Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 16:14   #1
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
Solar Panels and Charge Controllers

I'm planning to install two Kyocera 200W (26V) panels on top of my Bimini and three GE 50 Watt (17.4V) panels on top of my dodger. Will I need two separate charge controllers for the two banks of panels?
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 17:02   #2

Nope...check out this one. Outback Mx60 60A,12-48V Mppt Charge Controller

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 17:09   #3
cruiser

I was real excited till I read the note..
Note: For optimal Maximum Power Point Tracking performance, it is recommended that MPPT charge controllers be used in conjunction with uniform solar arrays consisting of multiple, identical solar panels. MPPT charge controllers will still work with mixed arrays, but at reduced efficiencies, which defeats the whole point of MPPT technology. These devices were designed to calculate the most efficient charging characteristics given the assumption of a uniform array. Mixed arrays, by definition throw this calculation off.
Old 09-06-2008, 18:02   #4

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Trim,
the foot-print of two 200 watt pannels is a large area . I've goty two 75s atop my bimini and its pretty large.. concerning the controlers, I dont know that I've read anything about the "morningstar" units that would prohibit from running them through one pannel.
I have two controlers, A pro-star 15 for the solar and a Tri-star (TS-45) on the wind charger. my only concern would be the amps your putting out and having a controler that would handle the power.
Inclosed is a picture of my boat with the solar atop the bimini. you can see what I mean by the size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	3816  
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:20   #5

Skiertwo

Hi all, I have a problem that I hope someone in the forum will be able to help me with: I have fitted a 160watt solar panel with a charge controler. The contoler has live and neg. connections for the panel, battery and load. I have connected the panel and battery and have not bothered with the load connections and have registered 16V during charging as apposed to the 14.2V I have read as ideal. Is the 16V a problem or normal? Is it vital that I connect the load side, and if so how and to what part of the load do I connect? Thanks for any help.
skiertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:39   #6

I am no expert but 16v sounds too high.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:42   #7

You've got some bad readings comming off the controler.. Back the reading up with a check of the batteries with a Volt meter... and are you running a 24 volt system or by chance did you pick up a 24 volt controler?
The load side of the controler is so you can monitor the amps being used for a particular system.. unless your system your system is designed for a "deverter load"
in which the load is a heat sink or a loop in you water heater.
Need mor information ..........
What size system are you using.. 12 or 24, what type of controler are you using?
Is the controler programable?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:44   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
I'm planning to install two Kyocera 200W (26V) panels on top of my Bimini and three GE 50 Watt (17.4V) panels on top of my dodger. Will I need two separate charge controllers for the two banks of panels?
I am sorry to hijack your post and I don't have an answer but I was wondering if you could let me know the dimensions of your 50W GE panels.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:13   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I am sorry to hijack your post and I don't have an answer but I was wondering if you could let me know the dimensions of your 50W GE panels.
GE’s GEPV-050* Photovoltaic Modules measure 26.0" (661mm) x 33.8" (858mm) x 1.4" Thick (35mm), and weigh 16.6 lb (7.5 kg)

* Peak power of 50 Watts at 17.3 Volts (Voc = 22V)

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:18   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiertwo View Post
Is the 16V a problem or normal? Is it vital that I connect the load side, and if so how and to what part of the load do I connect? Thanks for any help.
Depending on what make of charge control you have, you should be able to select you output voltage via dip switches.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:23   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Trim,
the foot-print of two 200 watt pannels is a large area .
My bimini is 87" across beam and 56.5" wide. The Kyocera 200W panel is 39" X 56.2"....they should work just fine. I plan to make a rack exactly like yours.

How do you feel about your wind generator? I've talked with people that wished they had spent the money on solar rather than wind.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:12   #12

For my use, I like the use of both and would'nt chose one over the other, As you know in your area, the wind blows at night.
I've been out at two harbors when the solar was almost nothing because of overcast but the wind was blowing around 15 knots and the amp guage was reading positive.
When looking for different wind chargers, I chose the 4-winds as its the simplest and easiest to re-build if needed, and is a basic generator.. just installed a new set of brushes in it last week as the old one were worn about half way down. its now good for another 4 to 5 years...
I've been off the grid for over 4 years now and as I look over at the readings,
solar is putting out 6.4amps, wind charger is at 4 to 5 amps and the reffer is pulling 4.8............overall I'm showing 13.3 volts on the house bank...
system is working great..
You can see the combination of the solar and wind I'm using
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	3821  
Old 10-06-2008, 12:10   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
... as I look over at the readings,
solar is putting out 6.4amps, wind charger is at 4 to 5 amps and the reffer is pulling 4.8............overall I'm showing 13.3 volts on the house bank...
system is working great..
You can see the combination of the solar and wind I'm using
Does the picture show a normally "shadowed" condition?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 14:41   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

SKIER-
"and have not bothered with the load connections "
Measurements made under no load are meaningless. You MUST take the measurements under a real load. For example, I measured solar panels as putting out 14V under no load during dusk conditions, but that plummeted to 3V under a normal load. The new controllers are also active electronics, what they put out will vary depending on the load conditions they sense. Again, you MUST have a real load (or a simluated load) hooked up in order to make meaningful measurements.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 16:22   #15

hey randyonr. Are you able to power your whole boat (fridge,comp,tv ect....) with the two solar pannels and wind thing (cant think of word). or do you also use power from your engine.