Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2013, 04:28   #16

Boat: Allures 44
Re: Solar Panels: Arch vs Bimini

We put our solar panels on the bimini because we already had one. The panels are aft of the boom, and shading is only created by the mast. It works well. They can be removed in about 15-20 minutes for hauling, a storm, or offshore sailing. The wiring takes most of the time - the clamps release in a jiffy, and then you stow the panels below on the aft bunk. There's a photo in my gallery.

For cost and simplicity I might consider a bimimi / arch made of solar panels if starting from scratch. I recently saw such an installation on a Bowman 40, with 4-5 narrow, rectangular panels oriented fore and aft over the cockpit, their sides flush with each other, in a slight arch. It provided decent shade, and with a little attention to the seams between the panels it might even provide protection from the rain.

In sketching your plan, account for the backstay, which moves slightly, especially if it's adjustable. Also, decide if you want to be able to look up at your mainsail from the helm as you're driving, in which case you'll need a gap between the panels.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 04:28   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Solar panels: Arch vs Bimini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I agree, your solution can be multifunctional, by butting the panels together to create shade and having no shade material underneath Panels..

I think whether you call it an Arch or a Bimini support for solar panels the structure would need to be the same strength for what you are putting on top in strong winds. (Basically minimum of 4 point structure with bracing)

Because beam will taper down as they lay aft, the wedge space in center can be a strong removable vinyl (Stamoid type) material like the cross section I show using a U-Chanel for example to secure both Panels and Vinyl Spacer in between.

This maximized ventilation under panels, creates a rain gutter /water catcher and centre material wedge can easily be removed using a simple fastening batten

Structural Design Decisions:
Do I want to have Panels up all the time?
If no, do I have a safe place to store them on Board?
What is my weight penalty?

I have a bigger boat, but the principle is just the same
Thanks Pelagic. This comes very close to what I was envisioning plus you brought up some things I had not considered.
Old 27-01-2013, 04:47   #18

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
In sketching your plan, account for the backstay, which moves slightly, especially if it's adjustable. Also, decide if you want to be able to look up at your mainsail from the helm as you're driving, in which case you'll need a gap between the panels.
Good advice, thanks. I've got check-stays so that's something I've definitely got to consider.
Old 27-01-2013, 05:59   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we put our on our bimini and have none of the issue that are mentioned above -- in fact they are probably better there as very little wind can get under them and try to lift them off -- below is a pic of ours -- it is a bit old as we have added a third panel and will a 4th in a couple of months -- our ais gps receiver and antenna are between the panels now but not shown here -- by the way there is a piece of bimini that covers the opening and is usually closed
we have sailed from fla to mexico to colombia to jamaica and down to trinidad and now working back up island with this configuration and not one issue --

just our opinion and what works for us
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in terrel bay carriacou

chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, bimini, solar