Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2017, 07:24   #46
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Solar controller for LifePo4 batteries

Rich-
I would agree with you and John, but the recommendations I had seen were on the manufacturer's own web sites. I don't recall if that was Winston or CALB or both, and we all know (or should know) that web sites change from time to time, like Soviet history books. Da?
So it is nice that the salesmen, who aren't even licensees but are simply job lot traders, with no stake except sales, are saying don't worry, give us your money and go sailing. But the folks who have to warranty this stuff, and would be held responsible if something happened, just can't seem to agree if there's a problem or not.
There's an odd humor in the fact that everyone who has these cells says "No problem" while the folks who really should know about the cells (the makers) can't seem to figure out any certainty besides the color of the cases. Or even to set up real US distribution partners, with US inventory.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 09:50   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Solar controller for LifePo4 batteries

Just as an update .

I did get the Victron 75/15 solar controller with the blue tooth dongle . I have been staying away from Victron products from a previous bad experience but this little unit works just fine . It updates itself as soon as you connect it to your phone , no intervention needed. Then went to setting it up , only took a minute to set it up to be compatible with my LifePo4 battery bank. I have two 100 watt flexible solar panels mounted on top of my bimini . The goal was not to actually charge my batteries but to keep my refrigeration system running indefinitely if I was away from the boat for any length of time , and this it does , very easily. So I never thought I would ever go to solar but this setup works and I am very pleased . Thanks for all the help on this thread .

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifepo4, solar