Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 09:00   #1

Boat: Tartan 34C
Solar Panel + Wind Generator into One CC?

I have had good luck with a 145W solar panel and an HQRP 20A charge controller. However, there have been a few times when an increase in load (refrig, lights, GPS, VHF, autopilot, etc.) coupled with an overcast day pulled my three Group 31 batteries into the danger zone. I am looking at installing this wind generator Windwalker 250 wind generator for RV and marine - Free Spirit Energy
to supplement my solar power. Free Spirit likens this wind genny to a trickle charger, which should fill in the gaps on cloudy days without draining my cruising kitty.

The HQRP CC has input lines for two panels, and I am wondering how the different charging characteristics of the wind genny might affect the performance and/or durability of the unit. How do other cruisers connect wind and solar generators to the batteries? Should I run the wind genny into another CC to flatten the incoming pulses, then feed that constant current into the existing CC? Or would another type of regulator do better longer?

I guess this thread also introduces the Free Spirit wind generators to the Forum, and I expect there will be comments on that item as well.

Thanks, as always!

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:36   #2

Re: Solar Panel + Wind Generator into One CC?

Try not to do what many cruisers do and that is to mount your Wind Gen above your solar panels which due to shadows degrades the panel in a big way.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 18:32   #3

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Hi, I have been planning my solar/wind system for quite some time now and from what I understand of this is that you need a dump load for the wind gen and a brake so it does not free wheel when it is not charging which can be dangerous as well. I am looking at Missouri Wind pieces and I am impressed with what they offer. Hope this helps you some. I'm a beginner...
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 20:36   #4

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

The Silent-wind gen controller does both wind and solar. Works well. See my site if your interested.
Matt
Old 03-11-2014, 07:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee View Post
what I understand of this is that you need a dump load for the wind gen and a brake so it does not free wheel when it is not charging which can be dangerous as well.
This solves a different problem. The two sources (solar panel and wind generator) put out different "types" of electricity, different wave/pulse profiles. I want to know if a standard HQRP CC can handle both, either independently or simultaneously. Or would it work to put another HQRP CC on the wind generator and feed THAT rectified current into the CC that is hooked to the solar panel.

Everyone's a newb at the beginning!

John
Old 03-11-2014, 11:50   #6

Hi, That's what I like about their products, you can connect both solar and wind to them. I have looked at what seems like a million controllers and I really like the different choices they offer with any combination of auxiliary devices...And...they do not break my small bank! Even their wind turbines are relatively cheap compared to some of the others I have seen. Sorry, I just cannot afford to spend $1600 on a wind turbine...I'm looking at a 9 blade 1600Watt, 12Vdc..
What I want to do is grab one of their basic controllers off ebay on an auction (cheap) and add pieces to it. I definitely want to add the resistors for a dump load. I cross reference their website with ebay to check for price variations as well...pretty consistant.
Nice chatting with ya...let me know what you are thinking with this...I am always ready to listen and learn!
Have a good day...
Willie
PS. before you make any decisions, go to the website and watch the many videos they have...Not for nothing, for the money I would not buy a 250W wind turbine...The 1600W is under $400
Old 06-11-2014, 19:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee View Post
I'm looking at a 9 blade 1600Watt, 12Vdc..
...The 1600W is under $400
The blades on that 1600W unit are over 5 feet tip-to-tip and the length is almost 4 feet! It weighs over 40 pounds. The 250W unit I'm looking at is 2 feet by 2 feet and 4 pounds. It's removable, as well. Builder says to hook it directly to the batteries.
Old 06-11-2014, 19:33   #8

I wanna fly!!! Only kidding...I made a wind gen that works fine and each blade is 26" long...with the body I guess it's close to 5 feet...but with one side up it doesn't seem that big...hell, I carried it out of the house completely assembled! It took some squirming...but I made it.
Its a tread mill moter and it produces well for my shop. I just want a professionally built turbine on my boat...and I want some real power so when it does work I have charged batteries. I also like the turbine brake switch. If ya wanna talk some time...my skype is: william.bevalet
I have tons of ideas..most of them work anyway......I make a lot of LED stuff...I can share.

Tags
generator, solar, wind, wind generator