Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Should I Install Spreader Lights which Shine Up as Well as Down?
Ugh! Are you crazy? What's next, shimmering blue underwater lights like on a Scumsucker? 7 31.82%
Yeah, it will look nice! And easy to find your boat in the anchorage, too. 15 68.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 10:54   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Spreader Light Poll!

I'm in Cowes getting my boat ready to be lifted out over the winter. The mast is coming out for the first time ever -- I'm a little nervous about it.

The mast is coming out to do a bunch of projects -- change out everything on the masthead, install AIS, mobile and Wifi antennae on spreaders, rig a couple extra halyards, change halyard sheaves, add a mast winch, etc., etc., etc., -- read $, $, $

I'm straightening up the deck, it's dark, and this big Oyster comes in for a short stay. They switch on their spreader lights -- all of them. Now I am dissatisfied with my single beam deck light, and one of the many mast projects is to install better spreader lights that cover more than just the foredeck.

Now this big Oyster with a tall three-spreader mast (like mine ) has spreader lights which shine UP as well as down, illuminating the whole mast. It seems to me that this looks really nice -- a really impressive sight. Maybe I should do something like that. But then I start to question my own taste -- would it be tacky? Hence this poll. Vote early and often!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:03   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Down is nice for working on the deck

I'd love up on a separate switch to be able to see the masthead at noght
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:22   #3

Boat: Allures 44
Re: Spreader Light Poll!

I think if you have lights illuminating your stick you are compensating for something.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:22   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm in Cowes getting my boat ready to be lifted out over the winter. The mast is coming out for the first time ever -- I'm a little nervous about it.

The mast is coming out to do a bunch of projects -- change out everything on the masthead, install AIS, mobile and Wifi antennae on spreaders, rig a couple extra halyards, change halyard sheaves, add a mast winch, etc., etc., etc., -- read $, $, $

I'm straightening up the deck, it's dark, and this big Oyster comes in for a short stay. They switch on their spreader lights -- all of them. Now I am dissatisfied with my single beam deck light, and one of the many mast projects is to install better spreader lights that cover more than just the foredeck.

Now this big Oyster with a tall three-spreader mast (like mine ) has spreader lights which shine UP as well as down, illuminating the whole mast. It seems to me that this looks really nice -- a really impressive sight. Maybe I should do something like that. But then I start to question my own taste -- would it be tacky? Hence this poll. Vote early and often!
Anything that makes you more visable while at anchor has merit IMHO. You might also consider adding a PA Horn under one of the spreaders at the mast. These are very useful with a loadhailer, particularly one that includes automatic horn signals. (One on our old boat also proved useful for playing the Theme Song to Star Wars when approaching the finish line in a race as it did tend to make everyone laugh at our sometimes otherwise terrible finishes!)
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:36   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Easy to turn off when you don't want them.
The cost is small. These days the electricity consumption is small.
The only difficulty is installing them. Take advantage of the easy installation when the mast is down.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:17   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
I think if you have lights illuminating your stick you are compensating for something.
LOL!

I suspect there's something to that And suspect that the taste of such a setup is somewhat questionable . . .

Still I find it strangely appealing . . . always admired the beautiful rigs lit up like that, when I came across them. There was an old but beautifully maintained Oyster 66 in Dartmouth last summer, on a mooring . . .
Old 12-11-2012, 12:32   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

would those upward glowing lights illuminate your sails ?? if so--is a good back up emergency measure.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:40   #8

They are worth it, and they are not just 'flash'.

On a friends boat (Mast 78' from deck, 3 spreaders), he installed lights pointing up, and also pointing down.

The downward pointing (only from the lowest spreader) is connected to the deck flood lights. Great for working on the deck at night.

The upward pointing are on a separate curcuit, and are great for:
trying to see any problems with halyard or sail at night.
lighting up boat at night in high traffic areas.

He installed the DR. Led Kevin light that only uses 0.6A @ 12V (and they can be powered from 10-28 VDC). Lots of light, and low power draw.

The real benefits are well worth it.

Saves trying to use a spotlight to see what is going on on the mast at night, and helps light up the deck if one is trying to work on it.

I would put them on, but be aware that they have real functionality, (and look quite nice as well). They are not JUST flash....
EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:57   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Most of the boats I've seen with uppy spreader lights also have those really really cool downy underwater hull lights. Blue. Helps illuminate crew when they're skinny-dipping.

I don't think you're allowed to install one without the other.
Old 12-11-2012, 13:44   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

And if the mast is planned to go up before Xmas, then get the tree lashed to the masthead before it goes back up, saves a lot of grief later.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 13:50   #11

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

The up lighting is great to show commercial vessels your location. Do not assume everyone is receiving AIS. Most sailboats are not good radar targets and are hard to see at night, a lit up sail and a radio call go along way!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 13:52   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Most of the boats I've seen with uppy spreader lights also have those really really cool downy underwater hull lights. Blue. Helps illuminate crew when they're skinny-dipping.

I don't think you're allowed to install one without the other.
LOL! The funny thing is that such boats tend to have a much greater proportion of nubile skinny-dipping crew, than my boat does. Is there a cause-effect relationship there?
Old 12-11-2012, 14:02   #13

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead

LOL! The funny thing is that such boats tend to have a much greater proportion of nubile skinny-dipping crew, than my boat does. Is there a cause-effect relationship there?
Must be like those green fishing lights...
Old 12-11-2012, 14:38   #14

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
OH MAN, Sweeeeeeeeeeet ., Reminds me of the 70s when a used to do the moonlight sailing trips on a 48 ft Paul Lindenburg cat named Calypso.
Old 12-11-2012, 15:39   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
If a guy with a Moody 54 can't get nubiles to skinny-dip off his transom, even without the extra lights, then we need to open a different thread to explain how things work.

Perhaps we should start a remedial cruising forum?

(Hint: Might be helpful to leave the English Channel and take that boat someplace warm.)

Tags
poll