Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 06:04   #16

Re: Solarizing a boat

svkatielee makes a very good point about limited real estate on our boats which makes flexible solar panels such a good choice over hard panels because now one can sew or velcro them to a dodger or bimini in addition to putting on hard tops. Bear in mind that "flexible" doesn't exclusively mean the panel is made with amorphous solar cells; they can also be made from monocrystalline or polycrystalline solar cells (the exact same cells in glass panels) which will always have a higher efficiency rating (11-22.5%) than amorphous solar cells (4-7%). Who wants to use up valuable real estate on our boat with solar panels that may be 100 watts, but by their very nature deliver less amps to the battery bank.
Anna Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 20:47   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
Thanks to everyone for the feed back. One of the things that I worry about is the panels overheating. Has anyone had this issue and what did you do to fix the problem if anything.

ZBoss, how long have you had your panels and have you had any problems.

Emmalina, what kind of panels do you use and for how long.

Briaf, I understand the difference in the panels. The flexible ones are less expensive and do not turn out as much energy but is the payoff for each worth looking at.

Thanks again
Think Solbian might have some input here!
My panels are "semi" flexible . I bought 3kw of an exhibition here in Thailand 5 years ago from some obscure chinese supplier. They came mounted on anodised aluminium backing and do contain mono crystals as I have popped one open and broken it
They are about 3mm thick. They have been on the boat and on our seaside house here in the tropics since then. I have 1140W on the boat so we have a good excess .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2180.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	96634  
Old 05-02-2015, 01:50   #18

Do solar panels on top of the hard bimini cause it to get hot underneath?

We are getting ready to put some on top and a little concerned it will attract and reflect greater heat making it hotter underneath and less pleasant to lounge up top. Is this anything to worry about?
drewvta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:33   #19

Boat: 44 footer

Steve,

That's one pretty boat.

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:39   #20

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
Thanks to everyone for the feed back. One of the things that I worry about is the panels overheating. Has anyone had this issue and what did you do to fix the problem if anything.

ZBoss, how long have you had your panels and have you had any problems.

Emmalina, what kind of panels do you use and for how long.

Briaf, I understand the difference in the panels. The flexible ones are less expensive and do not turn out as much energy but is the payoff for each worth looking at.

Thanks again
We got 4 solbian panels early spring 2014. We did have a problem with one of the panels but the distributor took care of that issue immediately - I am very pleased with their customer service. I do not like the MC4 connector box on these particular panels, I feel they could be more robustly attached to the panel itself. I'm sure other manufacturers like Ganz have better connectors. Frankly, I would prefer to forgo the MC4 connectors altogether and just have a direct attach so we can run thicker cabling directly to the panel.

The solbians are very expensive. I'm not sure they are worth the premium; at the time I had convinced myself they were because my mounting space is so limited. I've had great experiences with Alibaba and shipment from China (stuff I have ordered from them get here faster than UPS ships from the West Coast!).
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:06   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Panels are lifted 1cm of the base by ali stringers every 20cm so they stay pretty cool .
Old 05-02-2015, 11:55   #22

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I was concerned that putting an air gap under them would make them more susceptible to damage if we walked on them, so ours are screwed straight into the top.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:07   #23

Seriously thinking of putting 4 x 200watt panels across the back of my cat on a targa. These mono crystalline panels are 1500mm x 880 mm .shame you sit on them , they make up the size of a saloon almost. Good shade I guess. The targa will cost twice the the solar and mppt , but hoping all my power problems will be over. I'm worried about the look of the boat , it is so nicely shaped and streamlined and this big ugly thing will take away all that .
The genni noise should Finnish , and we can get back to the serenity.
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar