Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2019, 20:43   #1

Solar charging installation question

I'm preparing to install a solar panel and controller. The panel is 170W, and the controller is a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15.

My boat has a 440Ah, 4 battery house bank, plus an engine battery. It has an installed AC 3 stage charger and an engine alternator for existing charging sources. It also has a Cristec battery isolator to automatically combine and charge both banks without manual intervention.

When connecting the solar controller, I could connect the positive lead to 1) the positive post of the first battery in the house bank, or 2) to the same lug on the battery isolator as the alternator. The negative lead connects to the battery monitor shunt attached to negative post of the last battery in the bank.
The positive lead will have a 20A fuse or circuit breaker close to its termination point.

I'm looking for advice on whether I should connect the controller directly to the battery, or to the isolator. I'm not that concerned about actually charging the engine battery; the solar is intended to charge the house bank. is there a right answer? Would either be acceptable?

My second question is around the coordination/cooperation of the solar controller, the shore charger and the alternator. When it is sunny, two or even all three of these charging sources could be active at the same time. Do I need to worry about that, or are all sources independently adjusting their charge cycle based on the battery voltage and they will all just work together?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Bruce
penguin6429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 22:00   #2

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Solar charging installation question

Bruce,

Running a similar setup 200 watt/ 600 AH/ Victron 75/15. Don't think exactly where you connect the feed is really important, the fuse is. Mine just connects to a positive busbar (fused).

As to how the different units play together seems to work OK. Exactly what happens depends on what state of recharging is in process. Bulk all sources just add, absorption the solar may drop out as the factory default absorption voltage is a little lower than either my alternator or charger.

One neat thing I have observed just on solar in float mode in the afternoon the current will be a couple of amps. If the frig turns on the solar will pick up the frig load and keep the current feeding the bank nearly the same. Kind of like the Victron tells the battery "I got this, you guys just keep on napping".

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 05:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bruce.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 08:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bruce.
Thanks Gordy. Long time listener, first time caller.
penguin6429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 18:17   #5

do not connect to the batttery isloator. connect to house bank

all can charge at once. as long as all have correct voltages / battery types set up.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, installation, solar