Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2016, 04:09   #16

Boat: Fortune 30
Re: Sterling Procharge Ultra Battery Charger Problems

Pine Painter, this isn't Ericoh88, but we thought we'd let you know how we've faired with our charger since this original post.

We still have the same battery charger with the same problems. Sterling did replace the charger once for us but the second one had the same problems. When we are away from the boat we always have someone checking the boat for us and several times they've had to reset the charger for us. Other than that the charger works fine.

Technical support from Sterling was dismal. We were really disappointed with their lack of interest.

Manny
Yofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:56   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Sounds like some of you may have received a California Emissions Compliant charger or CEC compliant unit. Best thing to do is to turn that feature off. You want to run it in PS mode not BC mode.....

When you first boot the newer CEC compliant chargers (ProMariner ProNautic P and Sterling ProCharge Ultra) you will see 888 on the screen followed by "bc" for about 5-7 seconds.

While "bc" is still on the screen hit the up or down arrow until it says "ps" then hit enter. The charger is now running as a standard battery charger and no longer beholden to the laws of the State of California which force the charger to turn off the display and go to sleep....
Old 04-02-2016, 08:02   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Sounds like some of you may have received a California Emissions Compliant charger or CEC compliant unit. Best thing to do is to turn that feature off. You want to run it in PS mode not BC mode.....

Mine also was / is this way, it's covered in the installation manual with a good explanation and instructions on how to disable the feature.
I was under the impression that they were all this way?
I particularity like that it can be used as a power supply with the batteries disconnected too, I didn't expect that.

On edit, that doesn't explain the fans running on high though?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:52   #19

Yofy, did you call Stirling power in the UK? I found them very helpful , even spoke to Charles himself when he was manning the tech support line.
I have a pro charge, combi , alt to bat, galvanic isolator and a CSVR and no problems in 20 months, the only problem I have had with electrical power kit was with a Victron mppt controller and that has been replaced( know problem apparently).
I would recommend Stirling power, all works as advertised and reasonably price.
The only relationship I have is as a happy customer.

Regards

Ab

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Abgreenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:18   #20

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

On edit, that doesn't explain the fans running on high though?
I had similar problems with the charger randomly showing 0.0V and 0 Amps after being turned on, despite the 3 batteries at ~12.3 - 12.5V, with fans running at full speed. It was especially bad at cold temps. I was able to get the charger going at freezing temps by blowing warm air with a heat gun across the circuit board. Then it slowly started reading some little voltage. When it was reading ~1.5V, I turned of 120V and turned it back on, then the charger worked.

I described this to tech support. They asked what color the bottom cover is (grey = pre-CEC version) and I got told to pay for shipment for a new unit. They then shipped a replacement unit with red bottom cover (CEC version).

So far the new unit is working, including starting at cold temps. I can not complain about the service/support.

Reading above posts, to me this looks like there is a more than normal failure rate. I am also not impressed by the flimsiness of the plastic wire clamp downs, with tiny screws going into more plastic. I would not recommend this to my friends.

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:21   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Mine has the red bottom and has not exhibited this symptom, but it has not been in freezing temps either
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 13:17   #22

Boat: Mason 44

Pine Painter

The symptoms described did not occur again. The UK support did not reply my email nor did the local dealer in Singapore.

I avoid leaving any high amp charger on continuously. Would add a timer just like the one I used for my window air cond.

To be fair, I like Pro Sterling people. I bought 2 units in May 2013 was told by a Singapore local dealer that the unit would carry one year warranty only.

When I install the units in Sep 2014, one unit did not work. I informed the dealer and he said the warranty is over and I have to pay for shipping to/fro and repair. He suggested that if I have the time, he would bring it back to tech support at no cost to me for a repair estimate and I can decide later to continue with the repair or not.

Couple of months later he asked me to collect a new replacement from the dock master office. After collecting a new unit, I asked about the repair cost or shipping, he gave me an invoice for SGD 160 / USD 114 to cover one way shipping only.

Now I have 3 units and yes I would certainly buy Pro Sterling again. They stand behind their products.
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 19:52   #23

A nit, but for anyone who might wonder what it has to do with emissions, CEC actually stand for the California Energy Commission not "California Emissions" .
J Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 21:51   #24

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42E

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with this piece of kit. I am much better informed to make a choice.
cheers
Andy
Pine Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 18:35   #25

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I know it has been a long time but I am looking at a

"Pro Charge Ultra
12 V - 60 A
3 Isolated output
Advanced Digital , PFC
New-Unused"

It is a grey one, so old I presume.
https://sarasota.craigslist.org/bpo/...096537288.html

Anyone with thoughts/recommendations.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:53   #26

Boat: Fortune 30

Well all we I can say is that while our charger is still working we also have the same problem. We need to have someone check on the boat a couple of times a week if we are away. Just this month it shut down twice. Once I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of the fan running...sure sign it's gone off. Reset and it's good again.

Still a very annoying problem. I wouldn't buy one again personally.
Manny
Yofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:40   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I know it has been a long time but I am looking at a

"Pro Charge Ultra
12 V - 60 A
3 Isolated output
Advanced Digital , PFC
New-Unused"

It is a grey one, so old I presume.
https://sarasota.craigslist.org/bpo/...096537288.html

Anyone with thoughts/recommendations.

That is a very early one. Software has been updated and other minor tweaks since then.
Old 06-05-2020, 17:03   #28

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
That is a very early one. Software has been updated and other minor tweaks since then.
Thank you.

Tags
battery