Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2010, 15:08   #16
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I also have a pair of LED flickering flame, simulated bamboo torches on the boat that are unigue enough to help me find my boat in the dark anchorage.
WE HAVE A WINNER!

Not as cheap as some of the other suggestions, but still WAY cheaper than the light from West, and well worth the extra few bucks for the coolness factor. I am going to glue a little extra piece of plastic in the bottom of the lamp to seal them better, though.

And of course as soon as I got them, I threw new batteries in the West light just for the hell of it and it worked. It's probably not charging, though.

If these ones have a really short life, I think I'll just live with the dome light by the window.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 17:36   #17

Boat: Islander 36
So now I can find my way back to your boat too.

You're right. Way pricey in La Paz, BCS. But I stumbled acrossed some at OSH at the same price as the other units there. I bought back ups.
Old 28-08-2010, 06:30   #18
Marine Service Provider

I stumbled on the at Depot end of summer sale.
Old 17-09-2010, 16:58   #19

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Late Thanks for posted suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
We pop the battery out and replace it with 2000mAh rechargable.

They come with only 800mAh whihc only lasts till..... ummmmm about 4.30am!

Hate to admit it but I'm an Electrical/ Electronics Engineer (in a past life) and I totally overlooked the fact that those rechargeable AA actually DO come in different sizes!!! The ones in my lights were only 600's and I was recently able to replace them with 3400's. OMG what a difference!!! now with far less light in the day... I run all night and can cover the sensor in the daytime and they still are bright!

Odd what we forget to look at in small batteries of the rechargeable nature... I was ASSuming they were all the same....

Thanks for sharing Mark

I also shared the info with a few fellow sailors with smillar ASSuming problems.... even won a beer with one real ASSumer who would not believe it.
Old 17-09-2010, 19:00   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Hate to admit it but I'm an Electrical/ Electronics Engineer (in a past life) and I totally overlooked the fact that those rechargeable AA actually DO come in different sizes!!! The ones in my lights were only 600's and I was recently able to replace them with 3400's. OMG what a difference!!! now with far less light in the day... I run all night and can cover the sensor in the daytime and they still are bright!
I'm assuming the 3200's are NiMH? Most of these lights seem to come with NiCd, at least the one's I've seen.
Old 18-09-2010, 07:01   #21

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
I'm assuming the 3200's are NiMH? Most of these lights seem to come with NiCd, at least the one's I've seen.

Yep, the ones I removed are NiCd and new ones are NIMH. Looking at the marking they may be 3200's rather than 3400's. The marking is difficult to read as the batteries are dark green and the marking is light green.. but well over the 600's I had.

Oddly enough I got them here on Tortola... not a place known for having what you want available. I did, however have to pay $19.95 for 4 but that also included a battery charger that ran on AC or DC as part of the package. If they last a year that would be great. Considering placing one light out for charging in the day and bringing it in at night as a cabin light.... would probably set it back in the cockpit at night as I typically do not care to have lights on as I sleep in the cabin.
Old 21-10-2010, 10:33   #22

solar Rail light

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Can anyone recommend a good one?

I had one from West and the damn thing died. Just a little over a year old.

Saw one on another boat that appeared to be a lot brighter than the West one.
Hi Grunzster I have had some that I got from a Company in Canada and I have had them on my boat for over two years now and love them I have had to put new battery in them and clean them. the Company name was
Go Green Marine and they are sold in both US and Canada.I hope this helps and if you need any more info please let me know.

Thanks minman00
Brian Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 11:15   #23

My neighbor has these solar rope lights setup: Amazon.com: WHITE Solar Rope Tube 50 LED String Garden Light Inside/Outside: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I'm thinking of buying a strand and seeing how it goes. I like the idea of some night lighting around the rails but I don't like adding things that poke out and otherwise get in the way of running rigging (or even maybe kinda sorta could). I figure with those I could even put them underneath the bowsprit and stern pushpit for some neat effect as it glitters off the water.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 12:02   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Garden light s are great supplements (I use one at the bow and stern), but a marine 12v LED anchor light will be much brighter and safer.
The Bebi owl lights are cheap have a photo sensor to turn themselves off during the day.
LED Anchor Light-Waterproof & Rugged for Marine RV and Offgrid Use

If you prefer an approved light. The new Aqua Signal LED anchor light is also good and not too expensive.

Marcs idea of changing the batteries in the solar lights is excellent (although the garden lights with litium Ion batteries are even better), but a couple of things to remember with small rechargeable batteries.

1. Some are starting to make very exagerated claims about capacity. I doubt they have a capacity close to 3200 mHrs.
2. High capacity NIMH batteries tend to have a short life, are fussy about charging conditions and have a high self discharge rate

My recommendation would be to go for a known brand .The Sanyo eneloop batteries (2000 mAh) are excellent.
They are likely to have a better real capacity than the Chinese labeled 3200
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 17:15   #25

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
I'm wondering if the solar garden lights would have enough power in that little solar panel they come with to recharge those 3200 mAh batties completely.

I have two solar "spot" lights that are recharged with one small solar panel that lights up the number on my mailbox and stays lit for about 10 hours. They came with one small 6 x 6 solar panel and 20 foot of wire. The lights have been on the mailbox for at least 5 years.

Lowes also has a string of 100 small patio led lights with a similar solar panel.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 10:46   #26

Solar Rail light

Hi Khagan1227

yes when you look at the battery if it is a AAA they are 1.2v with 600mah
or bigger the solar pannel will be around 2 to 2.5v and about 800mah so if you start
with a fully charged battery the light draw only about .004 mah so at the end of the night you have used X amount the rest is a reserve so the next day if there is no sun you still will have light go to a web site gogreenmarine.ca
this is where I got my lights in Canada they are made just for boats I have had them for almost 3 season now and they have been super.

Thanks minman00
Brian Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote