Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 20:59   #16

Boat: Whitby 42
Re: Spent the off season rewiring my DC system, with working pictures this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Looks great. I hope I missed the ends of each wire being numbered.
I wanted to easily be able to tell what the wires are without having to reference a schematic so I used heat shrink labels on both ends of each wire and labeled them with the load names instead of numbers.
AHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:23   #17

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Spent the off season rewiring my DC system, with working pictures this time!

Wiring, terminations and hardware all look good, but I hope I'm just missing the 'terminal grease' or 'anti-oxidation compound' or 'dielectric compound' that should be present on every connection, to ensure longevity and to ease repair and modifications...this is in my opinion not optional; i.e. if the connections are not so protected, I'd go back through the whole system (what a PITA) and make sure they were... I'd make a bet that the most often queried subjects in 'Electrical: etc.' and 'Engines: etc.' have to do with phantom connection problems; the 'greasing' or 'compounding' of these connections will go a long way to avoiding, alleviating or postponing such issues...

Be careful when using these products on low amperage, signal sensitive applications like antenna connections or multipin electronic connectors, as some 'greases' can be conducive and interfere with such connection's autonomy.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:15   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHoy View Post
I wanted to easily be able to tell what the wires are without having to reference a schematic so I used heat shrink labels on both ends of each wire and labeled them with the load names instead of numbers.
Great! Glad it was just I couldn't make them out in the pics. Again great job.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 13:23   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHoy View Post
I found a schematic someone had drawn up for a powerboat online and borrowed some of there symbols, I also drew some of my own. If you would like the native file I'd be happy to share!
That would be fantastic, thanks. PM if you want or whatever.

Cheers,
James
tek-noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:06   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post

Be careful when using these products on low amperage, signal sensitive applications like antenna connections or multipin electronic connectors, as some 'greases' can be conducive and interfere with such connection's autonomy.
Use dielectric grease which is not conductive.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:45   #21
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Dielectric grease is non conductive; by definition.

EDIT: I just noticed mitiempo has posted the same information...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring