Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 02:15   #61

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Smart Plug -- Wow!

See also:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/i...g_a_smart_plug
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 13:11   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
The feature was removed for the marine market. There is an ABYC requirement that any mains safety device that removes power from a circuit requires manual intervention to restore power. The automatic thermal switch was deemed not compliant.

My opinion is that the ABYC requirement is a bit foolish in this case. And a significant safety feature had to be scrapped because of it. In this case it is simple to ensure that the mains is safely disconnected merely by unplugging the cord. That should be SOP for any electrical work anyway.
I have an original 30A SmartPlug that I purchased several years ago that I am very happy with! Sure, the original plug wasn't as robust but SmartPlug has stood behind their product well beyond any warranty and provided me with replacement parts and an upgraded plug when my original one failed due to the less than robust strain relief design. I'm even more pleased with the new version which seems to be beefier in all respects with much better and more robust strain relief and screw terminals inside the plug.

My unit has the built-in thermal breaker on the inlet and I'm bummed to read that this safety device has been removed. That said, I understand the reasoning behind the ABYC rules against a self resetting breaker.

May I suggest considering a thermal breaker with a reset button inside the center of the inlet in between the pins. The plug could have a small recess in the center to allow the breaker pin to pop up. If the thermal breaker pops power would remain off. The user would need to unplug the shore power cord and would have a visual indicator inside the inlet to check as the possible cause for the loss of power. Pushing the breaker in would reset it and you would have ABYC compliance and I think an even better product.
Old 04-01-2019, 13:52   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

That is the old site and it won't allow for re-directs...

The current article is here:
https://marinehowto.com/shore-power-...tplug-vs-1938/

Old 04-01-2019, 14:17   #64
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
That is the old site and it won't allow for re-directs
How about stripping each page down to a simple templated page, in the center a nice big

This content has been moved to my new site - [click here].

The new site's Home page is [here].

Please stop linking to this old location, update your bookmarks to the new site!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 16:17   #65

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I like our smart plug but I think the side clips are a lot less robust than they need to be. On ours, you really need to push hard to be sure you have a positive lock. We are on our second one when a guest stepped down hard on the plug causing the pin that acts like a hinge to deform the plastic that it is inset in.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 16:53   #66

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
This is wrong information. Install the male smart plug on the boat inlet and the female end on the boat end of the shore cord. The marina end of the cord can stay the same. Most boat fires started by the shore cord do so at the boat end not the marina end.
What is your source for saying "most fires started by the shore power cord do so at the boat end not the marina end."??

You are the one who referenced Mainsails site that addresses this aspect, and I'll listen to him, this is his area of expertise. He illustrated the dockside fire risk issue with the example of the NC McCotter Marina fire that is suspected to have been the dockside receptacle fire source.

Yes, I know how the Smartplug goes together. The point I was trying to make was that the fire risk safety issue is not 100% solved by the Smartplug, in that there is still the risk of fire at the dockside power point which are all the old 1938 tiny contact area "standard" that Mainsail discussed and illustrated so well.

When Smartplug or anybody else succeeds in providing an approved and acceptable dockside female receptacle that addresses the fire risk and that marinas can implement, then we'll have the other significant aspect of the fire risk covered.

That was my point, poorly worded as it was.

Presumably then Smartplug will offer an adaptor for the male end of their shorepower cord that plugs into the new, large contact area Smartplug marina dockside receptacle, or as is, the existing tiny contact area, 1938 antiquated and unsafe one.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 17:32   #67

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
What is your source for saying "most fires started by the shore power cord do so at the boat end not the marina end."??

You are the one who referenced Mainsails site that addresses this aspect, and I'll listen to him, this is his area of expertise. He illustrated the dockside fire risk issue with the example of the NC McCotter Marina fire that is suspected to have been the dockside receptacle fire source.

Dock side connectors are required by code to be mounted in non-flammable boxes (usually steel). Docks are usually annually inspected by authorities (fire department or other code enforcement). Dock electrical boxes are supposed to be mounted well away from flammable materials. At least in the US this is generally required.

Boat side connectors are usually mounted directly on a highly flammable surface (fiberglass). Doesn’t take a genius to assess the relative risk is much higher at the boat.

My credentials aren’t going to be discussed here since my professional work isn’t related to this forum. But I have personally seen several boats burned by shore connectors but never a marina. Based on observation I guess the risk is 5-10 times greater at the boat compared to the dock. Maybe as high as 100 times if I think back on all the boat fires I have read about.

But for goodness sake don’t listen to me.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 18:16   #68

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

I certainly don't disagree that the ship side connection is the higher risk, it obviously is, and I would agree, by a wide margin.

But the risk outlined by Mainsail is also present with the possibility of poor dockside connection with the existing system that has very low contact surface area.

