Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 17:50   #1

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.
Stray Current Detector

What do the electrical engineers think of this product boat corrosion or is there a better meter?
Ian
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 18:19   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Electrolytic corrosion is caused by forcing DC current to flow between two metal objects immersed in an electrolyte such as sea water. The source of current causing corrosion can be the DC battery system or it can occur naturally due to the chemical composition of the two metal parts in question. The former is usually called electrolytic corrosion and the latter galvanic corrosion. The device is aimed at the former not the latter. But the mechanism of corrosion is the same in either case.

However, the device they are promoting might actually work as a way to identify sources of stray forced current. It does nothing to eliminate that stray current as far as I can tell. You have to eliminate the source of leakage current yourself. I have my doubts that a lay boater could use this device effectively. They claim a guarantee of success in many places of their literature. That usually makes me suspicious but that's just me.

Dan
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 18:28   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Stray current detector

There are lots of posts on this and the subject has been covered in many sailing magazines. (Practical Sailor) If you spend some time researching this you will probably learn enough to become dangerous. There are especially some things you can do to discover likely problems in marinas and even locate the source-boat wreaking havoc on every one else. I read some posts by surveyors and Elecrical nerds that tell you how to buy the components to use with your multimeter to to build your own tool. Good Hunting.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 19:29   #4
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

I'm with Nicholson. This is a tool to use to discover stray current corrosion. Yes, there is some good info on the site.

But the person selling this is showing their own ignorance of the problem and what they can accomplish with this device. First off it is not electrolysis. Professionals that deal with corrosion problems call this stray current corrosion, as opposed to galvanic corrosion and various other types of corrosion. see New Boatbuilders Home Page - Corrosion On Boats
Old 09-02-2012, 20:09   #5

The thing I find interesting is you apparently don't have to disconnect anything to test to see if there is a fault ,but of course you need to disconnect circuits to locate the fault.
Ian.
Old 09-02-2012, 21:10   #6
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

There have been huge advances in test equipment in the last 20 years. Many items now work fine with no physical connection to the circuit and without disconnecting anything (thank God for that!)
Old 09-02-2012, 21:30   #7

A Fluke 360 clamp meter is capable of finding leakage currents down to a small fraction of a milliamp. It is an extremely capable meter, and quite expensive ~$700. It is worth reading about it here: Fluke 360 AC Current Leakage Clamp Meter, Electrical Clamp Meter - Fluke
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 13:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
A Fluke 360 clamp meter is capable of finding leakage currents down to a small fraction of a milliamp. It is an extremely capable meter, and quite expensive ~$700. It is worth reading about it here: Fluke 360 AC Current Leakage Clamp Meter, Electrical Clamp Meter - Fluke
Nice meter but only AC.
Old 27-12-2018, 16:56   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Stray Current Detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion-Eng View Post
My accuracy is 10 millionths of an amp. Design life is 20 years. On line support included.
Virtually every post you've made in this forum is a blatant advertisement for your service or product. I suggest you familiarize yourself with the forum rules:

Marine Service Providers may not use any section of the forum to discuss their products or services unless answering a direct question and even in this case may not quote prices or post links, images, videos or contact details in support of that response.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 17:07   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Virtually every post you've made in this forum is a blatant advertisement for your service or product. I suggest you familiarize yourself with the forum rules:

Exactly correct.

G-Eng poster is reminded that he may only post information about his product in the commercial section ONLY! Repeated posting adverts for his product in other sections should not be done and will be addressed.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 18:25   #11
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

Marine Service Providers may not use any section of the forum to discuss their products or services unless answering a direct question and even in this case may not quote prices or post links, images, videos or contact details in support of that response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Exactly correct.

G-Eng poster is reminded that he may only post information about his product in the commercial section ONLY! Repeated posting adverts for his product in other sections should not be done and will be addressed.
I remind you that G-Eng hasn't posted to this 6 (almost 7) year old thread. It is a bit disingenuous to cross quote someone to a very old thread - IMHO.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 18:37   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I remind you that G-Eng hasn't posted to this 6 (almost 7) year old thread. It is a bit disingenuous to cross quote someone to a very old thread - IMHO.
Did it ever cross your mind that maybe he (or somebody) deleted his posts in this thread? Try to keep up, chief.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 19:02   #13
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Did it ever cross your mind that maybe he (or somebody) deleted his posts in this thread? Try to keep up, chief.
Roger that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	why-are-you-running-gif-3.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	182828  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current