Just about 3 days ago I installed a balmar
smart gauge alongside my mastervolt. So far, I feel like I'm getting much better data from the balmar
. It says in the instructions that it takes 4 days to sync properly but what I am seeing from this gauge makes much more sense than what I'm seeing from the mastervolt.
Basically, the mastervolt is showing me being full when I reach float voltage (13.2) rather than absorption target voltage (14.8). So it's saying I'm at 99% full while the smart gauge was showing low 80's. It took almost all day with my solar
to get up to 98% charge on the smart gauge.
The mastervolt is also way off on voltage readings. When charging
the mastervolt and smart gauge show very close voltages but when drawing down, the mastervolt reads a much lower voltage... About .2 volts. So my volt meter and my smart gauge read the same but my $700 mastervolt shunt is way off.
Incidentally, when I asked my mastervolt dealer about the discrepancy he had nothing to say and the line has suddenly gone dead. Since I'm still within my 1 year warranty I think I'm going to challenge the install on my credit card. I tried to get him to test it many moons ago but he claimed I needed to drive the boat back to Maryland
from the Carolina's. I bet I get a referral to a local mastervolt dealer real quick. Mastervolt has only ever responded to one generic email
I sent in regards to how they define a charge cycle, so I'm generally displeased with their customer service
Sent from my iPad
using Cruisers Sailing Forum