Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 08:19   #106

Re: Solbian Solar Panels

Don't know how it works from China, but I bought panels from Sweden and didn't have to pay any import taxes.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:36   #107

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO49 View Post
Let's say I decide to order solar panels from Lensunsolar or another brand from China how do I figure out what the import taxes will be ? I did a little research and found that import taxes on Chinese solar panels can range from 20% to 240%

Jeff
Good question. I ordered 2 100w panels from Aliexpress and I got surprised with a whopping anti-dumping fee. The first panel was free but the second one was taxed roughly 180% plus some other fees, totaling $254. This was more than the cost of both panels together. In retrospect it was naive to think I was really going to get "free shipping". I had to create a Importer ID with Homeland Security and fill out a bunch of forms about the nature of my product. Fedex was rather helpful but it involved a lot of back and forth. In the end I asked Fedex to dispute the charge for me and to my surprise it was reduced to $46. That's actually a reasonable duty to pay for importing I think, but in the end I would seriously reconsider ordering direct from China. You don't know what kind of mood DHS will be in when they levy fees or respond to your dispute. You can try calling Fedex's International Customer Account Services at 800-247-4747 for more info, but I think they mainly just pass on what DHS gives them to you.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 13:14   #108

Boat: Jeanneau SO49

OrangeCrush - thanks for that info. Import taxes have changed recently. When did you order the second solar panel?

Jeff
SO49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 13:53   #109

Quote:
OrangeCrush - thanks for that info. Import taxes have changed recently. When did you order the second solar panel?

Jeff

I ordered both at the same time in late September; it's just that for some reason they said the first one was duty free and all the fees were applied to the second panel. If you bought more than two, I'm guessing you'd pay the anti-dumping rate on every panel after the first one. I was surprised at first to get such huge fee, and even more surprised that it was negotiable. They seem to be good panels and the price was still good, just wasn't expecting that much of a headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-01-2017, 14:25   #110

Boat: Outbound 44

I've ordered flex solar panels twice off Aliexpress. The first time was 3 or 4 years ago with delivery to Virginia. I didn't pay any extra fees for 2 panels. The second time was delivery to New Zealand last year. Again no additional fees, but they did send me the wrong panels.
Old 10-01-2017, 15:27   #111

Fedex asked me a number of technical questions about the panels which I answered as best I could, but it's possible one of my responses triggered the anti-dumping fee, which was assessed a couple weeks after I had them. When it came to disputing I didn't need any explanation at all, just indicated "dispute".

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-01-2017, 14:16   #112

Re: Solbian Solar Panels - PET vs ETFE

Just had some correspondence with Qookka. They're saying panels coated with ETFE are less flexible than PET panels (even with fiberglass backing). Seems to agree with some descriptions I've read elsewhere. Has anyone had experience with ETFE panels - do they still make sense for a bimini?
Old 15-01-2017, 09:55   #113

Re: Solbian Solar Panels - Blocking Diodes

Been reading that you need blocking diodes in a parallel solar panel setup. Are these usually included in the junction boxes or do we add them separately? If so, how are they installed? Do they come with MC4 connectors and are just plugged in or is it a soldering job?

Jeff
Old 15-01-2017, 10:18   #114

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Solbian Solar Panels - Blocking Diodes

Quote:
Been reading that you need blocking diodes in a parallel solar panel setup. Are these usually included in the junction boxes or do we add them separately? If so, how are they installed? Do they come with MC4 connectors and are just plugged in or is it a soldering job?
With most parallel systems installing blocking diodes will lose more power than they will save, so I would not recommend installing them.

Most modern panels come only with bypass diodes so if you want blocking diodes you will need to add them. Soldering them into the supply wire is not difficult.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 11:16   #115

Hi Paul:

Can you please send me the link where you found these 120W ETFE panels - thanks, Jeff
Old 15-01-2017, 11:46   #116

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Hi Paul:

Can you please send me the link where you found these 120W ETFE panels - thanks, Jeff
Go to Aliexpress.com and search etfe solar. You will find many vendors.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 12:21   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Solbian Solar Panels - PET vs ETFE

Quote:
Just had some correspondence with Qookka. They're saying panels coated with ETFE are less flexible than PET panels (even with fiberglass backing). Seems to agree with some descriptions I've read elsewhere. Has anyone had experience with ETFE panels - do they still make sense for a bimini?
I have a 30w ETFE panel with GRP backing on the "garage" above our sliding hatch for a year. The garage surface is gently curving hence the need for a semi flexible panel. Also the 40kg dog like to sit on it as its warm in the summer sunshine

So far so good and I am looking at more possibly on the sprayhood.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 21:08   #118

Can anyone comment on the 'thermostability' of ETFE solar panels with aluminum versus fiberglass backing? Apparently the panels with fiberglass backing expand in the heat of the sun while aluminum don't. How big a problem is this expansion? Will the panels still lie flat?

I was thinking it best to avoid the aluminum backed panels figuring the corners would wear holes in the bimini fabric now I'm not sure.

Jeff
Old 26-01-2017, 09:52   #119

Re: Solar Controller - Solar Panels

We have three battery banks that would need to be charged by the solar panels. Our Balmar alternator charges them through a battery isolator but has a separate lead used to monitor battery voltage of the main house bank in order to control the charging cycle. Is anyone aware of a solar controller that works the same way? The Victron controllers seem to only monitor the voltage the battery connection which I don't think would not work in the case of a battery isolator.

Jeff
Old 27-01-2017, 11:30   #120

OK - so what I figured out is that I need a solar controller with a battery voltage sensing wire. That gets around any issues with the isolator. Morningstar and Outback Power make solar controllers like that but unfortunately do not make them large enough to support 600 watts of solar configured as 60 volts/10 amps from solar and 12 volts/50 amps to the batteries. Victron makes solar controllers that are plenty big but none in that range with battery voltage sensing input.

I guess I'll need to look around more.

Tags
panels, solar