Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2017, 12:19   #16

Re: Solar Time! Take a look and let me know if I got this right?

1) That kit is crazy expensive.

2) I'm thinking mounting my panel on a bracket that will go into each of two rod holders on the port side of my boat. I'll fabricate the bracket so it is easy to remove and high enough so the livewell (storage) lid is still usable!

I sat out on the boat for 30 minutes... and it is either that or the bow rail (dead center)... The wiring gets a lot easier and I *may* be able to run with it in my new area... I'll need to be make it so that I can adjust the angle.

Thanks for all the brainstorming!

I now have my SB50 kit coming... my MPPT, panel, dongle for bluetooth for the MPPT... etc.

EDIT: CRAP!!! The rod holder idea will not work when the shade cover is up. Meh.
Old 21-04-2017, 15:16   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Pete³, why do you want to keep removing/replacing your panel?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 16:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Pete³, why do you want to keep removing/replacing your panel?
I don't actually "want" to do so... but I don't see a single place where it can go and run in all conditions with it in place.

If you do... I'm all ears!
Old 22-04-2017, 06:09   #19

Ok... so after yet MORE sitting and looking...

I think I may have an idea.

First. Mount the panel to this:

Which will require that I fabricate a piece of aluminum to adapt the 100w panel to the mount. The panel weighs 20lbs... and it is spread out of an area of 26x42 which is a bit of a concern... but still seems doable.

From there I will utilize these heavy duty rod holder clamps:

These rod holders will be mounted on the upper station. I will likely start with two rod holders in strategic locations. The solar panel will plug into this port:

The port will be mounted next to that light you see hanging from the bottom of the upper station control area (You'll see an all-around light there too). I may not go exactly there... but in that central location so that no matter which side of the upper station, the distance for the wire will be the same AND out of the way so that it isn't a trip hazard.

I'd love to hear any thoughts on this.

I've come to the conclusion that finding a place for the panel when running at high speeds simply is not an option. But I think this will be easy to remove and replace... and should allow for the avoidance of most shadows with not-to-much of a hassle...

Thanks,
Pete
Old 22-04-2017, 06:20   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Pete, how fast does that boat go, I am guessing at mid 20's. If so that mount isn't going to hold it. Also you probably can't position the panel to avoid shadow under ever possible situation, in which case what is the best you can do?

Looks like the boat lives on its pontoon facing south, if so then position the panel to charge the batteries when you are not using it.

Attached pic as a start point. Red for the panel, nearly horizontal and purple for the extra support.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T top.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	146035  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 08:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Pete, how fast does that boat go, I am guessing at mid 20's. If so that mount isn't going to hold it. Also you probably can't position the panel to avoid shadow under ever possible situation, in which case what is the best you can do?

Looks like the boat lives on its pontoon facing south, if so then position the panel to charge the batteries when you are not using it.

Attached pic as a start point. Red for the panel, nearly horizontal and purple for the extra support.

Pete
Hi,

Boat WOT is 42MPH... cruise is around 30MPH.

This application is NOT for using while the boat is underway. I mean, I can "wish" that it could be -- but I do not see any possible places at those speeds.

This application is not for when the boat is at the home dock. We have shore power for that.

This application is for when we are cruising and on the hook and do not want to use the genny as often. We have an Engel 40 and an Isotherm that draws power. We do not believe that one 100W panel will be enough, but we do believe it will help between genny runs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 22-04-2017, 15:07   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Pete, suggest you forget fixing the panel and have a look at suitcase panels. They open up like a suitcase. We have a 60w one which wanders around the deck depending on the direction of the sun so very efficient. They are also easier to store away when not needed.

A couple of these bad boys would make a diference:

SOLAR PANNEL 120W USED 2 TIMES IN EXCELLENT CONDITION SUIT CASE TYPE. | eBay

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar