Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2017, 16:32   #211

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: Solar Panel Output verse rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Brian the panel was from renogy. The controller was from a vendor out of california dont remember who . Here is an ebay link to a simmilar controller

LCD 10/20/30A 12V/24V Solar Panel Controller Regulator Charge Battery Protection | eBay
And yes I did the install myself there is a photo album on my page of the.install.
Rob SV Meer Schaum
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Actually I did want solar long before I considerd the financial aspect.
I have a 30lumen solar garden light for my anchor light it is independent of house batteries. I even have a solar reading light that is again ok ndependant of the house if I need it.
Good. And Much Appreciation. Got both questions answered. Your price information, along with possible sourcing, puts whole new face on solar for a boat. One can start inexpensively (almost cheap) and evaluate from there. My thanks, and perhaps that of others, after so much minimally informative wrangling during the earlier life of this thread.
Old 15-03-2017, 18:43   #212
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Good. And Much Appreciation. Got both questions answered. Your price information, along with possible sourcing, puts whole new face on solar for a boat. One can start inexpensively (almost cheap) and evaluate from there. My thanks, and perhaps that of others, after so much minimally informative wrangling during the earlier life of this thread.
Do you realize that this thread is called "Solar Panel Output verse rating" ? Why don't you create a new thread ? You have interesting questions and interesting answers I suppose, but those are totally off topic.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 19:07   #213
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Do you realize that this thread is called "Solar Panel Output verse rating" ? Why don't you create a new thread ? You have interesting questions and interesting answers I suppose, but those are totally off topic.
You do realise the op had his question answered in the first few replies. The rest of this thread has been a drift to both sides with a few middle of the road posts thrown in. I have a 100 watt panel tilted to 30°so on monday if its sunny I fully expect to have a full 100 watts output from about 10 to 1400 local solar time. Im not going to measure it because my batteries will be fully charged by then.and a full bank is all I want and need for my batteries to attain float each day.
Old 15-03-2017, 19:21   #214

This is or may be post #214, and I may be the only one receiving a fully satisfactory answer to as question, plus the bonus of identification of a business that I will not patronize. Life and this forum are good.
Old 15-03-2017, 19:36   #215

Quote:
What? Start a new thread, and perhaps wait for over 200 non-responsive replies, including the whiners, and perhaps never receive a direct answer. I am not insane. But thanks for asking, despite the fact that your question is off topic.
Old 16-03-2017, 12:51   #216

Quote:
I don't see how this is interesting but:
You are claiming a 14% gain over the STC rating.

Quote:
that is 14% above STC rating at the best time of the day
I would not be that pleased to read current value in excess of given rating, (over loading any appliances is normally not recommended)

Are you damaging your solar panels?
That what is of interest to me?

Also is your (Victron 150/60) MPPT regulator producing much heat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
One of the things I didn't consider when setting up my controller was the amount of heat the MPPT unit would generate while doing its thing. Unfortunately, I mounted the controller in a compartment that doesn't vent heat well. If I ever replace the system, one of the main things I'll investigate is how a given controller vents and handles heat.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 13:48   #217
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
What? Start a new thread, and perhaps wait for over 200 non-responsive replies, including the whiners, and perhaps never receive a direct answer. I am not insane. But thanks for asking, despite the fact that your question is off topic.
I've been in a weather anchor waiting hole for a few days and I'm not going to try to reply to all the "stuff" on the thread. But to my orginal question:

I'm still getting peak power of around 220-230W from my 290W panel on average. But every 5-10 days I get full rating and sometimes even more.

As far as all the stuff about angles etc. that was just experts being, well .... One of the things I just let go was that I got the same power and sometimes more when the boat up near Boston as it has gotten down here now in the Bahamas. So theory just be damned, which goes back to the original question that few answered!
Old 16-03-2017, 14:46   #218
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I've been in a weather anchor waiting hole for a few days and I'm not going to try to reply to all the "stuff" on the thread. But to my orginal question:

I'm still getting peak power of around 220-230W from my 290W panel on average. But every 5-10 days I get full rating and sometimes even more.

As far as all the stuff about angles etc. that was just experts being, well .... One of the things I just let go was that I got the same power and sometimes more when the boat up near Boston as it has gotten down here now in the Bahamas. So theory just be damned, which goes back to the original question that few answered!
Don in my opinion you are seeing about what you should for each days readings when you factor in all the variables which because you are on a moving platform change minute by minute.
The real question is are your batteries getting fully charged by your panels? Most days.
Old 16-03-2017, 15:01   #219
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

Sound like every few days Solar radiation is stronger than average, maybe clearer atmosphere?
Likely in Boston you are remembering days closer to summer than now
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 15:47   #220
rom

Quote:

Now that is interesting new information from you ! How much more do you get ? I have been monitoring my panels more than usual since you started this thread and it appears that there is a very slight window during the day where the ouput is way more than rated. It is around 1 pm and would last for about half an hour or so. And I am getting about 100% for a bit less than 2 hours.
Old 16-03-2017, 15:53   #221
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Now that is interesting new information from you ! How much more do you get ? I have been monitoring my panels more than usual since you started this thread and it appears that there is a very slight window during the day where the ouput is way more than rated. It is around 1 pm and would last for about half an hour or so. And I am getting about 100% for a bit less than 2 hours.
In otherwords you are as expected getting your best preformance for about an hour on either side of solar noon local time
That is not any surprise to anyone.
Old 16-03-2017, 15:53   #222
rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Are you damaging your solar panels?
I guess not but how would I know taht ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala
Also is your (Victron 150/60) MPPT regulator producing much heat?
There are a bit hot indeed but I believe that is ok. Still, the output of the MPPT is less than its max rating.

I have not controlled amps coming out of the MPPT though, I will do that test shortly.
Old 15-04-2017, 19:23   #223

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I checked my 60W panel output last week. It was 52W full sun, no shade, almost squared off to the sun and about 75 degrees out. Measured with a Victron BMV 700 battery monitor.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 21:24   #224

Boat: Hunter 44DS

I have three 175 watt solar panels on the back of my yacht that were installed by the previous owners in 2010. Would it be any benefit of improved performance to replace them with the same size new panels? Has there been much improvement to performance in 7 years
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 05:08   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
I have three 175 watt solar panels on the back of my yacht that were installed by the previous owners in 2010. Would it be any benefit of improved performance to replace them with the same size new panels? Has there been much improvement to performance in 7 years
Would first ask if what you have is adequate for your needs? If so, need more be said? If not, it is tougher, but it may be that a supplement, not a replacement, is the better route. To answer your basic question, probably some benefit (which answers the "any" part), The other question, as to improve performance since the original install, despite sounding completely objective, is so loaded as to be like the first canon shot in a naval battle. I say yes, but not terribly significant. Now I duck and cover.

Tags
solar