Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2017, 09:47   #1

Solar troubles - zero amps in

My solar controller has started to show zero amps in. It used to show up to 9 amps in on full sun. I'm getting 19v off the panels to the controller. I have a brand new blue sky 3000i that replaced a blue sky 2000. I thought there was something wrong with the 2000 so replaced it.

I've tried it hooked up normally to the house bank and also to a stand alone battery that had 12.5v on it.

Any suggestions ?
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 10:09   #2

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc
Re: Solar troubles - zero amps in

Disconnect the solar array and short out, measure the short circuit current with a DC clamp meterand compare to rated Isc on the label or from the datasheet. If you get no current, separate the panels and test each on by shorting each one and comparing.
If the Isc is good, your controller is the problem, presuming your batteries are not fully charged.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 10:38   #3

Boat: F&C 44

Check the wiring from the controller to the battery, both the pos and neg wire and connections. There should be a fuse or breaker between the battery and controller. More than once I have found 'the secret hidden fuse', an inline fuse holder taped up in a wiring harness. I have also seen the slide switch on a Blue Sky 2000 become intermittent and show 0 amps when in fact it was charging. With a decent DVM and some common sense you should be able to find the problem.

Good Luck
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 11:58   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Divide and conquer". Break things in "two" and test each half, keep breaking it down and you'll find the fault quickly. Or be methodical, tear it all apart and start with testing each bit--but that's just slower, not necessarily any better, although verifying each piece is a good idea.

If you don't have a meter, buy one. Or grab an automobile high-beam headlight (used to be you could get one for free in the trash, a dual-beam is thrown out when the low beam blows usually, leaving the high beam working) since that will test voltage and amperage at the same time.

Hook the array up to the lamp or meter, confirm what is coming out for voltage and amperage UNDER LOAD. (The headlight provides that and does that, the meter alone wouldn't.) If you've got a corroded junction or thinned wires, they may put out full voltage but under load that may drop to a single digit, and that's all it takes to kill things.

If the array tests out good then there is a problem between it and the controller, or in the controller. (Less likely since this is the 2nd one.) If the array does not test out good, then you break out each single panel and test them to find out which is the problem. Same way, load test each panel and check all junction points. If you find any plain copper wiring (un-tinned) that has started to go green or black from corrosion? Condemn and replace with tinned wiring.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 12:11   #5

Thank you. So far one of the MC4 connectors was somewhat corroded and another basically broke trying to unconnect it.

I added a new blue seas breaker between the controller and the batteries. There was a crappy car audio style fuse holder. All the wiring (except for the recently discovered MC4 stuff. Both panels were putting out 19v full sun when tested separately. I ordered some new MC4 connectors.

I guess the biggest head scratcher is if I'm getting good PV voltage to the controller why is it showing zero amps. It's not down stream to the batteries because I hooked up a different stand alone battery and same issue.
Old 19-08-2017, 12:14   #6

This mc4 is very suspect. Trying to attach a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6596.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	154402  
Old 20-08-2017, 16:39   #7
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
Thank you. So far one of the MC4 connectors was somewhat corroded and another basically broke trying to unconnect it.

I added a new blue seas breaker between the controller and the batteries. There was a crappy car audio style fuse holder. All the wiring (except for the recently discovered MC4 stuff. Both panels were putting out 19v full sun when tested separately. I ordered some new MC4 connectors.

I guess the biggest head scratcher is if I'm getting good PV voltage to the controller why is it showing zero amps. It's not down stream to the batteries because I hooked up a different stand alone battery and same issue.
For a panel 200 W or less, you can connect a DVM capable of displaying 10A (just about and $10 meter can) directly across the panel leads. In bright sun, perpendicular to the sun, it will give you Isc. Should be close to 1 A per 20W of panel. Disconnect meter, change to volts, reconnect, will give you Voc.

For panels larger than 200W you a better meter capable of displaying
More than 20 A.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar