Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2015, 10:48   #1

Boat: Catalina 320 MK II
Sterling Charge Pro Ultra Conditioning Charge?

I just upgraded my house batteries to four 6V Trojan T105+ flooded lead acid batteries. As part of this upgrade, I installed a 40A Sterling Charge Pro Ultra per Mainesail's recommendations. Mainsail's website was very comprehensive and helpful. I now have everything set up and working well. I am happy with this system and charger, but I have a few questions that I cannot seem to find answers to in m y charger manual or on the internet:

1. What is the "conditioning" charge cycle? My charger's remote display shows this cycle periodically and I am not familiar with its purpose, and what the parameters are for its initiation. I am familiar with "Bulk, Absorption, and Float" charge profiles, but not "conditioning."

2. I cannot seem to find in my Sterling Owners Manual or on-line, the specifics of the various charge profiles for this charger for flooded lead acid batteries. I just wrote an email to Sterling USA and hope to get this information. Does anyone know of another source of this information?

3. It looks like both of the flooded lead acid charge profiles don't quite match the Trojan T105+ battery specs. One of the parameters was off my 0.1 volts I recall. Would it be recommended to set up a custom flooded lead acid charge profile to perfectly match my new Trojan T105+ battery specs?

Any information and/or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

David Swanson
S/V Emily Ann
Catalina 320 MK II
Mukilteo, Washington
mukilteomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 11:03   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Sterling Charge Pro Ultra Conditioning Charge?

I have the 50 amp version of this charger and my best understanding is that the conditioning charge is to help prevent sulfating of the lead plates. I am not certain of this, that is just what my understanding is.
Old 31-05-2015, 12:08   #3

That is my thinking as well, however, I am hoping to get more specific information. I'll post whatever I receive from Sterling-USA. Thanks for he reply.

Dave
Old 31-05-2015, 13:37   #4
Eternal Member

The "conditioning" note just means that the charger has reverted to the absorption charge voltage. It does this automatically and periodically to help prevent sulfation.

The Sterling charger also has a "21-day battery health cycle" which helps in this regard.

The Preset 1 default voltages for FLA batteries are 14.8 absorption and 13.6 float. These are a pretty good match for the T-105s.

The manual for this charger isn't great. It's file is 443kb long. If you shoot me an email I'll send it to you. bill at wdsg dot com

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 14:05   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

By the way, this charger has a terrific equalization cycle - very good for the T105's, but you have to toggle it manually.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 14:40   #6
Eternal Member

Evans is right....it's a great charger.

Instructions for getting into the equalization mode aren't clear in the manual. Here's my rewrite (for the Promariner charger which is identical to the Sterling):

Getting the ProNautic 1240P into the Equalization Mode (15.5VDC)

The manual doesn’t explain this well.

1. Be sure battery is reasonably well charged. Should be less than 0.5A @ 14.8 VDC.
2. Press the Setup button for > 5 seconds.
3. Release the button; the LEDs will be flashing.
4. Arrow down using the w button to the Custom setting at the bottom right, then press the w button one more time only. The Equalization LED should be flashing and the windows should be displaying, ‘15.5V’.
5. Press the UP and DOWN arrows simultaneously and hold for 3 seconds. The charger should go into the Equalization Mode.

Bill
Old 01-06-2015, 14:48   #7

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukilteomaniac View Post
I just upgraded my house batteries to four 6V Trojan T105+ flooded lead acid batteries. As part of this upgrade, I installed a 40A Sterling Charge Pro Ultra per Mainesail's recommendations. Mainsail's website was very comprehensive and helpful. I now have everything set up and working well. I am happy with this system and charger, but I have a few questions that I cannot seem to find answers to in m y charger manual or on the internet:

1. What is the "conditioning" charge cycle? My charger's remote display shows this cycle periodically and I am not familiar with its purpose, and what the parameters are for its initiation. I am familiar with "Bulk, Absorption, and Float" charge profiles, but not "conditioning."

2. I cannot seem to find in my Sterling Owners Manual or on-line, the specifics of the various charge profiles for this charger for flooded lead acid batteries. I just wrote an email to Sterling USA and hope to get this information. Does anyone know of another source of this information?

3. It looks like both of the flooded lead acid charge profiles don't quite match the Trojan T105+ battery specs. One of the parameters was off my 0.1 volts I recall. Would it be recommended to set up a custom flooded lead acid charge profile to perfectly match my new Trojan T105+ battery specs?

