Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2014, 09:18   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Spend My Money - Equipment Buy

Ok - I am zeroing in on the main equipment and would appreciate some input.

Battery Monitor - Choices were Victron BMV602 or SmartCharge - I found BMV602 for $165 and the best on SmarCharge is $299 so the price spread was bigger than I thought. Anyone found cheaper? It's a no brainer for me now SmartCharge is the way to go.

Charger - Decided to go with 3 channel and 30a. Finalists are Promariner 1230P & Sterling PCU1230. Both are around $330. I am leaning towards ProMariner because Sperling's supply chain seems thin. I think only Sterling-usa distributes them. Any opinions about how they compare or any other thoughts?

Solar Controller - With 100w system and a weekender boat I couldn't talk myself into an MPPT controller - Plan is Morningstars SunSaver Duo - Any thoughts? I've found several places that have the package with remote meter for $130

ACR - For charging the start battery I am going with Blue Sea 7611 ACR. The option is Blue Sea 7610. If I read it right the 7611 leaves the batteries combined to a lower discharge voltage. This allows one to use "part" of the start battery for house loads. I like that idea. My engine has never failed to start on two or three revs so there is a lot of potential unused waitting there all weekend.

So that kit is pushing $1,000 plus tax and shipping. The air conditioner is about $350 and I reckon at least $650 in other stuff - LED bulbs, wire, terminals, buss bars, fuses and holders, new "compact" 1-2-all switch etc., USB & cig plug outlets. Plus the a/c/ side which isn't too much.

Plus I am installing a new (previously purchased iPad/iPod compatible stereo (no CD or radio function - that's so 1990's - LOL) & spreader lights.

I 'm already all in all in with this - may as well finish it right. So $2,000-$2,500 to generate 50-80 amps a day - Boaters are crazy...

The good news is I have bought most all the stuff for the interior and the bill of materials on the interior is looking to run well under $1,000. Topsides (all done) and anti-foul another $1,000

Even if I am off a bit it's $4,500 give or take for a completely new insides. There are 9 or 10 Maxi 77s in Singapore. This is definitely going to make Relax Lah! the best one here.

I won't tell you what I pay for storage but I coulda bought another Maxi in the 1 year 8 months and counting...

Cheers!

PS - Page 1 of wiring diagram attached. Work in progress. Feel free to comment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Relax Lah! Schematic.pdf (51.6 KB, 45 views)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 09:35   #2

Re: Spend My Money - Equipment Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Ok - I am zeroing in on the main equipment and would appreciate some input.

Battery Monitor - Choices were Victron BMV602 or SmartCharge - I found BMV602 for $165 and the best on SmarCharge is $299 so the price spread was bigger than I thought. Anyone found cheaper? It's a no brainer for me now SmartCharge is the way to go.

OK, let's say cost is not an issue. Stay with me here. They do two different things. If you've read Maine Sail's writeup on the SG, then you should know this. Depends on what YOU want to measure and what other instrumentation you have.

Charger - Decided to go with 3 channel and 30a. Finalists are Promariner 1230P & Sterling PCU1230. Both are around $330. I am leaning towards ProMariner because Sperling's supply chain seems thin. I think only Sterling-usa distributes them. Any opinions about how they compare or any other thoughts?

OK, let's do this again! If you've read Maine Sail's writeup on the chargers, they are exactly the same. What's the issue?

Solar Controller - With 100w system and a weekender boat I couldn't talk myself into an MPPT controller - Plan is Morningstars SunSaver Duo - Any thoughts? I've found several places that have the package with remote meter for $130

Dunno, your call.

ACR - For charging the start battery I am going with Blue Sea 7611 ACR. The option is Blue Sea 7610. If I read it right the 7611 leaves the batteries combined to a lower discharge voltage. This allows one to use "part" of the start battery for house loads. I like that idea. My engine has never failed to start on two or three revs so there is a lot of potential unused waitting there all weekend.

Why bother with Blue Sea? Buy a Yandina Combiner, same thing, but has a LIFETIME warranty which is honored, but rarely needed, they're still in business and are active on this forum. I've had one since 1998 and it's great.

Boaters are crazy...

Yes, we are. Makes getting "boat bites" (aka skinned knuckles) easier to handle.

The good news is

You now know how to size fuses!

PS - Page 1 of wiring diagram attached. Work in progress. Feel free to comment.

I've given up on reviewing these after 15 years of helping other folks, online and off. Why? Sometimes it's like "reinventing the wheel."

Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams This is a very good basic primer for boat system wiring: Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 11:21   #3

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: Spend My Money - Equipment Buy

I've got the 30amp promariner, it's nice unit, you won't be able to bulk charge as fast as a 50amp or higher quality unit, but if you have a good solar setup that's probably not much of an issue.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, men, money