Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014, 01:24   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Solar Sails or Bimini?

Does anyone know if these are practical yet? How much do they gnerate? Maybe the bimini is the best place (then there is no need for an Arch).

Apparently they have been tested on the lastest Route de Rhum and survived, but no data has been released yet on their performance

The official site of UK Sailmakers Lofts Worldwide

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:36   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Solar Sails or Bimini?

I wonder what warranty UK will provide?
Old 10-12-2014, 06:28   #3

Boat: Catalina 34

I'd still prefer panels on the bimini.

How well will those solar sails work at anchor?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:08   #4
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

Not very practical for charging batteries while at anchor.
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post
Not very practical for charging batteries while at anchor.
Well if they are part of the sail, that is pretty obvious. Many offshore race boats use expensive hydro generators. Offshore on a cruising boat is generally the time you use the most electric if you run a chartplotter, an autopilot and a reefer.
Alternately the fabric could be used to make the bimini.

The sail shown in the UK ad would not produce any solar if you put in the first reef. Not practical for a cruiser, but maybe OK for a racer.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:33   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Interesting idea that makes a bunch of sense, and is at the cutting edge, but not entirely practical. Still, I'm glad someone is mucking around with the idea, advancing the technology, and pushing it, if somewhat futilely at this stage, into the commercial space.

I think if this progresses to being an easy and relatively cost-effective option when you're having sails made, then it may have some value. Most people I know use solar primarily as a "trickle charger" and rely on their wind generator for the bulk of their renewable charging.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
.....Most people I know use solar primarily as a "trickle charger" and rely on their wind generator for the bulk of their renewable charging.
I think you are biased by the tradewinds of the Caribbean. Wind gens don't work so well in places where you don't anchor in the teeth of the Carib tradewinds. Solar starts shine in many of those other places.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:40   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From the linked site.
"The soft photovoltaic cells can be built into sun shades, biminis and dodgers, but on a boat, the base of the mainsail offers the most unobstructed area."

Imagine a large Bimini and sun shade with this feature, providing shade AND power.

Pretty cool for the anchor outs!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:58   #9

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

yeah, the bimini part of it is pretty attractive. If you can get enough juice out of it, you can skip building an arch.

Anybody know anybody with practical experience?

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 10-12-2014, 08:17   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I'd be concerned with the mechanical issues of the wire connections. A wire on a flogging sail would be damned hard to keep viable. One short race is hardly a representation of life on a cruising boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:08   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I'd be concerned with the mechanical issues of the wire connections. A wire on a flogging sail would be damned hard to keep viable. One short race is hardly a representation of life on a cruising boat.
I agree.

The linked site describes how the connections are made on the sail fabric (wiring) and mentions that the Main Sail is THE sail to use, as the jibs (or foresails) will flog too much etc.

It does mention that this type of solar fabric CAN be rolled up without damage.

And it does mention that the type of solar fabric "cells" can generate electricity from ANY kind of light and at angles different from typical flat panel solar panels.

Because of this, I think it would be interesting as larger surfaces could be used IF one used a large bimini or large sun shade that covers the cabin and cockpit of a boat.

Or…if one has a ketch, I can imagine a mizzen with a sun shade or "anchor sail" (while at anchor) being used for solar collection while at anchor…or perhaps a mizzen sail that is solar fabric used while sailing and then while at anchor. hmmm...

Amazing that solar tech is now so common on sailboats. What will the future give us?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:42   #12

About 10-12 years ago I had a talk with a guy who was an engineer in a European fiber optic factory. He said at the time that a solar cell cloth made from f/o strands (if I remember correctly) was very feasible and even already experimentally done at the time but there were many issues with it to bring it to market. Most obvious of course was the cost and the other was durability in everyday use as it would get used and abused if worn or washed, etc. But he said at the time that technically there was nothing to prevent a sail or a bimini shade to be made from solar cell cloth. Just too damn expensive and a maintenance headache in most applications.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 23:08   #13

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've written to them asking for technical details (charge per sq. meter etc). I'll post what I get back.

Of course - next question is cost

Tags
bimini, sail, sails, solar