Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2009, 20:28   #16

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
Okay, thanks.
I thought perhaps you were talking about something specific.

Extemp.
Sorry I can't be specific about it. I just failed to file info in the proper crevises of my remaining gray matter. Given enough time this thread should bring it out.

I saw/read several article recently regarding new materials being developed. My quick search bore that out. The marine industry is beginning to get the benifit of what the auto industry is now paying attention to. While solar power is not a focus of the auto industry, there is nontheless attention in that area as well.
Old 19-02-2009, 20:42   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
When I had the windgen on the mizzen there was always a real danger having a halyard become entangled in the blades. Also I will add that the output is never what the manufacturer says it is.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 21:47   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
nothing complex here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
"The advantages of mounting on the mizzen mast include (1) less noise in the cockpit..."

This is a little confusing. The mizzen mast is in the cockpit. How does mounting it there make the cockpit less noisey?
...the turbine is about twice as far away from the eardrums when mounted on a mizzen mast (generally above the spreaders) than when mounted on a dedicated mast (generally 9 feet above the coaming.) With the newer, more quiet turbines, that much difference is significant.
Old 20-02-2009, 05:38   #19

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
I have our Air Breeze mounted on top of the mizzen, not on the front 2/3's of the way up. Since it has a 360 degree swivel mount with "commutators" on the mount, it has complete freedom to rotate with no stops.

The only problem I had with the mount is that we also have a 2m ham antenna and a backup VHF (future AIS) antenna up there, mounted fore and aft on a piece of stainless channel bar. In some pretty hefty winds and seas last summer in LI Sound when Kyle passed offshore, we had some oscillations set in, and the Air Breeze clipped the VHF whip! It's now horizontal instead of vertical! So, when I have time, I'll climb the mast to replace the whip - and mount the antenna upside down...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 10:36   #20

Boat: Corbin 39, 'Pinguescence'
Thank you to everyone who replied. I am much indebted. It is great to hear from both the people who have prior experience and also those wise ones who just know. I am in the preliminary stages of the very nerve-racking buying procedure, so I shall be crossing my fingers that all goes well. I like the idea of mounting the windgen at the top of the mizzen, and appreciate the fact that an arch at the back might just be too cumbersome and cost me more slip fee. Thanks once again.
cgaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 10:43   #21

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
Good luck on the boat purchase! What are you looking at, if that's not too nosey?
TAREUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 20:33   #22
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
I have direct experience with a SuperWind having recently installed one on a client's sloop. It is a very well built and blessedly quiet machine, even in the 20 kt winds that come with our cold fronts this time of year.
Of note to anyone considering a wind generator, read and interpret the wind speed vs. amps (or watts) output curves in the literature. You will find that, in general, you will not receive any appreciable power until the wind exceeds about 15 kts. In my neck of the woods that means that you will have an expensive and decorative fan until you go south of 20 N (approximately Puerto Rico.)
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 22:58   #23

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Lightbulb

In my neck of the woods, I could be supplying the national electricity grid ...

Today: Northwest 25 knots gusting 35 knots. Sea rough. Cloudy periods.
Tomorrow: Northwest 25 knots gusting 35 knots. Sea rough. Fair visibility in a few showers.

Outlook:</B>Monday:</B>Northwest 30 knots easing evening to 15 knots. Few showers. Tuesday:</B> Changing morning southerly 25 knots. Few showers clearing. Wednesday:</B> Southerly 20 knots easing. Fine weather.
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 10:26   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Most all marinas on the US east coast will still factor your slip rental by the manufactrurs LOA and not concern themselves with minor alterations like davits although policies do vary. I keep my solar panel on my ketch above my dinghy davits and my wind generator on the mizzen above my radar. Unlike one of the posts above, my wind gen. at this location can turn a full 360 degrees.

This second photo does show my mizzen staysail halyard caught in the wind generator. One event in 10 years & without consequence. My more frequently used mizzen halyard on the starboard side of the mast runs through a ring that prevents this error. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is online now   Reply With Quote