Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2013, 07:24   #1

Boat: Trident Voyager 35
Solar Charging Question

Hi Guys

I have just installed an eighty watt Victron blue solar solar panel with a 70/15 MPPT controller. The batteries were fully charged (2x110 amp) on the domestic side all is fine all the lights on the controller came on. Today I have turned off the battery charger so that I'm just on the solar with the fridge and the water pressure working. My battery monitor is showing 100% and volts at 14.50 which fluctuates down to 13.6 and back. With the batt charger it would maintain a float voltage at 13.8. I'm concerned that I may cook the batteries!

John
Trident voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 07:45   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Solar Charging Question

I doubt there is a problem.
The solar regulator has no way of knowing the batteries are 100% charged. It has no communication with the battery monitor.
Therefore it is trying to do an absorption cycle.
Typically this may to hold the batteries at 14.5v for a total of 1.5 hours (the handbook should tell you the exact time). Note it only counts the time at 14.5v if the voltage drops lower the clock stops.
The 80w solar panel will be able to maintain 14.5v when the fridge cycles off, but when the fridge compressor cuts in the solar power is not enough to keep the batteries at 14.5v and the voltage drops.

In other words from the information you have given I think it is operating as it should do.

Given that you started with full batteries even though its operating correctly you are probably slightly overcharging your batteries. If they are wet cells I would not worry.
If they are AGM/gel you can usually force the regulator onto float. The information should be in the handbook. If they are AGM a bigger problem is that the absorption voltage may be too high, but its fine if they are flooded, which I presume is the case.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, solar