Any information and/or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

David Swanson
S/V Emily Ann
Catalina 320 MK II
Mukilteo, Washington
I installed a Sterling 50 Amp 4 stage digital charger 5 years ago with 6v Trojan batteries. Has worked flawlessly; although, have renewed batteries since.
Have never seen 'Conditioning' Cycle on my readouts and I have Sterling Battery Charger Controller and Sterling Power Management with Amp Hr Counter.
You quote 3 Stages, the 4th Stage is 'Desulphating' which occurs automatically every week. Perhaps this is your 'Conditioning' Stage.
BTW: When I first purchased Sterling equipment I did have cause for Tech Support and I called UK direct from the Caribbean and on numerous occasions spoke with Sterling, the Owner & Designer who was extremely obliging and helpful.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 21:42   #8

Thanks everyone for the informative replies. Here is what the Sterling-USA people provided to my questions. They sent a table with the various float, conditioning, and absorption voltages. I can't seem to find a way to attach this information.

Hi Dave.

Details about the flooded lead acid profile are attached:

I’m not sure what “conditioning”, I believe it may be a term that refers to one of the charge steps, but I’m used to the terms “bulk, absorption and float” maybe conditioning means float but you’d have to ask Charles Jr. to confirm this at 207-245-1113.

As for equalization mode, use it carefully, it is overcharging your old battery bank on purpose in effort to rejuvenate old banks. Can and only should be used on flooded batteries. May cause battery gassing, be careful when equalizing and be sure you really need to.

Thank you,

Adam Lovski
STERLING POWER USA. LLC
406 Harold Dow Highway, Suite #4
Eliot M.E. 03903
Phone: 207-226-3500
Fax: 207-226-3449

Sterling Power USA - Marine Battery Chargers, Marine Battery Isolators, DC to DC Waterproof Battery Charger, Advanced Alternator Regulators, IP68 Chargers, ProConnect Battery Relays, DC Powered Battery Chargers & Alternator Powered Battery Chargers

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2015 1:13 PM
To: info@sterling-power-usa.com
Cc: DAVE Swanson
Subject: Wanted Charge Profile Definitions for 40A Sterling Ultra Pro Chrger

I just recently purchased and installed a Sterling Pro Charge Ultra 40A in my recent model Catalina 320 sailboat. This charger is now charging 4 6V Trojan T105+ batteries that serve as my house bank. I have the charger setting on the appropriate flooded battery charge profile setting for these batteries.

What I am looking for is information on the charge profiles for the flooded battery setting. In particular, I want to learn more about the "conditioning" portion of the charge profile. I can't seem to find any information in the manual or on your website that define and describe the charge profiles for this charger. Can you please send me the charge profile definitions for this charger for the flooded lead acid battery types? Also, can you please explain what the "conditioning" part of the charge profile is and how often and long it lasts? Also, how do I initiate an "equalization" charge with this particular charger and how often should i do this?

Thank you for your help and information. I am very happy with your charger, I would just like more complete information on its operation and how it is charging my new house bank.

Thanks!

David Swanson
S/V Emily Ann
2007 C320 MK II
Mukilteo, Washington
(425) 508-7971 mobile
kswanson123@comcast.net
Old 01-06-2015, 21:56   #9
Eternal Member

As I said above, the "conditioning" note just means that the charger has reverted to the absorption charge voltage.

Here's a table from the instructions for the ProMariner Pronautic 1240P (identical to the Sterling).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Conditioning.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	103055

Bill
Old 12-07-2015, 22:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Bill are they the same charger under different brand names?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 23:14   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Yes....identical except for the product label, stickers and manuals. The battery charger was designed/developed by the partners that then split up and formed Sterling and Pronautic. So they both have rights to the same design.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 02:53   #12

Boat: Binliner 195

Get a good hydrometer and start recording SG's, Every bank is a little different & what the charger/ battery monitor etc tells you can be accurate, But on the other side it can also be wildly inaccurate & will drift over time anyway, No substitute for checking SG's at least once a month :-) ( true indication of fully charged batteries is when ALL cells stop rising)
Tim
blackswan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 03:46   #13
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Yes, basically the same charger. I believe Sterling has a longer warranty period. Other very minor differences.

Have installed and used both. Wouldn't hesitate to buy either one. They're great chargers.

Bill