Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, aerovest1.
Sounds like you may have let the “magic smoke” out.
Smoke is frequently observed to come out of electrical/electronic components when overheated, often through exposure to an extreme current
, usually caused by a low-resistance failure or the application of excess voltage.
Manufacturers such as Lucas (the inventer of the short circuit), put a portion of magic smoke into every electronic component, and the device functions normally so long as the smoke does not escape.
Once the magic smoke has been released, the device lacks one or more key components and no longer functions correctly.
The smoke thus can be thought of as an essential part in the device's function.
It is also noted that once let out, the magic smoke generally cannot be put back in.