Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 16:58   #1

Boat: (between boats)
Solar Panel Mount to 1" Tubing

I'm adding 4 130watt panels to Island Hops - got to power the new fridge/freezer - and will be building a frame from 1" diameter ss tubing. I got the design from a sistership P39. My issue is in locating a mount to attach the panel to the tube frame. I'm looking for some type of inexpensive split block to encircle the tube with screws on either side to bolt to the panel. My sistership fabricated thier own fittings from some kind of hard plastic material. I'm in the midst of an engine swap and other projects before a down island trip and at this point just need a solution.
Yes I've checked westmarine/defender etc. but I'm not finding what I need.

So to those of you who mounted panels to tube - what fittings did you use and where did you get them?

Thanks in advance,

Island Hops.
IslandHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 17:09   #2

Boat: Tasman elite Cat
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson
The mounting blocks I obtained were from a hydraulic hose supply.They are used for supporting hydraulic pipes.Made from a nylon type material,I just changed the bolt to ss Hope this helps
cheers Steve
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 17:21   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
cutting board plastic

made mine of cutting board plastic.

start with 2" squares. cut out the center with a one-inch hole saw. counter sink for two 2.25 inch bolts running through the square on each side of the center hole of the perpendicular axis. now cut the squares in half, bisecting the center hole on its original axis.

Done.
Old 08-06-2009, 17:32   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
I used u-bolts to the tubes. I screwed my panels onto marine Plywood to give it extra stability. Bolted the u-bolts to the plywood.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 18:09   #5

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash
I used a mount bought at a marine store ready made for things like mounting BBQ's on the rail. Inexpensive and strong.
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 19:05   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
I used something like "Quartersplash's" post on my last boat. West Marine sells it and Johnson Marine manufactures it. It is basically a stainless steel strap bent into a 1" hole in the center and two bolt holes at the end of the strap. When you tighten the bolts, it tightens the clamp around the tube and locks it in place. Price was only about 8 buck last time I saw them.
Old 08-06-2009, 19:24   #7

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
I used two pieces of 1/8" x 1" aluminum strips bolted to the panel edges and two plastic rail clamp mounts fro wastemarine..model #5142070. I removed the small rubber disc that was on the insid surface so that they would rotate around the 1'' tube. Sorry, I forget what I paid for them.........
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 19:34   #8

I've used these for a few projects. They're not cheap but they do come in pairs and work great.

Fast Mount Rail Clamp
PA28235Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 19:49   #9

Boat: 1987 Watkins 25 Wu-Hsin
I mounted 4 ICP brand solar panels using the brackets included and hose clamping the brackets to the 1" ss tube frame. Not an elegant solution and I like the ones I read above. You can just make out the clamps in the left picture below. Two more panels were added later to an extension of the frome continuing over the cockpit enclosure/bimini/dodger.

The hose clamps held the panels in place for a 1000 mile trip from Charleston, SC to Norfolk, VA and back on the ICW including 55kt winds on Mothers day 2008 in beaufort , NC. Also held for a 1500 mile trip from Charleston to Abacos Bahamas including being hit by 2 10' breaking seas broadside and the array taking the brunt of the hit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Two 130w solar panels over bimini.JPG
Views:	865
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	8481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu-Hsin 2 of 4 Solar Panels mounted.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	8482  

cosmosmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 19:57   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I used the mounts that PA28235Pilot mentions to mount my 130 watt Kyocera panels. They work fine but will not keep the panels in position when mounted off center on the panel. Mine are mounted about 1/3rd of the way down on the short axis of the panels. Need a pole of some kind to keep the panels horizontal which is no big thing.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:00   #11

Boat: Privilege 39
IslandHops - can you pass along the frame design? I'll be doing something similar next spring on our Privilege 39... Can you take some pictures too once it's completed? Thanks!!!
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:16   #12

Boat: Freedom Express 39 - Attitudes
I drew mine up and had a customer make them up for me (although if I hadn't been lazy I could have done it myself) from Delrin. They support my panels without the need for a strut.