Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2013, 12:04   #46
Wayfaring Mariner
 
captain58sailin's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Homer, AK is my home port
Boat: Skookum 53'
Posts: 4,045
Images: 5
Re: So who has tinned battery and other equally fat cables all tinned?

I found plenty of tinned wire on Ebay. I've found lots of the old wiring on my boat that was black with corrosion.
__________________

__________________
" Wisdom; is your reward for surviving your mistakes"
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 12:15   #47
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 1,699
Re: So who has tinned battery and other equally fat cables all tinned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
hmmm... are you saying there is no voltage drop in a length of wire?

if there is no load, the voltage will be the same. even in the crapyist corroded wire.
__________________

__________________
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 13:42   #48
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,450
Re: So who has tinned battery and other equally fat cables all tinned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
hmmm... are you saying there is no voltage drop in a length of wire?
Yes, in the case postulated (no load at all):

E (voltage drop in this case)=I (current) times R (resistance)

If I=zero then no matter how high R is, E also equals zero

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 13:44   #49
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,359
Re: So who has tinned battery and other equally fat cables all tinned?

well, i guess my point was, corrosion between the wire and the end terminal results in poor transfer, poor transfer usually ends up as heat, heat=energy. So in effect there is a "load". Obviously you need a ground. I guess what you are saying is measure the voltage at the battery terminal and at the other end with the appliance on and the voltage drop is the wire/terminal loss?
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 10:09   #50
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: South Carolina
Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom
Posts: 395
Re: So who has tinned battery and other equally fat cables all tinned?

Some are tempted to use "fat" welding cable due to the low cost, availability and flexibility. In a salt water environment, welding cable can rot away in less than 1 year. Without the protection from tinning, and due to the wicking effect and extreme surface area of the smaller strands they are useless on a boat.
__________________
Andina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 18:44   #51
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
well, i guess my point was, corrosion between the wire and the end terminal results in poor transfer, poor transfer usually ends up as heat, heat=energy. So in effect there is a "load". Obviously you need a ground. I guess what you are saying is measure the voltage at the battery terminal and at the other end with the appliance on and the voltage drop is the wire/terminal loss?
Sorry cheeckho , what you recommended isnt a test. , its just wrong I'm afraid. Voltage drop can only be measured under expected operating loads , voltage drop in itself isn't a measure of bad terminals.

Or else just do resistance checks.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 18:46   #52
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andina Marie View Post
Some are tempted to use "fat" welding cable due to the low cost, availability and flexibility. In a salt water environment, welding cable can rot away in less than 1 year. Without the protection from tinning, and due to the wicking effect and extreme surface area of the smaller strands they are useless on a boat.
You may be right , but I've just done work on a friends 20 year old welding cable connected starter , wasnt anything wrong with the cable I could see.

I've never ever seen tinned starter cables this side of the pond , ever never

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:27   #53
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,359
Re: So who has tinned battery and other equally fat cables all tinned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Sorry cheeckho , what you recommended isnt a test. , its just wrong I'm afraid. Voltage drop can only be measured under expected operating loads , voltage drop in itself isn't a measure of bad terminals.

Or else just do resistance checks.

Dave
Yeah, I guess I got that wrong. The brain is thinking measuring resistance and mouth isnt! I stand corrected.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:30   #54
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,359
Re: So who has tinned battery and other equally fat cables all tinned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
You may be right , but I've just done work on a friends 20 year old welding cable connected starter , wasnt anything wrong with the cable I could see.

I've never ever seen tinned starter cables this side of the pond , ever never

Dave
Welding cable is great stuff. especially in areas like going to your engine or where flexibility is nice. Small strand, high quality. Seen it used many times on boats. It was on the old trawler I had in Fl and there were no apparant issues with it. Looked like it had been on there forever. Same precautions as other non tinned cable though, seal the ends!
__________________

__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.