Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 06:29   #1

Solar Panel Failure

Hello all,
In 2010 I bought a 75w. flexi from MEI made by GBSOL both in UK. it was fitted to my boat in Holland in 2011 I then used the canals to the Med.in France it worked fine fitted on broad marine double sided tape to stop it overheating standard procedure,on my flat wheelhouse roof.Last year it failed so my bilge pump & alarm battery was not charged whilst away for 5 months.
The local yard electrician & I ( I'm an Ocean yachtmaster/engineer) checked it out found no voltage so checked cable for continuity this needed a small cover removed from panel,continuity was fine so it was panel failure after a year.
MEI had men in the area & returned it to GBSOL who said the panel had indeed failed but because we had removed the cover the five year guarantee was invalid.On the internet I found a VW motorhome owner who had fitted 2 of these panels stuck them with sikaflex as advised ! took him a while to remove !! & they had both failed on his custom black van
GBSOL said this had happened through vibration ! Eventualy they replaced the panels not so with me after forking out £400 for the first they want me to buy another but they will post it in UK for free wow !
POINT is that these panels cannot stand the heat why ? I have fitted panels for over 25 years no problems.
rieaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar