Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 09:48   #76

Boat: O'Day 40
Re: Solbian Solar Panels

http://www.bruceschwab.com/uploads/2...an-handout.pdf

This shows the SP100 as 44 X 21.7 inches and the SL90L as 49 X 21.7.
The Aliexpress shows as 41 X 21 inches.

The Ali panel is about 90% of the area of the best Solbian and with about the same power. Maybe too good to be true? Or am I missing something?
Old 20-09-2016, 10:08   #77

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

I ended up ordering two of these for $120 each with free shipping. They were definitely the cheapest on Aliexpress and they look good for my purposes, albeit no ETFE in the listing. I'm planning on getting a separate Genasun 10A controller for each one and seeing how it's going when I check my battery monitor. The dimensions were perfect for me and I've already started sewing the velcro flaps for the bimini. I'll report back when I have some results!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 10:53   #78

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
http://www.bruceschwab.com/uploads/2...an-handout.pdf

This shows the SP100 as 44 X 21.7 inches and the SL90L as 49 X 21.7.
The Aliexpress shows as 41 X 21 inches.

The Ali panel is about 90% of the area of the best Solbian and with about the same power. Maybe too good to be true? Or am I missing something?
The 90l is the lower efficiency cells at 18%. I had two 100watt flex panels off of Aliexpress for 3 years and they delivered their rated output. Not the same quality as the Solbian but a fifth the price.
Old 20-09-2016, 23:17   #79

Boat: Mull 42-cold molded NZ 1970
Send a message via Skype™ to OceanPlanet

Solbian can still make the SL panels (90L, etc) and we have a few left. However the sales have been a fraction of the SP series, so will be phasing out the SL. My guess is that the low sales of the SL is because those looking for economy go Chinese, and those looking for max performance go SP.

Solbian has some new products brewing however we can't say anything about those yet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OceanPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 06:57   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The 90l is the lower efficiency cells at 18%. I had two 100watt flex panels off of Aliexpress for 3 years and they delivered their rated output. Not the same quality as the Solbian but a fifth the price.
Hi All!

I allow to speak my mind because I work in the photovoltaic market for special applications (radio bridges, boats, campers, remote areas) for many years now. Just a techincally point of view, nothing else.

BTW , I have to apologize for my English, I'm not english speaking.. so, you will find a lot of grammar errors.

Anyway, technically the 5 layers panel PET or even EFTE-PET with Sunpower is the cheapest semi-flexible panel that you can find but it also the panel with more problems at all.

For example check this pic

Many cells cracked in .. Easily undergo lamination and PET yellowing with time ..
Is really easy to crack the cells also in a normal use, moreover almost all the cheap Chinese panels are mate with cheap JB (junction boz) with only 2 or even 1 diode.

EFTE and Fiberglass with 7 layers are really better, more solid , sometimes made with good JB . The flaw is that the black version heats up a bit more, The flaw is that the black version heats up a bit more, and stops more dirt at the top (ETFE) because porous and not smooth .

For any question feel free to ask me, I have a lot of exprerience with those panels (also standard ones tbh) and I'm here for chare what I know better and ask for what I don't really know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	^C2B30BCB5E25214D4E9A669F9B1782CA78A5D1BAC301153571^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	131507  
Velanera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 11:18   #81

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velanera View Post
Hi All!

Anyway, technically the 5 layers panel PET or even EFTE-PET with Sunpower is the cheapest semi-flexible panel that you can find but it also the panel with more problems at all.
EFTE and Fiberglass with 7 layers are really better, more solid , sometimes made with good JB . The flaw is that the black version heats up a bit more, The flaw is that the black version heats up a bit more, and stops more dirt at the top (ETFE) because porous and not smooth .
:
Hi, can you recommend what panels you think are well-made and long-lasting, and avoid the problems you mention, then? I am under the impression that Soliban, Aurinco, and Renogy all use PET. And i don't know of any fiberglass-backed panels available except from China via Alibaba.
Vengeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 12:53   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeful View Post
Hi, can you recommend what panels you think are well-made and long-lasting, and avoid the problems you mention, then? I am under the impression that Soliban, Aurinco, and Renogy all use PET. And i don't know of any fiberglass-backed panels available except from China via Alibaba.
Hi Vengeful,
I must make a clarification fibreglass-backed panels prevent certain known issues. But one must remember that a good PET for example those you have appointed you (I know well Solbian) are better than a bad EFTE Fiberglass .

