Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2015, 19:53   #1

Smarter Tools 2000 watt generator at Costco

If you haven't seen one of these yet, they look very much like the Honda 2000, it's even red. The engine is built by Yamaha and it's rated at exactly the same 1600w continuous/2000w as the Honda, except it's slightly quieter at idle and under load, and it's a lot cheaper at only $600.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 21:13   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Smarter Tools 2000 watt generator at Costco

I own a generator import company..

First.. Yamaha no longer builds engines.. All Yamaha small engines are built by Linhai (look it up). Many of the small engines made by Linhai are also used in a variety of products from snow blowers, rotor tillers, pumps and a generator our company imports. You do have to be careful though as those engines have also been copied by countless other Chinese companies and the quality is sub standard. I'm guessing since Costco has it listed on thier website that it is a genuine Linhai/Yamaha motor.

Here is my advice based on experience with our products. Based on the pictures, it is very similar (but smaller) than a generator we import. It appears to be designed wiht the RV market in mind.

A couple of issues right off the bat are the switches (smart throttle and on-off). They are standard off the shelf indoor switches. I would bet they will not last a month in a marine environment, two max. Most likely the same issue with the electrical outlets. The coatings on the metal contacts simply aren't designed for marine environment. Of course you could work around these issues if you are willing to replace those items.

Finally, I know nothing about that brand but.... Many of the Chinese brands have issues with the electronics. If anything is going to die, it will be 1 of 3 things, 1. Inverter 2. Control Board 3. CDI module. Its never the engines. In the 7000 generators our company has sold, we have had only 1 engine failure.

Personally... For the difference in price, I would rather buy the Honda and have something I know will work with a good resale value.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 21:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
If you haven't seen one of these yet, they look very much like the Honda 2000, it's even red. The engine is built by Yamaha and it's rated at exactly the same 1600w continuous/2000w as the Honda, except it's slightly quieter at idle and under load, and it's a lot cheaper at only $600.
Not as good as a Honda....as they claim.

This Costco generator won't start the 1.0Hp motor used on our water makers....while the Honda EU2000i does it with ease.

Some generators are more equal than others. Buyer Beware!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 09:33   #4

And...

that's that.
Old 15-01-2015, 11:52   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I own a generator import company..

First.. Yamaha no longer builds engines.. All Yamaha small engines are built by Linhai (look it up). Many of the small engines made by Linhai are also used in a variety of products from snow blowers, rotor tillers, pumps and a generator our company imports. You do have to be careful though as those engines have also been copied by countless other Chinese companies and the quality is sub standard. I'm guessing since Costco has it listed on thier website that it is a genuine Linhai/Yamaha motor.

Here is my advice based on experience with our products. Based on the pictures, it is very similar (but smaller) than a generator we import. It appears to be designed wiht the RV market in mind.

A couple of issues right off the bat are the switches (smart throttle and on-off). They are standard off the shelf indoor switches. I would bet they will not last a month in a marine environment, two max. Most likely the same issue with the electrical outlets. The coatings on the metal contacts simply aren't designed for marine environment. Of course you could work around these issues if you are willing to replace those items.

Finally, I know nothing about that brand but.... Many of the Chinese brands have issues with the electronics. If anything is going to die, it will be 1 of 3 things, 1. Inverter 2. Control Board 3. CDI module. Its never the engines. In the 7000 generators our company has sold, we have had only 1 engine failure.

Personally... For the difference in price, I would rather buy the Honda and have something I know will work with a good resale value.
You have that right. If it is made in china good luck in getting parts.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 13:15   #6

Since it's sold by Costco, just drop it off and get a new one, or a full refund if you don't like it.
Old 15-01-2015, 14:09   #7

So it seems as if nobody actually has experience with this one.

For the price, which is about what, 50-60% of the cost of a Honda, it may be a pretty good deal.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 15:49   #8

Boat: Scout 30

Has anybody checked out the Rigid 3600 at Home Depot? It has a Subaru engine & is half the price of the Honda 2000. I wonder if that's a Japanese engine made in China. Ryobi also has a small generator.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 16:54   #9

Boat: csy 37

I'm about as cheap as they come. But there are certain things I will pay for even when the price is double. Things I may HAVE to depend on in some god forsaken beautiful anchorage far from help come to mind.

Theres a good reason why cruisers buy Honda portable generators. OTOH, if you plan on crusing within walking distance of a Harbor Freight Tools store, they have a little gen for under $100. An anchor out liveaboard here bought one with the $35 additional warranty and replaced it a couple of times. But he never went anywhere.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 15:14   #10

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Home Depot also sells a 2,200 watt Ryobi for $599.
Honda is the gold standard, but someone will catch up with them someday.
Old 16-01-2015, 15:27   #11

Being cheap often does not pay. Probably more so if you are not in walking distance of buying a replacement. I wouldn't by a thing from Harbor Freight unless it was a well known product.
Old 16-01-2015, 15:32   #12

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
Home Depot also sells a 2,200 watt Ryobi for $599.
Honda is the gold standard, but someone will catch up with them someday.
Honda is the gold standard for sure. People will hate your guts less in the anchorage if you buy one of these.

That Ryobi sounds like a leaf blower running under a load. It is more like the turd standard of generators.....
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 19:48   #13

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Being cheap often does not pay. Probably more so if you are not in walking distance of buying a replacement. I wouldn't by a thing from Harbor Freight unless it was a well known product.
To the best of my knowledge, Harbor Freight does not carry well known products. Still, Harbor Freight can be useful.

I once had to sand twenty years of accumulated hard bottom paint off my boat. I didnt want to buy, and possibly ruin, a quality 7" rotary sander. So I bought the $40 one from HFT. It lasted 5 full days before it got so clogged up it wouldnt run. So I hosed it off, exchanged it for a new one for free, and finished the job. I left it at the boatyard. Better a $40 throwaway than ruining a $200 quality sander.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 08:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
To the best of my knowledge, Harbor Freight does not carry well known products. Still, Harbor Freight can be useful.

I once had to sand twenty years of accumulated hard bottom paint off my boat. I didnt want to buy, and possibly ruin, a quality 7" rotary sander. So I bought the $40 one from HFT. It lasted 5 full days before it got so clogged up it wouldnt run. So I hosed it off, exchanged it for a new one for free, and finished the job. I left it at the boatyard. Better a $40 throwaway than ruining a $200 quality sander.
Good for your, well thought out. I said often and walking distance to HFT.

I wouldn't buy a generator if heading for the South Pacific from them if an off brand.
Old 17-01-2015, 09:29   #15

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post

Actually as a business owner, I find this a little disappointing. Its obvious you knew you were going to kill that sander. Personally I think it was dishonest to take it back and expect warranty. You should have just purchased another one (still less than 1/2 the cost of a $200 quality sander).

Ya, you will argue that HF is huge and $40 won't kill them, or they shouldn't have a policy like that if they don't expect the customer to use it. Not the point, the fist sander obviously exceeded your expectations.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator