Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2015, 22:10   #16

Boat: Huon 33
Re: Solar Controller

Thanks ofr your comprehensive reply, whilst all this discussion is going on, my boat batteries are not charged enough to start the boat, and it is on a swing mooring. To get me out of trouble whilst I decide what to do. I have installed this cheap charge controller from the old 80w panel to the Engine battery....

12V 5A Battery Charging Regulator for Solar Panels | Solar Charge Controllers | Solar Power | Ecotech | PRODUCTS | AA0348 | Jaycar Electronics

I like your KISS principle, So I am thinking of leaving this very basic arrangement in place to just always keep the engine battery topped up, and set up the Two new 150w panels solely on the House bank..... There is definately no more room for any other panels, so now all I need to decide on is a controller for the 2 x 150W panels...... you said an MMPT would be good, but a cheap one is not worth it. What are thoughts on this one?...... it is about the maximum I would like to spend, so If it is not good enough, I wont bother with an MMPT

12V 5A Battery Charging Regulator for Solar Panels | Solar Charge Controllers | Solar Power | Ecotech | PRODUCTS | AA0348 | Jaycar Electronics

I can get one for $180 on ebay......
Gi-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 23:31   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

If your start battery is not starting the engine it probably needs replacement. It would be shame in the long term to fit the 80w panel but send its output to the start battery. It would do far more good fed into the house battery.

The 5A Jaycar controller is a "bang-bang" or "on-off" controller. It is not PWM. These are very inefficient and importantly for a start battery struggle to get the battery up to 100% even when connected for a long period of time. It is worth spending a little more money and getting a PWM controller.

I think you have copied the wrong link for the MPPT controller, but I am not a fan of cheap MPPT controllers. They have a high failure rate and don't track the the Vmp well. They often sacrifice important features like adjustable set points for a poor MPPT tracking.

There are some exceptions the Genasun range of controllers are reasonably inexpensive they have a well implemented MPPT tracking system. The set points are not user adjustable, but they are bit more sensible for a boat with a 14.6 boost voltage (although 14.4v absorption). I believe for a small extra fee you can get the factory to adjust the set points. However there largest model is only 10.5 A which does not suit your solar panel size even with multiple controllers.

It sounds like you have plenty of room for solar in which case it is better to put your money into more solar wattage rather than MPPT.

Plasmatronics make a range of well made PWM regulators and would be worth looking at.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 00:04   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Cd xx

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-04-2015, 01:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshawdvm View Post
Cd xx

Sorry but what does this mean??
Old 05-04-2015, 02:35   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

It sounds like you have plenty of room for solar in which case it is better to put your money into more solar wattage rather than MPPT.

As I stated in my previous post:

"There is definitely no more room for any other panels"

So it is making the most of the two 150 Watt panels.

You said

"It would be shame in the long term to fit the 80w panel but send its output to the start battery. It would do far more good fed into the house battery."

I am not fitting the 80W panel, it has been there for years and years..... previously connected to the batteries via a Morning star SunGuard controller, until it was destroyed by a lightning Strike.... I actually got the new panels to replace it, but then found out the panel still worked.

Lightning Strike Photos by seedydj | Photobucket

This should be the link for the MPPT;

12V/24V 30A MPPT Solar Charge Controller | Solar Charge Controllers | Solar Power | Ecotech | PRODUCTS | MP3735 | Jaycar Electronics

I think I've decided to just connect the new panels to the House batteries.... just deciding on MPPT or PWM....
Old 06-04-2015, 08:30   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gi-Lo View Post
Sorry but what does this mean??

Yeah well I was reading the thread
Got distracted for a minute and completely by accident posted gibberish
I hope no one spent time googling that!
Oops

Old 10-05-2015, 21:39   #22

Morning STAR..... you certainly are!!

So I read that the Sunguard controller was "lightning protected"..... I decided to send these pics to Morning star

Lightning Strike Slideshow by seedydj | Photobucket

to my surprise they contacted me and offered to replace the sunguard for free...... (it was over 10 years old I believe)

I thanked them very much, but advised that I had decided to upgrade to a Morningstar "Duo" controller, following the advice on this thread....... well blow me down, they offered to send me a brand new Duo for Free!!

I have it, installed works awesomely and Thanks morning star for your AWESOME customer service..... Listen up all you other Mfrs..... (that's Manufacturers {see what I did there})

Tags
solar