I know some manufacturers in Europe that produce or do produce while maintaining excellent quality standards, in other areas - in the United States - do not know.

I can suggest some brands with pros and cons, but it is just my opinion based on my work experience not the bible

PET :

SOLBIAN SOLBIAN Fotovoltaico Flessibile Leggero e Efficiente
pros: Generally good quality , Sunpower panels really good, good after after sales service - warranty

cons : High price, Good product but still fragile , you cannot buy directly from their website

Giocosolution GIOCOSOLUTIONS | Flexible Photovoltaic Panels | Solar Photovoltaic Regulators | LifePo4 Batteries | Made in Italy cells
pros: Quite good quality , less expensive than Sorbian, they don’t have an e-commerce but you can buy directly

cons : Not good after after sales service - warranty
Good product but still fragile , you cannot buy directly from their website

EFTE-FIBERGLASS

Lensun Lensun Solar Energy Store

pros: Generally good quality , Sunpower panels really good but they are moving to normal mono cells in the future - better price than Sorbian and well known brands, you can buy directly from their website

cons : Really bad warranty as happen quite often with chinese companies , if it brokes just buy another one :face palm: Sunpower stock panel ends in 2016, after only normal mono panels

Fly Solartech Solutions ( Store Qookka )
pros: Generally good quality , Sunpower panels really good similar to Lensun one (differences only on eyelets (6 not 4 as lensun) and thin Junction box, better price than Sorbian similar to Lensun, maybe something more you can buy directly from their website, you can ask for a tailored panel (customised one) really good warranty (they replace the panel without problems)

cons: Little little company, they are not fast as the big companies , they don’t have the stock ready every day of every size and sometimes you must wait 10 days.

Shine Solar - Sumyok solar and all alibaba express producers

pros: price

cons : all the rest
Old 13-10-2016, 13:25   #83

Hi Vengeful,
I must make a clarification a fibreglass-backed panel could prevent certain known issues. But one must remember that a good PET panel - for example those you have appointed - (I know well Solbian) are better than a bad EFTE Fiberglass panel .

I know some manufacturers in Europe that produce or good EFTE panels while maintaining excellent quality standards, in other areas - in the United States - do not know.

I can suggest you some producer with pros and cons based on my work experience (mainly for a tech and economical point of view) but is just my opinion, not the bible

PET SOLAR PANELS

SOLBIAN;
Pros: Generally good quality products , the top one is the Sunpower version, Good warranty

cons: High price, you cannot buy directly from their website

GIOCOSOLUTIONS:
Pros: Generally quite good quality products, you can buy directly from their website (GIOCOSOLUTIONS | Flexible Photovoltaic Panels | Solar Photovoltaic Regulators | LifePo4 Batteries | Made in Italy cells)

cons: High price (less than Solbian), Not good warranty and after sales service

EFTE-FIBERGLASS solar panels

LENSUN :
Pros: Generally good quality products , the top one is the Sunpower version but they will not do more panels sunpower cells but only with normal cells , Competitive price, you can buy directly from their website (lensunsolar.com)

cons: Really not good warranty and after sales service, we have had troubles for broken panels replacement

FLY SOLARTECH SOLUTION:
Pros: Generally good quality products , really similar to Lensun product, ( 6 eyelets compared to 4 of the Lensun one and different junction box for the rest is almost the same) . Really good Warranty, they replace the panels without any problem. Competitive price (maybe little bit more expensive than Lensun), and you can ask for a tailored panel ( customised ) you can buy directly from their website (Qookka)

Cons: Little company sometimes they are not fast as big companies. They sell not only own brands , if you wanna have a customised panel you must wait more than 15 working days

Shine solar, Sumyok solar and all alibaba express

pros: Cheap

Cons ; the rest
Old 14-10-2016, 00:24   #84

Sorry guys I made a mess trying to posting my reply.. Sorry for that
Old 16-12-2016, 08:41   #85

Boat: Jeanneau SO49

Hi Guys - this is a great thread and I've learned a lot about the issues related to mounting solar panels on a bimini - which is something I'd like to do.

I have a few questions that maybe someone can answer.

1) The Solbian panels are advertised as being flexible in both directions. Is that the same kind of flexibility as the other brands that use Sunpower cells and claim to be flexible?

