Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 16:55   #46

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Re: Solar Panels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
I've had great luck with those Anderson connectors on shore side applications. They carry a ton of amps & don't cry about it.

I'm curious though, how well do they hold up in a marine environment? I've never tried them around salt water.
I get my best prices on those connectors from a forklift supply place called Helmar Parts. They have a website. They do mail order. They are friendly to deal with.
I would assume using a die-electric grease and maintaining them should suffice. Overseas, I made it a common practice to test, clean and repack (die-electric) and replace if necessary..DAILY (our missions were pretty important..couldn't allow failure).

I could not get the suggested crimper through ARMY channels, so I ordered one of these.

Hydraulic Wire Crimping Tool
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 17:37   #47

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post

I would assume using a die-electric grease and maintaining them should suffice. Overseas, I made it a common practice to test, clean and repack (die-electric) and replace if necessary..DAILY (our missions were pretty important..couldn't allow failure).

I could not get the suggested crimper through ARMY channels, so I ordered one of these.

Hydraulic Wire Crimping Tool
I have the Harbor Freight crimper that I have using on my complete re-wire job. Has done a fine job for me. And at the right price.

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 00:16   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
I'm curious though, how well do they hold up in a marine environment? I've never tried them around salt water.
In the early days I used them quite a lot and they they held up well. A had one that connected a portable solar panel that was subject to quite a lot of spray. Every 4-5 years I would cut it off and fit a new one, it was easier than trying to clean up the contacts.

However these days there are better fully waterproof connectors that would be more suitable for this application.

I do have one Anderson plug on my boat at the moment. Its is connected to a heavy duty 12v lead that will reach all corners of the boat. I can use this to plug in a portable builge pump, spotlight etc. The connectors will take up to 50A . It is inside so is still as good as new.

A home made adapter converts the lead into cig lighter socket when necessary, although I usually have enough scattered around the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	65240  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:22   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frigoboat Info View Post
Not to worry, Rebel. There is no warranty on Kyocera panels when used on a boat.

That's odd because Kyocera just replaced a panel for me that was used in a marine application. The junction box failed, I sent photos of the failure, with it installed on the boat & Kyocera shipped a brand new panel to me via eMarine at zero cost to me..

Apparently DeOxIt products (terminal protection) should not be used near o in the j-boxes as it may make them brittle. None the less Kyocera was tremendous to deal with and replaced the panel without question....
Old 08-08-2013, 07:40   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Speaking of plugs:

Can anyone recommend a good physical connection for panels (or anything else) ? I'd like to be able to remove our panels and put them down below for hurricanes and the such. Chopping the wires and re attaching them is obviously possible but if there's a decent weather-proof plug I'd be interested.
I've been using Anderson Powerpoles for a lot of projects on board these days. Including rewiring solar panel connections:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: SOLAR BIMINI REWIRE
Make them waterproof by a dab of silicone or marine goop on the back and taping the joints. Could also heat shrink them if you want. Best to use a crimper made for them though. Also using them in the cabin for other projects like the conversion of the light in the head to LED:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: REWIRING THE HEAD LIGHT: PART TWO
Old 08-08-2013, 07:57   #51

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA1 View Post
Now that I'm an official boat owner (Catalina 30) I would like to add solar panels to my boat....because I want to. The boat's power demand is- refrigerator, auto-helm, electronic gadgets= about 9 Amps. (about 110 W)

The boat has 2- 12V lead-acid batteries.

There's a Bimini and Dodger already installed which would make for a nice mounting area.

I'd like your opinion-

- What would be a good range of PV panel output?
Maybe 150W?

- Where is the typical panel location?
On top of the Bimini?
As "wings" on either side of the cockpit?
Over the Transom?

- Which is better in terms on durablity, output and longevity?
Flexible panels?
Polycrystaline rigid panels?

- Which is a better PV panel manufacturer?
Kyocera sound like they're pretty good.

I do understand most of the variables that are involved and am very competent for installing them myself.

Please, let me know your thoughts.
Lots of good info on panels and recommendations re: how much power you need, but I wanted to point out that your battery bank may be undersized for your power requirements, especially the refrigeration. Remember that the sun will go down and your batteries will need to provide the oomph until it comes around again. If you're running a 12v frig and a few lights, you may find that you're significantly discharged by morning.

