Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2016, 06:29   #31

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'
Re: Stray Current Isolation Testing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post
I once worked on a C&C who's lead keel was so reactive that both the keel and saildrive were eating each other away despite all attempts to get coatings to stick etc. In the end we disconnected the bonding wire between the two components and now both coexist quite happily. The keel floats at it's own potential and the engine & saildrive (a Yanmar) are bonded to the vessel grounding system and galvanic isolator.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Boatbod, I'm loosing a lot of lead (no outdrive though) and am considering lifting the bonding to the keel. When you did this, did you put a separate anode on the lead keel or is lead noble enough to not require it when allowed to float.. similar to my bronze thru's which float without protection?
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 14:24   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
What about those low -145mV readings on the bronze unbonded through hull. Does that provide any info/concern?
I wouldn't worry too much about that. Unbonded bronze thru hulls float at wildly low values. Unless you see pink on the bronze, leave them alone.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 14:25   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
Boatbod, I'm loosing a lot of lead (no outdrive though) and am considering lifting the bonding to the keel. When you did this, did you put a separate anode on the lead keel or is lead noble enough to not require it when allowed to float.. similar to my bronze thru's which float without protection?
We considered doing that but ultimately did not. After two seasons it still looks ok. My preference would be to let the keel float and remain isolated. Biggest downside is implications for lightning grounding.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 22:42   #34

It normal for a boats to have the battery switch turn off and still have DC power going to the bulge pumps. That would explain why your reading voltage in the bulge water when the battery switch is off. I wonder what would happen if you disconnected the fuse or wiring? That's assuming the bulge wiring is bypassing the battery switch.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 08:43   #35

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
It normal for a boats to have the battery switch turn off and still have DC power going to the bulge pumps. That would explain why your reading voltage in the bulge water when the battery switch is off. I wonder what would happen if you disconnected the fuse or wiring? That's assuming the bulge wiring is bypassing the battery switch.
..could also be worth checking to see if there's a small leakage current on the bilge-switch itself, if part of the wiring to the bilge-switch or pump is partly submerged and insulation is failing, then it could explain some of the "DC off" losses, in addition to the obvious anode issue.

Tags
current