Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2014, 09:58   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David
Solar Purchase

I am looking to purchase a pair of 140 to 150 watt solar panels, does anybody have thoughts on a good supplier of solar products in or around Fort Pierce Florida.

Also looking for a Blue Sky 2000e or 25-12 controller if anybody has one forsale

Fletch

Camp David
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 10:01   #2

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch
Re: Solar Purchase

I am also looking for a supplier of flexible panels in the Northwest that dosn't want $10 per watt for them.
Old 15-04-2014, 10:50   #3
cruiser

What about a large, annual solar purchase for forum members???

I need 4x 300 watt panels and MPPT controller.

If we tallied up everyone's order and bought a pallet wholesale, we could get some deals.

Forget location (and sales tax) and have them arrive UPS.
oceannavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 10:53   #4

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceannavigator View Post
What about a large, annual solar purchase for forum members???

I need 4x 300 watt panels and MPPT controller.

If we tallied up everyone's order and bought a pallet wholesale, we could get some deals.

Forget location (and sales tax) and have them arrive UPS.
I would get behind this idea quickly. Other forums make use of the leverage a group purchase offers. Extend this beyond just solar and we could take this idea to the next level. Great idea!
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 11:09   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

Fletch,
In S. Florida, you have 3 businesses that have excellent reputations (and I have done business with all 3 of them...and can recommend any of them...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDavid View Post
I am looking to purchase a pair of 140 to 150 watt solar panels, does anybody have thoughts on a good supplier of solar products in or around Fort Pierce Florida.
1) John and Libby at Hotwire Enterprises, in Tarpon Springs, FL are VERY nice folks and are cruiser-oriented (former cruisers themselves).....
Kyocera – svHotwire - 727-943-0424 | svHotWire

I've done business with them....and I highly recommend them!!!

2) Bob Williams at SALT Services, Inc. in Marathon, FL has forgotten more about solar systems and alternative energy than just about everyone else in our community will ever know....(Bob is they guy that invented the "A/H per day" specification, when working with Steve Dashew about 20 years ago!!)
SALT Service Inc - Marine Solar PV Power Panels Energy

I've done business with them, and I highly recommend them as well...(but they tend to concentrate on the higher end of the market / larger purchaseers...)

3) E Marine Inc. in Ft. Lauderdale, although under new ownership/management, still has a good reputation and sell a lot of solar panels, controllers, etc....
Kyocera 140 Watt 12 Volt Solar Panel Fixed Frame KD140SX-UPU - e Marine Systems

I've done business with them as well, but it's been about 7 - 8 years....so YMMV....

4) Do NOT skimp and buy the 2000e controller....that's an entry-level unit, and would be a mistake!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDavid View Post
Also looking for a Blue Sky 2000e or 25-12 controller if anybody has one forsale.
Spend the extra few dollars for the 2512ix!!!
It is a much better controller.....and I recommend getting the IPN-Pro Remote (even if you don't need/desire the "battery monitor functions"), as this allows you to custom program the controller....(this is VERY important, in order to tailor your charge patterns to your batteries and use patterns..)

5) FYI, if you wish to see my 520-watt array.....installed in 2006....here is an article (w/ photos) that I wrote about the whole system....
http://www.c470.jerodisys.com/470pix/47004.htm

And, some of my other projects on-board....
http://www.c470.jerodisys.com/470pix/foto_bot.htm

Also, here are some videos of some of my Atlantic crossings (and the weather that my array dealt with, without issue)....

Eastbound...

Westbound....

I hope this helps....

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 11:18   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog Bank View Post
I would get behind this idea quickly. Other forums make use of the leverage a group purchase offers. Extend this beyond just solar and we could take this idea to the next level. Great idea!

Nice! Let's try it with the solar to start. We can shop a huge order around a bit to get deals.

I'll start a new thread on it.
oceannavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 11:23   #7

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Quote:
Nice! Let's try it with the solar to start. We can shop a huge order around a bit to get deals.

I'm in!
Old 15-04-2014, 11:31   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

Not to drift the thread anymore....but...

Other organizations do provide discounts, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog Bank View Post
I would get behind this idea quickly. Other forums make use of the leverage a group purchase offers. Extend this beyond just solar and we could take this idea to the next level.
But, margins on so many things these days are slight, and with solar panels the profit margins for most retailers/distributors are very small (and with prices changing monthly), it would be a difficult thing to accomplish...and I doubt CF owners would find it "profitable" at all, to attempt....

FYI, if you're interested, many vendors already offer SSCA members discounts....
The Seven Seas Cruising Association - IX - Special Offers

And, others offer discounts for Boat US members as well....
http://www.boatus.com/membership/savings.asp

Fair winds..

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 12:44   #9

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:

Sounds good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Not to drift the thread anymore....but...

Other organizations do provide discounts, etc...
But, margins on so many things these days are slight, and with solar panels the profit margins for most retailers/distributors are very small (and with prices changing monthly), it would be a difficult thing to accomplish...and I doubt CF owners would find it "profitable" at all, to attempt....

FYI, if you're interested, many vendors already offer SSCA members discounts....
The Seven Seas Cruising Association - IX - Special Offers

And, others offer discounts for Boat US members as well....
BoatUS - Membership - Savings Benefits

Fair winds..

John
s/v Annie Laurie

When approaching vendors the worst they can do is say no. If a possibility exists to use our numbers to provide some type of a discount to members of this forum, shouldn't we? An exploratory effort to locate vendors willing to participate costs us nothing except time. If that investment in time saves our community a few dollars that they can repurpose for other upgrades or a larger rum purchase then it is a win.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, solar