Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-09-2016, 08:47   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Strange Generator Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Speaking of either epoxy or Loc-tite... not sure you could get the stuff to run inside, between the female and mail parts of the inlet fitting... without separating the pieces first.

That'd be good to know; if I thought red Loc-tite would seep into there, I'd probably try that in a heartbeat... but after all, the fitting is originally supposed to be liquid-tight...

That was why I'd first thought of some kind of mechanical fastening, like a hose-clamp...

-Chris
The parts are fully separated, so no problem getting the adhesive in.

I couldn't find any Red Loctite in Cowes in the old town (I have no car to get to the industrial estates around), so I'm going to try epoxy. Supposed to work fine on pot metal. I'll carefully treat with acetone first, and clamp the parts together. We shall see whether it works!

Old 16-09-2016, 08:48   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Yep, carp.

But I think a big-a$$ hose clamp around the whole upper assembly, including the inlet port/hose fitting, could work. Or maybe a wire tie or zip tie. At least enough to avoid catastrophic failure.

-Chris
Good idea -- I'll try this!

Old 16-09-2016, 11:06   #33

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The parts are fully separated, so no problem getting the adhesive in.

I couldn't find any Red Loctite in Cowes in the old town (I have no car to get to the industrial estates around), so I'm going to try epoxy. Supposed to work fine on pot metal. I'll carefully treat with acetone first, and clamp the parts together. We shall see whether it works!

Ah. Given that your parts are already separated, then, yep, I'd add some stuff. I don't want to pull our new one apart in order to fix it that way, though, also on the assumption that it was "glued" that way already as it was made up in the first place. (He said, hopefully.)

Hence the idea about the hose clamp or ties.

-Chris

Tags
generator

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: