Originally Posted by kbudd
Thanks much. Exactly the information I need.
You're very welcome! Please give us an update on how you like/dislike it when you get it, or if it ever fails, please post up! I've recommended this unit to quite a few people and all of the input so far has been from me. I'd welcome thoughts from others good or bad, just to get info from someone besides just myself.
Also, go to your battery
mfr's website and check what the recommended bulk charging voltage is. A lot of times, it's somewhat higher than most chargers are set for and most people think. A lot of people are out there with their batteries charged up to 14 or 14.4v and they think they're fully charged, when the mfr recommends 14.9 or 15.2v or something like that. In essence, they're not charging to 100% and discharging to 50%, they're only charging to 80% and leaving 20% unused, which is actually 40% of usable capacity. I adjusted my solar controller bulk charge voltage up to the mfr's recommended, and started seeing voltages like 13.6v at midnight, after drawing 20 amps ever since sundown. Even with heavy furnace usage in the winter, my batteries were barely discharged by morning, when the solar started recharging again. I've got 475 watts of solar panels
on an RV and even though I use a lot of power (inverter on 24/7, powering 3 TVs, 2 DVRs, large suround sound stereo, charging power tool batteries, lights, large fans, etc) my batteries would end up fully charged by 930 or 10 am even in the winter, with the sun low in the sky and the solar system producing 1/2 of it's rated power. I ended up with so much excess power, I bought a 40 lb/day ice maker that runs off my inverter
. I start it up at breakfast and shut it down at sundown, by then it's made about 22-25 lbs of ice. The only time I start the genny is when I'm running the microwave or A/C.
Just something to think about, if you choose to add 1 or 2 more panels