Re: Start Air Conditioner Off Inverter Then Switch To Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post

Have you priced one?

Old 03-06-2016, 10:35   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Any 2000W generator that can't easily start and run a 5,000 BTU airconditioner, is either really sick, or you have a really, really hard stating airconditioner.
My old 1,000W Honda I took to Desert Storm many years ago would start and run a 5,000 BTU window unit.
I was going to put a window unit in my 71 Westfalia Campmobile and run it with the Honda, but the wife wouldn't let me, said it was too Redneck.
But then she hated my Redneck ceiling fan I had on the boat a few Summers ago, it was a 20' box fan tied to the port lights and hand rails, blowing down on the Settee, yes it looked Redneck, but it worked

Old 03-06-2016, 14:01   #18

transmitterdan has a good point. Starting the AC with the inverter then switching to a generator is not an option. Although, if the generator is not strong enough to start the AC by it self then a Victron or similar unit with "power assist" would be the way to go.
Old 03-06-2016, 17:16   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Run both generator and inverter into a power strip start the ac then turn the inverter off .
I run 2 inverters this way to run heavier loads than one inverter will support all the time just need a double male plug cord to run from inverter to power strip.
Old 03-06-2016, 19:31   #20

Newhaul, you cannot connect two disparate power sources such as a generator and an invertor or a generator and power company together at the same into one outlet because each will be at a different stage of their respective cycles. You cannot even connect two same-brand generators together unless they have been manufactured to be connected

You need expensive equipment to bring the cylces together -- not a power strip.

While I appreciate the replies, we are getting way off topic here, and it's become yet another of the many, many, many web forums on whether my generator A will start air conditioner B, and use of hard start capacitors.

Posters here say no problems, their generator will easily start and run their air conditioner.

Yes, that particular combination of brands may work.

But I can tell you here in Australia, locked rotor amps and other specs are hard to come by, because manufacturers and retailers prefer their specs to be platitudes which state the bleeding obvious" "this air conditioner will keep you delightfully cool in summer".

** My generator is a Kipor 2000, which, like Honda 2000s, is 1600 running, 2000 peak.**

Kelivinator in the USA I think have inverter compressors on their small units. In Australia they don't. If I recall, their start current here--which they do not make public--is in the 3000 watt range.

Midea 1.6kw air conditioners (about 5500 btu) here publish their start current as 11 amps. 11 x 240 volts = 2640 watts.

The brands are very limited for small window air cons in this country.
Old 05-06-2016, 14:34   #21

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

Wait, I have done this very thing, with my honda 1000 and a 5k window unit in the companionway. What you have to do is start the ac in fan only, compressor off. Once fan motor reaches operational speed and load has leveled off (low setting is better), then you engage the compressor. Both the fan and compressor loads are double at startup, by starting one at a time and letting load level off, a 1000 watt generator will run that size unit.
Old 05-06-2016, 14:52   #22
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Don't forget that the compressor shuts off when the thermostat tells it the cabin is cool enough. It then restarts when the cabin warms. You'd have to be flipping switches each time it did that.

Don't over think this. Try it with the generator. If it works, great you're done. If it doesn't work, add a Supco like Carlf recommended. Then it will work.

The first air conditioner on my boat took about 600 watts to run. It was 5000 BTU. I tried to run it with a Honda 2k watt generator and it just hummed. It had a locked rotor amps of about 3200 watts. I put a Supco SPP6 on it and it would start and run fine on the little 1k Honda.

Tags
generator, inverter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: