Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2011, 12:50   #1

Solar Panels for Marine Use

Are there any solar panels designed for marine use? There are some that pass salt mist test, but still exclude marine installation. I am having hard time finding ones that are OK with marine installation. As soon as I look at warranty small print, exclusions often include marine, mobile or even hot/humid weather istallation.
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 12:52   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Solar panels for marine use

Sunsei.
Old 23-05-2011, 17:52   #3

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Re: Solar Panels for Marine Use

I am going to try these

Aurinco solar panels
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 21:49   #4

Boat: Currently boatless

It was my understanding that both Sharp and Kyocera (two of the popular brands) are not certified for marine use but that everyone uses them for that and they last just fine. We've only had ours installed for a year (and they are awesome) so I can't give you our own long term report.

West Marine sells one or the other (can't remember which brand)...presumably they warantee them for marine use?
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 22:15   #5

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Those Aurinco prices are ridiculous. I'll find something here- Solar Panels, Kits, Inverters | Lowest Prices 98˘/W
for 1/6th - 1/10th the price and replace them once or twice and still come out ahead.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 22:19   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I bought my Kyocera 130 watt panels, used, three years ago. Don't know how long they'd been installed on the boat that they originally came from. They are still working fine including a TransPac.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 04:43   #7

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Those Aurinco prices are ridiculous. I'll find something here- Solar Panels, Kits, Inverters | Lowest Prices 98˘/W
for 1/6th - 1/10th the price and replace them once or twice and still come out ahead.
I know the price is high, but these panels will not catch on any lines or toes. They are tough enough to be walked on and even have a non skid surface. Most of all the Admiral, CEO(Chief EVERYTHING Officer) is more pleased with the asthetics.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 05:13   #8

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

BambooSailor

Solar panels last for 25 years. No companies do marine environment life testing, because it’s to expensive and the market is very small, so they do not warranty for this use. All the high output ones are anodized aluminum with tempered glass made to withstand hale and wind.
Most marine solar installs are standard home solar panels that would go on your house roof, minus the warranty.

You can buy a sharp 123 watt panel from West Marine for $800
You can buy a Sanyo HIT-N235SE10 with 235 watts or a SunPower 238 watt for $950

You get a lot more watts for the money with the Sanyo or SunPower.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 16:57   #9

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Hi. I know this is an old post, but given the advances in technology I thought I'd ask for an update. I have one 80 watt solar panel. I had two, but when I purchased the boat one of them was inundated with salt and rusting from the inside out so I removed it. I'd like to add another one so I have two 80 watt.

Any recommendations?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 17:34   #10

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
Hi. I know this is an old post, but given the advances in technology I thought I'd ask for an update. I have one 80 watt solar panel. I had two, but when I purchased the boat one of them was inundated with salt and rusting from the inside out so I removed it. I'd like to add another one so I have two 80 watt.

Any recommendations?
May want to add some details. Like what kind of controller you have, how big is the battery bank and an estimate of how many amps your boat uses in a 24 hour period. There is a little more than that but it is a start.

My guess is you would be better off with a new 200+ watt panel and a new controller, and maybe some new batteries.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 00:17   #11

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
May want to add some details. Like what kind of controller you have, how big is the battery bank and an estimate of how many amps your boat uses in a 24 hour period. There is a little more than that but it is a start.

My guess is you would be better off with a new 200+ watt panel and a new controller, and maybe some new batteries.
The controller is a BP one. The following ken I think.
GCR2000 / SIGMA = 20A
Reid Code REG344

I have four 130amp batteries as house which I'm about to replace as they seem to have cracked and bulging cases. I have a single reserve battery as well, 125 I think.

I've never worked out the Amps I use, but is suspect it would be fairly hefty over 24 hrs when cruising as I used a fridge and raymarine auto pilot continuously.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 05:30   #12

Boat: Mustang 3800

This is my usage I worked out today as I am looking to add some solar and extra batteries, especially after I saw what I would be using even shutdown overnight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-6.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	85375  
Biggusstickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 05:59   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggusstickus View Post
This is my usage I worked out today as I am looking to add some solar and extra batteries, especially after I saw what I would be using even shutdown overnight.
Call me a pedant or a nit-picker if you want, but please switch the headings Amp Hours and Amps. (and change the cabin lights from "Ah" to "A").

The instantaneous draw of a device is Amps, when you run it for a number of hours - you consume Amp hours.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 06:08   #14

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggusstickus View Post
Your fridge and freezer hours seem a little off to me. You have one running 12 hours at night and the other 8 hours. My experience is they don't run that often. You are not opening them and therefore they are holding the cold better. Also the temperatures are cooler at night generally. When I did my power consumption estimate I had the refrigerator running 8 hours per day. Now that I am actually measuring with my battery monitor I am seeing even less than that.

I would recommend you install a battery monitor and do some real world tests versus your calcs before you purchase the solar panels.

Fair winds,

Jesse
Old 22-07-2014, 16:13   #15

Boat: Mustang 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Call me a pedant or a nit-picker if you want, but please switch the headings Amp Hours and Amps. (and change the cabin lights from "Ah" to "A").

The instantaneous draw of a device is Amps, when you run it for a number of hours - you consume Amp hours.
Yes quite right StuM and I shall change it. It was put together in a bit of a hurry yesterday and I mainly did it so tedsherrin would have a bit of an idea on what his consumption may be. Mistakes do happen
Biggusstickus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, solar