Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-10-2006, 19:53   #16

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
In many instances

Particular instuations do not necessarily reveal design RFI problems. What a particular module works for one does not necessarily work for another depending upon the level of RFI generation and sucessibility. The necessity for RFI minimization, so far as a standard goes, generally may help guarantee a level of non-RFI problems. Just because one installation has no problems does not guarantee that another will or will not have them.

I have pointed out that some topologies for implementation of various kinds of regulation lend themselves towards great amounts of RFI does not mean that in particular cases some installations do or do not have problems in that area. The propensity, however, is that the susceptibliity for RFI is huge, if not great, with those topogies. When a manufacturer must adhere to RFI standards many topologies of design are eliminated almost automatically due to the difficulty to make them modified in order to make the standard. It usually is not worth it. Stay tuned over the next ten yeas or so and see that it is not true over the long run. Meanwhile, if one discerns the difference between products which meet Euro standards of RFI versus those that do not one may be able to make a better purchase decision in that regard with products which meet "CE" RFI standards. Too bad for the rest of us.

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 06:56   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop
I very much appreciate Rick's comments re: design differences in equipment used aboard ship, and the problems attendent to supressing radio frequency interference (RFI). It is certainly true that all equipment isn't equal and that European CE standards help to ensure somewhat "better" designs.

That said, however, I'd like to point out that there ARE significant differences among equipment types generally available on the U.S. market. Over many years, I've had occasion to work with a variety of marine chargers and related equipment aboard my own vessel and in my shop at home. Since I'm an avid ham with far more radio and test equipment than is reasonable, including a purpose-made RF sniffer, some of the following may be of interest to illustrate how equipment can differ, even in the same environment.

1. Old Heart Interface Inverter/Charger, 1200 watt modified sine wave inverter, 40-50A smart charger. I've had this unit for 17 years, 16 of those aboard my boat. It is presently in my shop being used for a pulsator test with golf-cart batteries. This unit puts out a considerable amount of RF in both the charger and inverter modes....enough to interfere with HF communications. But not VHF/FM.

2. ProMariner 10A smart charger. Six years old. Installed aboard my boat in forward cabin to keep dedicated golf-cart battery bank for windlass charged. This unit creates considerable RF which interferes with HF reception when it is under load. When the load is small, e.g., in the float mode, RFI is negligible. No problem with VHF/FM ever. It also has an annoying loud fan which runs periodically even with a moderate ambient temperature and when in float mode.

3. ProMariner 50A smart charger. Age unknown (borrowed for ongoing test in my shop). This is the previously mentioned unit which created enough RFI via the 115VAC line as to cause a crash of my LAN and cause my computer monitor to jiggle wildly (when under load.) These problems are not present when the charger is under a minimal load. However, it has a noisy fan which runs periodically even with a moderate ambient temperature (65F) and no load (float).

4. Iota 45A smart charger with IQ4. I've had this charger for almost three years. It maintains a golf-cart battery bank which powers my radios at home, in a setup very much like shipboard. This is a high-quality charger which creates very little RFI. My radios are very happy when this unit is running. In previous technical discussions with a knowledgeable supplier, I've learned that the underlying technology is pulse charging....a highly desirable way of charging batteries. I'm attempting to confirm this with engineers from the Iota factory. IMHO, this is the finest battery charger available at modest price; it comes in several versions, up to the 90-amp model which Sully uses very successfully.

5. Victron 2500W pure sine wave inverter with 120A charger. This new unit was installed on my boat about 4 months ago. It is manufactured in Holland to an exceptionally high standard. When I took the cover off, I couldn't believe the quality of construction....I've never seen anything like it, even with much of the military standard equipment I own. I LOVE this charger/inverter. No RFI. No noisy fan running unless it's under a significant load. Fully programmable. Unfortunately, Victron had a dingbat rep here in the U.S., recently dropped, so the equipment isn't very well known here. It is popular in Europe and elsewhere.

6. Xantrex Echo Charger, 15A. This little inexpensive device keeps the starting battery charged automatically, whenever it senses a charging voltage on the house batteries (all charging sources aboard my boat...alternator/diesel generator/Victron battery charger....are connected to charge the house battery bank). Trouble free for past two years since installation. Little or no RFI detected.

Think that's enough for now.

Bottom line: choose your equipment very carefully. It IS possible to find the stuff you need which will create low RFI on your boat.

btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 06:02   #18

Boat: S2 11.0A
I solved my problem. I replaced the Blue sky solar boost charge controller with a Prostar 15m. No more RF problems but it seems to put about 1amp less in the battery bank. Thanks for all your input.

Panama Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: