Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-06-2014, 09:42   #16

Boat: Ericson 27
Re: Solar and AGM'S

I used a Rogue Power Tech MMPT charge controller in my RV, but they're suitable for marine applications as well. Definitely on the higher end of charge controllers, but it should extend the life of the battery by using more advanced charging algorithms. The only problem I had was when I drained my battery WAY too low and threw a fault once the voltage got too low to even power the charge controller. Oops.

Rogue Power Technologies - MPT-3048 30A MPPT Charge Controller

Plus it's made in the USA!

Old 24-06-2014, 18:14   #17
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinglegend View Post

If you ask someone the time you don't want a long lecture on why haven't you got a watch, and which is the best watch to buy. What ????????????????

Please everyone offer useful feedback, not feedback based on ignorance.

--------------------
Ignorance isn't what you don't know, it's what you think you know that is incorrect.
I'm pretty sure I answered the original question in post #2 in very short words. Wasn't me that wanted to go all expert!

Old 24-06-2014, 19:05   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I suggest you spend an hour or so reading Handy Bob's stuff. He has a lot to say about living off-grid. https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/

Marinebeam Replacement LED bulbs for your existing boat fixtures (read the LED IDIOT's GUIDE & other tech page stuff) or Marine Lighting - Boat Lights - Yacht Lights - Imtra PWM current regulated LED lights
An hour would be lucky - That guy is not conservative with words and has some serious axes to grind - You gotta mine for the nuggets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinglegend View Post
Why so many negative posts when the OP was asking for help with the AGMs he already has?

If you ask someone the time you don't want a long lecture on why haven't you got a watch, and which is the best watch to buy.
No need for a watch. Sundial, sextant, lead line for sounding and whale fat lamps, hard tack provisions and if you know how to trim sails the boat will stay on course indefinitely so no need for autosteering. Anyone who uses anything else is unseamanlike -
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 20:40   #19

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
An hour would be lucky - That guy is not conservative with words and has some serious axes to grind - You gotta mine for the nuggets...
Yes... I have read all his stuff and its gibberish from the 90's. Is this guy still kicking? I mean I feel like I should be pulling out my powder loader when I read his stuff. Tech has come a long way since PWM chargers were the state-of-the-art.

I think its a legitimate question since people keep extolling the advantage of AGM over Flooded but very few come to the table with anything close to calculations or real test data comparing X to Y.

I do believe in Lithium. Once that drops to $3 per amp hour I will gladly invest.
Old 24-06-2014, 21:32   #20

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Lifeline AGMs in year 6. No problems and NO SPILLS, no water etc.
Old 24-06-2014, 23:13   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Yes... I have read all his stuff and its gibberish from the 90's. Is this guy still kicking? I mean I feel like I should be pulling out my powder loader when I read his stuff. Tech has come a long way since PWM chargers were the state-of-the-art.

He has too many locked in paradigms to make him useful for deciding on equipment.

His best stuff is in troubleshooting why performance may be lower than expected - shading, installation compromises etc.

And really everyone (including me) starts at the wrong end of the question when getting into solar.

Everyone starts with - "What Solar Panels Should I Buy?"

A better question is - "How do I make 150 amps per day with solar power?"
Old 25-06-2014, 05:52   #22

I suppose that a lot of what he writes is OK but he drones on with huge run-on sentences and massive paragraphs that makes it very had to fathom the concepts he is writing about. Also, he does not back any of his material with facts and formulas, at least none that I have been able to find on his site.

One of the big issues in using him as a reference is that his installations are fixed. Someone pulls in their RV and sets his panels up so that they are at the right angle and facing the right direction to start collecting very useful power very early in the day and into sunset. He does not not have to worry about rigging, the boat changing directions, sails, etc. Lets not forget about the space differences between the two types of vehicles we are discussing.
Old 25-06-2014, 06:41   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

And repeats himself.
And repeats himself.
Oh, that wasn't him...
Old 03-07-2014, 18:57   #24

I'll go one more time?

That was weird in a kinda karma type way.
Old 12-07-2014, 00:46   #25

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Hi,

I'm in the same boat as the OP (pardon the pun). I've got four 130ah wet cell batteries and a 120 ah reserve. Two 80 amp solar panels. I have a blue seas ARC for charging the 4 house and 1 reserve. Works a treat.

But, I've had a problem with a number of the house batteries leaking in the sealed battery box. I recently cleaned them up and put them on an empty bunk with some plastic under it whilst I re painted under the battery box and today I discovered they leaked. The sides of the four are bulging out too.

So, I've decided to replace he four house batteries with AGM batteries. My question is, can I keep the one wet acid reserve battery and charge the four new AGM and the wet reserve with the ARC? Or am I better to get five AGM and use one as a reserve?
Old 12-07-2014, 16:35   #26

Wow Ted - what kind of batteries were leaking?
Old 12-07-2014, 16:44   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Wow Ted - what kind of batteries were leaking?
There called 'US Battery' and have a picture of the Stars and Stripes on them. They were on the boat when I brought it along with two dead battery's. One dead one was connected and another was just sitting there but not connected.
Old 12-07-2014, 17:50   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
Hi,

I'm in the same boat as the OP (pardon the pun). I've got four 130ah wet cell batteries and a 120 ah reserve. Two 80 amp solar panels. I have a blue seas ARC for charging the 4 house and 1 reserve. Works a treat.
Ted - Not sure anyone is answering your question. You say the ARC is charging the house "and" the reserve but I suspect that is not what you meant.

I presume you have a solar controller and I presume you have a "stock" regulator on the engine alternator.

Long story short - All charging systems should supply your "new" house side and the ARC can take care of the reserve battery.

The wet and AGM technically should have different charge profiles but if the reserve is only used for engine start this will be an inconsequential matter.

As you know all the ARC basically does is parallel in the battery system and "expose" both banks to the charging system regardless of battery switch position. The same effect is achieved by switching to "ALL" assuming you have a 1-2-all switch.

If you regularly deplete the reserve battery you may reconsider later say when you eventually replace the last battery - In the meantime you will have to remember to periodically service the last wet battery.

disclaimer part - I am a "set and forget" kinda guy and for me AGM works. Others will disagree and depending on how the system is used there may be "better" set ups. If it were my boat bucks and I had an off boat use for the last battery I'd do all 5 but again I don't see a big deal with your proposal and I can't spend your boat bucks for you...
Old 13-07-2014, 01:07   #29

Umm, thanks, you lost me a little bit though. I think your saying if I purchase four new AGM for the house, then I can still keep the reserve and the ARC will handle the charging okay?
Old 13-07-2014, 04:01   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
Umm, thanks, you lost me a little bit though. I think your saying if I purchase four new AGM for the house, then I can still keep the reserve and the ARC will handle the charging okay?
Yes - I was trying to dig a little on how you have the charging system set up in case there were are hidden "snake" anywhere.

But 4 new AGM for house and keeping the wet reserve/start batt should work fine.

Tags
agm, solar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: