Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 00:58   #1

Boat: Ericson 35-2
Solar charge controller RFI

I have something like loud clicking noise across most frequencies on bands from MF to VHF. I believe it's my el-cheapo solar charge controller. Here is why:

1. With all consumers of electricity off, it's clicking.

2. With the battery disconnected from the controller, it's still clicking, but in a different way (slower, and with several second pauses between series).

3. With solar panels disconnected from the controller, or at night, there is no clicking at all.

The controller in question is Renogy 30 Amp PWM, Renogy 30 Amp PWM Charge Controller - SolarSyn

Should I get a new controller (which one), try to add some chokes to the output wires, or?

By the way, "Positive Ground Controller" sounds odd, doesn't it? So far I've no idea what that's all about, but my ground is negative, like everyone else's.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:34   #2

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII
Re: Solar charge controller RFI

as you have a pwm controller, the clicking is interference coming from the pulses in the charge controller..

if you are inclined you can try to reduce their magnitude into the system and their effect, or you can try another charge controller.. take a look at MPPT controllers, they will convert more of that solar power into charging current that PWM types
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:19   #3

Boat: Ericson 35-2
Re: Solar charge controller RFI

> they will convert more of that solar power into charging current that PWM types

That difference is trivial in hot/sunny conditions. Price difference isn't. All else being equal, MPPT produces more radio interference. Some of these things have much better built-in RFI suppression than others. This is what I "know" in theory.

How does this apply in practice to a 20-30 amp rig that's basically asked to run a fridge and not much more than that down south is what I need to figure out. What I have from P.O. is actually good enough, except this RFI issue.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar