Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2013, 08:33   #1

solar panels st. pete FL

Hey,
Well subject to survey it looks like i have myself a yacht. Have potentially purchased a Downeaster 38 in St.Pete FL and one of the things that i will be upgrading is the solar on board.

At the moment there are two 35 amp panels on there and would like to change these out for the largest practical size (size and cost requirements).

Does anyone know any good dealers in this, or the Florida area that i could talk to about the set up and get an idea of pricing and what i need etc.
Thanks
Josh
josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 08:37   #2

Re: solar panels st. pete FL

SALT in Marathon FL (Sea Air Land Technologies)

SALT Service Inc - Marine, residential and motor coach alternative energy systems
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 09:24   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Josh, take a tape measure and see how much space you can find where there is no problem with shadows falling on the panels. Then you go to the internet, check out panels, sizes, prices. And if you want a marine warranty--that will cut down the choices.

Another option is the Solarstik (solarstik.com) which is pricey, but it gets the panels outboard of everything else, and is a turnkey top-quality package. On a 38 you'd have room to fit one on the transom.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 11:57   #4

Boat: csy 37

josh, this is your lucky day. svhotwire - Solar Power for Homes, Boats and RVs - is less than an hour driving from you. they're in tarpon springs, just north of you, off highway 19 if i recall.

i bought a kyocera 135 from them about four years ago, and a friend bought the same panel about two years ago. paid less too, if i recall. good prices and they're retired cruisers who know all about your problems. they also have a small machine shop in the back and can make up brackets for you. i had them make some for me and it made it really easy for me to install the panel.

and while you're in tarpon springs, stop at some of the greek restaraunts there. it's an old greek sponging community...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:01   #5

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
josh, this is your lucky day. svhotwire - Solar Power for Homes, Boats and RVs - is less than an hour driving from you. they're in tarpon springs, just north of you, off highway 19 if i recall.

i bought a kyocera 135 from them about four years ago, and a friend bought the same panel about two years ago. paid less too, if i recall. good prices and they're retired cruisers who know all about your problems. they also have a small machine shop in the back and can make up brackets for you. i had them make some for me and it made it really easy for me to install the panel.

and while you're in tarpon springs, stop at some of the greek restaraunts there. it's an old greek sponging community...
Second that. John and Libby are a great resource. We bought our Kiss wind turbine from them.

Bob at SALT is also great, but may be a little far from St. Pete.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:19   #6

Boat: Bristol 34

I recently met John and Libby of SVhotwire and they are a nice and very knowledgeable couple who could steer you in the right direction with no BS or sales pressure. They are in Tarpon Springs, not too far from St. Pete.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, solar