Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-10-2006, 07:11   #1

Boat: now floating easy37
smart regulators

given that these can regulate a large amount of charge from solar panels why would it be a bad idea to run the charge coming from 2 9.9 into it to gain the advantages that these regulators give your batteries
sean

Old 11-10-2006, 10:13   #2

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Please rephrase the question in more specific terms.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:40   #3

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
External "smart" regulators are designed to work with hi-output alternators. If used with the typical "automotive" style alternator, they will eventually burn up the alternator.

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:37   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sean, what PB is alluding to is that most "automotive" alternators (and I'd guess your outboard regulators too) are designed to run at a fraction of their rated power. The internal regulator cuts back very quickly to a low charging rate, and each design (there are dozens, each IS different) has different amounts of brains.

A smart regulator is usually designed to run the alternator at full output for a significant time--so unless the alternator, or regulator, has a heat sensor that will keep the alternator running cool, you may burn it out. If the alternator is robustly built, well cooled, well designed...sure, it might work. I'm just not sure that a 9.9's alternator really is going to meet any of those goals.<G> Time to contact the maker & ask them.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:52   #5

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
IF that is the question....

Most two-cycle outboard engines, 9.9 hp and below, use simple pickup coils, one diode, and the rotating magnets on the engine rotor to generate voltage. Regulating these "lighting coils" (which is what they were designed to do...drive running lights and not really charge batteries) require shunt regulators. Most solar panel regulators are series regulators. If you use a series regulator on the output of a lighting coil the diode may get destroyed by BEMF unless you wire in a small shunt load, like a 14V light bulb (O.K. a "12V" bulb that will survive up to 16V).

You may have to de-rate the output power rating of a solar series regulator to use with the lighting coil output due to the higher pulse currents delivered on a continuous power rating basis (like use a 100-plus Watt rated regulator on a 50W rated outboard coil).

I don't know about the 4-cycle 9.9 dc outputs, whether or not the manufacturers have actually put in the expense of a real alternator...any comments?
Old 13-10-2006, 04:51   #6

thanks for the replys, i was basically wanting to get the most out of my motors when i run them and wondered why other people didnt do this i wasnt aware of any reasons but i was sure there must be some
sean
Old 13-10-2006, 11:45   #7

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
I am certainly no expert, but I doubt that your 9.9 engines put out so much power that your house batteries need any protection. Any regulation will cut back the power and drain the wallet. I would go direct and monitor your voltage meter for quite a while before worrying about it.

Do you know your amp-hour output?
Old 13-10-2006, 16:48   #8

8 per motor apparently
sean
Old 14-10-2006, 05:45   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Most small outboard (manual start models) engine Lighting Supplies (under flywheel mount) generally provide un-regulated 12V A.C. current, which requires either a regulator for lighting, or charging rectifier kit for D.C. battery charging.
Do not try to recharge your battery with an AC Lighting Coil!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: