Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2019, 16:33   #1

Solar System Installer Southern California?

Hi Everyone,

I’m contemplating hiring out a complete solar system install on my ‘01 Catalina 34 mkII this summer. She’s slipped in Port of Los Angeles. Can anyone direct me to a one-stop installer anywhere between San Diego and say, Ventura/Channel Islands? Will involve batteries, panels, and everything in between.

I’m assuming a company, but would consider a highly-recommended individual who is willing to consult, then source/install everything.

Personal recommendations from happy customers valued more highly than second-hand referrals, but am grateful for any direction given.

Fair Winds,
Jeff
Old 12-05-2019, 13:01   #2

Re: Solar System Installer Southern California?

I really thought I’d get at least a few bites on this. Still wanting feedback, so chime in, anyone!
Old 12-05-2019, 13:33   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Jeff, respectfully: I’m going to guess that most of the solar installers in your area are dealing with high demand and larger scale systems and not likely to engage such a modest task (I’ve been in the industry for 38 years). My thought is that you’ll be likely dealing with a marine supplier or internet outlet for the components and then installing yourself, which is actually a better idea because then you’ll have a better idea of how the system works. The problem is that often the website solar sales people don’t have that much install experience. Start with making a load sheet of the items you will want to run on a daily/weekly basis and then build the system around that. Hope this helps.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 14:32   #4

Thanks for the kind reply, and the encouragement to DIM. Maybe using the phrase "solar system installer" evoked images of larger-scale jobs I didn't intend.

I have run into one or two companies that purport to do this type of thing, notably Sun Power RV (scroll down) in San Diego. They include a couple of yachts as examples of their work, and the Yelp reviews are generally positive, but naturally I'd like to hear from former customers before I commit. Maybe the owners of the vessels on that page would be willing to be contacted.

Fair Winds,
Jeff
Old 16-05-2019, 16:14   #5

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

Hey Star. I am in Alamitos Bay. Send me a PM with your contact number and I will call you with how I went about it. Today my electrician is completing the installation of 840 watts on my boat. Awesome system and very pleased and happy to show it to you
Randy
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 16:44   #6

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

What's the reason for not doing it yourself? Is it due to complexity? Is it due to lack of time?
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, solar