We have similar power needs to you. We put 250 watts of Solbian panels on our bimini last winter, but we also boosted our house bank to 4X230Ah 6volt golf cart batteries from Sam's Club. With the panels and the 460Ah bank, we turned the frig on when we commissioned the boat in May and it hasn't been off for more than a few minutes since. IMHO, an appropriately sized battery bank is an important part of your consideration. BTW, the Solbian panels work extremely well, but I acknowledge that, from a purely financial perspective, you can get a better value.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 14:51   #52
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
IMHO, an appropriately sized battery bank is an important part of your consideration.
Absolutely right there.

Also on the warranty issue and as suggested in Maine Sail's post, the sea water exclusion on warranties doesn't necessarily mean there will be no warranty coverage. SunPower also say they will provide warranty support (including for the panels installed on our vessel) in the event that the panel(s) fail or deteriorate due to something other than the exposure to salt water; we should add that we have not had any occasion to test this promise. The letter of the warranties, however, exclude marine use.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 23:23   #53

Boat: Island Packet, 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
SunPower panels are the lightest, smallest and most powerfull. I have been using 2 x 230 watt, 33lbs each 31 inches X 61 inches X 1.8 inch panels for the last five years and you forget what is powering your boat. These panels even pump out power in foggy over cast days.

I live in the Northeast USA and had no problem buying 4 for a friend and myself.
Five of my friends have purchased the SunPower panels with no issues.
Do not call a dealer or installer. Call an electrical distributor and they will sell SunPower panels to you tax free in most states.

Sanyo also makes a panel that is pretty good.

Remember with solar panels you want to do it right the first time, so go big or go home.
Cotemar which charge controller are you using with your Sunpower panels? I'm looking at the new Sunpower X21 panels for my IP380, but it looks like most charge controllers can not handle the 57.3 Vmmp that the panels are rated to. The only one that I've found which is rated for input voltages this high are made by Apollo Solar: Off Grid Solar Charge Controllers

Has anyone used these charge controllers, or can recommend one for the Sunpower panels?
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 23:44   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I'm looking at the new Sunpower X21 panels for my IP380, but it looks like most charge controllers can not handle the 57.3 Vmmp that the panels are rated to.
Make sure the charge controller can handle Voc which is higher than Vmp. (68.2v on the x-21) Even then it needs to have some leeway as voltages can occasionally be higher than Voc.

The best charge controllers for larger high voltage arrays are the Outback, or Midnite. The Outback is well proven and very reliable. The Midnite is very similar (designed by the same person), but has some new features like removal display and user changeable software, but does not have the proven track record and has fewer compatible integrated components.
Both are very good.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 05:36   #55

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Cotemar which charge controller are you using with your Sunpower panels? I'm looking at the new Sunpower X21 panels for my IP380, but it looks like most charge controllers can not handle the 57.3 Vmmp that the panels are rated to. The only one that I've found which is rated for input voltages this high are made by Apollo Solar: Off Grid Solar Charge Controllers

Has anyone used these charge controllers, or can recommend one for the Sunpower panels?
I am using a BlueSky Solar Boost 50 for my panels. Call or e-mail BlueSky and ask them. They were every helpful to me when I set my system up
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 01:48   #56

Boat: Lagoon 450

Im presently designing up a solar system for my Lagoon 450 using Sunpower E20/327Wx3 for similar reasons as youve described above: fair price, advanced design, high efficiency. I have been working with a solar/electrical engineer/consultant to ensure all components are compatible, correctly sized, etc. It will be wired in parallel - and there is a lot of discussion on this subject in CF on this issue.

My calculated usage is estimated to be: Passagemaking 300 Ah/Day; Anchor 180 Ah/day; outside of running any AC. While the solar will delivery more than my consumption I decided to ensure to be on the conservative side.

The CF forum has been quite influential in my selection, listening to the pro/con arguments, expertise, etc.

Ive attached the arrangement as planned today.
Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LAGOON 450 SOLAR PANEL GENERAL ARRANGEMENT (2).pdf (46.4 KB, 130 views)
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 16:18   #57
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good luck with your installation Steve...sounds great!
Old 26-08-2013, 17:36   #58

Boat: Island Packet, 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
Ive attached the arrangement as planned today.
Steve
Thanks for sharing the wiring diagram of your solar set up. I'd love to see photos once you get the panels installed.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 23:38   #59

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Quote:

I am using a Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60A controller with my Sunpower E20 327W. They can take Maximum Solar Open Circuit Voltage 150 volts DC.

Dave
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 00:55   #60
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspeak View Post
I am using a Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60A controller with my Sunpower E20 327W. They can take Maximum Solar Open Circuit Voltage 150 volts DC.

Dave
...and we're using an Outback FLEXMAX 60 with 2 x SunPower E20's. The FM60 PV Open Circuit Voltage is also 150VDC.

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels