Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2014, 00:45   #16

Re: Solar and Wind generators

That seems to be the problem with wind generators. The cheap ones are junk, the good ones are so expensive that solar is much more attractive per watt, and totally silent. I've seen videos of fairly quiet wind generators, but none of them are totally silent. If one is limited for space and still needs more power, I guess a wind gen is a natural choice.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 01:09   #17

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacottage View Post
You are talking nonsense. There is no sun at night. The combination of solar and wind works marvels for me.

You don't have to believe me, but maybe you shouldn't ignore Practical Sailor-

The long-term test (Nov. 15, 1995) evaluated several different wind generators, one at a time, over several weeks and monitored output. Ultimately, Practical Sailor concluded that although wind generators are effective at producing high output in ideal conditions, their output in the winds you can expect in a comfortable harbor is less than stellar when averaged over the long haul. Only one generator in that test, the Wind Baron Neo Plus (no longer available, as far as we know) delivered more than 100 amp hours over 24 hours, and none had an average daily output greater than 10 amp hours, which is less than can be expected from one 80-watt solar panel on a moderately sunny day.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 02:30   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Now she is further south she is more dependant on the solar.
Actually solar panels do well up Norf as well. We are 50' North and the panels keep the batteries topped up during the winter months very nicely. During the long summer days however, 180w of panels keeps us in sufficient power so we don't need to run the engine at all. Even sold the genny as it just wasn't being used.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 02:45   #19

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
You don't have to believe me, but maybe you shouldn't ignore Practical Sailor-

The long-term test (Nov. 15, 1995) evaluated several different wind generators, one at a time, over several weeks and monitored output. Ultimately, Practical Sailor concluded that although wind generators are effective at producing high output in ideal conditions, their output in the winds you can expect in a comfortable harbor is less than stellar when averaged over the long haul. Only one generator in that test, the Wind Baron Neo Plus (no longer available, as far as we know) delivered more than 100 amp hours over 24 hours, and none had an average daily output greater than 10 amp hours, which is less than can be expected from one 80-watt solar panel on a moderately sunny day.

That's a pretty specific criteria for testing... i.e. I read "the winds you can expect in a comfortable harbour" as meaning effectively sitting at anchor (or in your pen). I accept that this is a major part of some people's boating itinerary, but for the more restless sort (like me) who are always on the move when on their boats, the wind speed over the deck is often a lot higher. It is rare that I don't see 15 knots apparent, and thus the wind generator is very effective.

I think the combination of wind and solar is ideal if the budget permits, though I take the point that many installations are hampered by the wind generator shadowing the solar panels. A bit of a pain but very hard to avoid, particularly on a monohull.

Matt
Old 22-12-2014, 02:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Actually solar panels do well up Norf as well. We are 50' North and the panels keep the batteries topped up during the winter months very nicely. During the long summer days however, 180w of panels keeps us in sufficient power so we don't need to run the engine at all. Even sold the genny as it just wasn't being used.

Pete
Yes, I guess I should say, as you move away from the trade winds, or equivalent. Good to hear panels still work well at 50 degrees from the equator, I am planning to head down to Tasmania next year, and that's only 42 degrees South. Mind you, no shortage of wind down there.

Matt
Old 22-12-2014, 12:20   #21

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacottage View Post
You are talking nonsense. There is no sun at night. The combination of solar and wind works marvels for me.
Of course there's still a sun at night. It's just sleeping.

Seriously, though, many, many people find they can get all the power they need from solar and at a reasonable cost.

Many people find the output from wind to be disappointing because you need at least 15 knots to start getting any input, it's expensive, and it's noisy. It also tends to shade the solar.

You may be in one of the parts of the world that gets lots of wind all the time, or you might not have enough solar, but it certainly isn't nonsense to caution that wind is often not the best choice.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 17:19   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

From what I could tell, most wind gens are noisier than a well installed Diesel Gen set. At .2 GPH, I can run the little generator for a long time, I'm going Solar and Diesel for when the Solar falls short.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 23:30   #23

Boat: Coronet Oceanfarer30

Further to my earlier posting re cheap Chinese wind generators.