2) I've got a beige colored bimini that reflects heat from the sun pretty well. Will the additional of sun panels covering the bimini make it hotter in the cockpit? The panels seem to be very dark colored and I know with friends that have navy blue biminis the dark colors get pretty warm.

3) Any problem installing the panels athwart-ships - i.e. long dimension going across the bimini from port to starboard versus fore-to-aft ? With the curved ends of the panels angled differently to the sun does that really destroy the power output.

4) I have a big bimini - three panels of at least 120 inches by 28 inches. I'm thinking about installing six solar panels - maybe 100 watts each - two on each panel. How should they be wired? I'm thinking that if I use a separate MPPT controller for each pair I could put each pair in series and let the controller bring the voltage down to 12 volts with no loss of wattage. Does that make sense?

Thanks, Jeff K
Jeanneau SO49
SO49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 09:49   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO49 View Post
Hi Guys - this is a great thread and I've learned a lot about the issues related to mounting solar panels on a bimini - which is something I'd like to do.

I have a few questions that maybe someone can answer.

1) The Solbian panels are advertised as being flexible in both directions. Is that the same kind of flexibility as the other brands that use Sunpower cells and claim to be flexible?
How flexible they are depends a lot on the backing material. The longer dimensions are easier to bend. In any case you don't want them flexing much while in use.

2) I've got a beige colored bimini that reflects heat from the sun pretty well. Will the additional of sun panels covering the bimini make it hotter in the cockpit? The panels seem to be very dark colored and I know with friends that have navy blue biminis the dark colors get pretty warm.
I doubt you will notice any difference.

3) Any problem installing the panels athwart-ships - i.e. long dimension going across the bimini from port to starboard versus fore-to-aft ? With the curved ends of the panels angled differently to the sun does that really destroy the power output.
Either orientation is fine -- the sun isn't always on the bow
4) I have a big bimini - three panels of at least 120 inches by 28 inches. I'm thinking about installing six solar panels - maybe 100 watts each - two on each panel. How should they be wired? I'm thinking that if I use a separate MPPT controller for each pair I could put each pair in series and let the controller bring the voltage down to 12 volts with no loss of wattage. Does that make sense?
The key in this case is to pair the panels with panels that will receive the same shadowing, so that the MPPT controller is working on panels with the same light.

Thanks, Jeff K
Jeanneau SO49
Old 22-12-2016, 08:39   #87

Boat: Jeanneau SO49

Hi Paul:

Thanks for the response. So if I have three panels on each side of the bimini then we should link each three together. Should they be connected in series or parallel?

If we use an MPPT controller does it matter?

Any comments on the pluses and minuses or connecting the panels in series or parallel?

Thanks, Jeff
SO49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 08:53   #88

Boat: Mull 42-cold molded NZ 1970
Send a message via Skype™ to OceanPlanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO49 View Post
Hi Paul:

Thanks for the response. So if I have three panels on each side of the bimini then we should link each three together. Should they be connected in series or parallel?

If we use an MPPT controller does it matter?

Any comments on the pluses and minuses or connecting the panels in series or parallel?

Thanks, Jeff
If you connect the panels in series, it becomes essentially one larger panel. The voltage increases (add up the voltage of all the panels in series), and the output current is the same as one panel, but at the higher voltage. Advantage: only one pair of wires from the combined panels to run into the boat. Disadvantage: If you shade one panel, you get zero power from the combined array.

If you connect the panels in parallel, the current increases (add up the output current of all the panels) and the voltage stays the same. You must use the same voltage panels when connecting in parallel, and should use (some debate this) blocking diodes on the positive wires from each to prevent them from backfeeding each other. Advantage: less losses from shading (especially if using individual controllers and no blocking diodes). Disadvantage: More wires (two from each panel) to run into the boat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OceanPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 12:17   #89

To add to what Bruce said - in series the higher voltage means you can use smaller wire and still get less loss. In parallel you need larger wire to avoid losses with the higher current. Wire size is based on amps. There are also combinations where you run say two panels in series paralleled to another set.

In your case if the 3 panels on one side of the bimini will always be in the same shadow, then you could put them in series and run them into their own MPPT controller and likewise for the other side. As long as your controllers can handle the voltage and amperage specs, then the decision does not need to be final. You can hook them up and if shading turns out different than you expected, re-run the cabling.
Old 22-12-2016, 14:57   #90

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

You only have two wires going into the boat with parallel. Positive to positive to positive to boat.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, solar