The manufacturer responded today with a comment that left me speechless! It stated and I quote: " because you selected a 12v rating the charger will only start to produce significant current once the battery voltage falls below 12vdc"

This is totally incorrect and for anyone interested in wind power a wind generator has to produce 16 to 20 volt at 250 to 400 rpm to make any significant difference.
13.8 volt is acceptable for long term charging and 14.4 volt is a good quick charge or boost value.

Now I didn't think this info was a secret but aparantly our Asian cousins are not aware that 12v does not mean 12 volt in the West hence all the complaints on line regarding poor performing Chinese wind turbines!

The wierd thing is that the turbine is very well built from a physical aspect with brass lined mounting holes stainless fittings etc but electrically it does not cut it.

I'm considering having the coils rewound in a lighter gauge to produce the standard voltage and reduce the capacity from 400 Watt to half that if needs be.

Any comments are welcome and it would seem that by the end of it all the cost of the rewind etc will approach what a decent Rutland would have been anyway. The moral of the storey is you get what you pay for!

I'm just trying to make cordial out of a lemon here...

PS I have a new 400Ah battery bank that has never been below 12.2V since new mainly thanks to a 200w Solar panel producing 10A when the sun shines brightly.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ironman162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 00:34   #24

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

In my experience I like both wind an solar, they compliment each other. I sell silentwind units because I believe they are the best currently available. Low start up speeds, and will actually produce their rated outputs. Very quiet as well, it is rare to be able to hear our unit from another boat. Just my opinion, after using wind gens (3 different units) for years, and over 40,000 miles. Check out my site if your interested.
Old 26-12-2014, 00:46   #25

Thanks for your comment I will definitely look it up. Silentwind is rated amongst the best according to my research along with Ampair but appeared to be very expensive at the time I bought the $500 cheapie Chinese job.
Looking back if I could do it over I would definitely do things differently and buy the upmarket product if it performs to expectation!

You must admit the "Watt for Dollar" figure is questionable. At present I get about 50 watt for $500 giving a multiplier of 10 while a Rutland 910i will produce 100w for $1300 giving a 13 multiplier and so on...

Interesting hey?

Old 26-12-2014, 02:05   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
In my experience I like both wind an solar, they compliment each other.
Exactly!

Don't let a cheap Chinese product put you off the concept. A good wind generator is both quiet, and effective. In our marina I can point to a dozen good wind generators that are managing the boat electrics unaided by solar, and a dozen more that are screaming banshees that would have me vaguely homicidal in days if I lived next to them.

I was lucky in that our boat came with a good (silent) wind generator, and adding effective solar was cheap. I look forward to making both earn their keep.

Matt
Old 26-12-2014, 02:33   #27

Hi Matt, that's great! I think you hit it right on there a good wind generator will be relatively quiet and effective! You achieved it sooner than me
It is indeed a good concept to have a solar/wind combination but as you can see we do male mistakes along the way and then try to rectify it at great cost. The things we do hey!"

Old 26-12-2014, 07:05   #28

Boat: Working On Getting one

Hi everyone I just wanted to say thank y'all for all the post. They have been really helpful. I have been looking at these post and thinking to my self that I really don't have any idea what I'm doing at all when it come to sailboats. I'm trying to learn all that I can before My family and I make the jump to a liquid life.
Old 26-12-2014, 07:23   #29

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

A wind generator is a significant install. You need sturdy pole to mount it on, good size wiring with good connections, etc. Its not a trivial install from a cost and time perspective. My point is, if you are going to spend all that time and money doing the install right, then you might as well put the best wind generator on.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Silentwind wind generator. Over the last few cloudy days with the wind blowing 10-15 knots we are completely power steady... we are not using more power than we are generating and because its been cloudy, the generator has been our main charger.

When on sailing angle other than a run, the wind gen puts out lots and lots of power, so we can run all our stuff all day and not worry about power.

But...on most days the wind generator shades the panels, which overall put out way way more power in amps.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 09:35   #30

Boat: Working On Getting one

Thanks everyone for the replies. They were helpful to the point that I be leave that a hybrid would be the best way to go.

Tags
generator, solar, wind, wind generator