Is that risk insignificant? I don't know, I could not find any reference to data that shows it has been studied, or case studies on marina fire causation. Hence my enquiring if you have a source for that information. I did not mean to devalue your personal experience, I'm sorry you took it that way.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 19:05   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
That is the old site and it won't allow for re-directs...

The current article is here:
https://marinehowto.com/shore-power-...tplug-vs-1938/

Everyone should read this article, which is one of MaineSail's outstanding contributions to our community

Truly, those Hubbell/Marinco connectors are horrible carp which ought to be banned. Those things have almost burned boats of mine down a few times and I will never have one on board again.

Fortunately, we don't use these for the shore side in Europe. We use the vastly superior IEC 6039 blue plugs. But European boat builders continue to put the Hubbell/Marinco connectors on the boat side
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:47   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Everyone should read this article, which is one of MaineSail's outstanding contributions to our community

I would also encourage everyone to make a donation or purchase goods from Mainesail, like his excellent butyl tape.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 19:30   #71

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Recently purchased and installed the Smart Plug end and receptacle kit. Was really impressed with the product and like how the wire connectors use an allen wrench so you can ensure a good contact. Used No-ox-id on the wires during installation. Also noticed that the plug end came from the factory packed with some sort of grease. Would be interesting to know what they selected and if it's the same as No-ox-id. Been using for a month and no more melting plastic. Plugs are always ambient.

Walked the marina and notice a small percentage had switched to the Smart Plug. Was surprised at how few considering how unreliable the twist lock plugs are.

Highly recommend this product.
Brezent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 20:03   #72

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Forgot to confirm, as others have posted, that the mounting screws for the Smart Plug do not line up with the screw holes for the Marinco receptacle that mounts on the boat. Had to mix up some epoxy so I could fill the old holes and drill new ones. Typically I use the West System pumps, but that would be a huge waste. The instructions give the ratios so you can make a small batch by weighing Part A and Part B. Worked good for me!
Brezent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 09:40   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Yep. Just installed mine. Will sleep better at night. Attachment 182866
What's that accompanying picture?
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 10:30   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdomb View Post
What's that accompanying picture?
That is the Smartplug receptacle with cord connected.

The shiny part is the cover over the receptacle installed on the boat. When not in use it folds down to cover the receptacle. When you plug in the shore power cord (that is the orange part) the opened cover also connects with the back of the orange plug to help hold it in place.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 12:09   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatkins View Post
Original posted on 04-01-2019, 14:11:

I have an original 30A SmartPlug that I purchased several years ago that I am very happy with! Sure, the original plug wasn't as robust but SmartPlug has stood behind their product well beyond any warranty and provided me with replacement parts and an upgraded plug when my original one failed due to the less than robust strain relief design. I'm even more pleased with the new version which seems to be beefier in all respects with much better and more robust strain relief and screw terminals inside the plug.

My unit has the built-in thermal breaker on the inlet and I'm bummed to read that this safety device has been removed. That said, I understand the reasoning behind the ABYC rules against a self resetting breaker.

May I suggest considering a thermal breaker with a reset button inside the center of the inlet in between the pins. The plug could have a small recess in the center to allow the breaker pin to pop up. If the thermal breaker pops power would remain off. The user would need to unplug the shore power cord and would have a visual indicator inside the inlet to check as the possible cause for the loss of power. Pushing the breaker in would reset it and you would have ABYC compliance and I think an even better product.
I ended up regretting the above post in a major way. On Feb 15th, 2020 I lost my boat to an electrical fire. I had personally installed the Smartplug on my boat about 6.5 years earlier and the receptacle externally showed absolutely no signs of degradation. The image below of the receptacle was AFTER the fire and even though there was a conflagration behind it - whatever they made the middle part from didn't show any signs of distress - essentially fire proof. Yes, the dockside shore power breaker blew. Yes, it was the latest GFI protection on new docks. But overload breakers don't protect against heat caused by a high resistance connection - they only blow when the circuit load exceeds the breaker's load limit. GFI breakers only work to protect against live to ground current leakage. Only a thermal breaker at the point of the heat source will protect against a high resistance connection and this was one of the primary reasons that 6.5 years earlier, I purchased the SmartPlug to replace my old 30A Marinco receptacle that had started showing signs of thermal damage.

Unfortunately the back of the SmartPlug receptacle is made from material that can and did melt. That flaming melted goo went down the AC wire and stopped at the PVC conduit carrying the DC wires and set it on fire - all buried inside the back of my boat behind the engine panel and the rest as they say was history... Right before the start of the pandemic lockdown I lost the boat I had since new, had maintained like my aircraft and dearly loved.

The pictures and the fire investigation clearly show that the fire started behind the Smartplug. As an engineer I wanted to know how a fire could start behind what was supposed to be a thermally protected receptacle! You be the judge of the X-ray images.

Here are the pictures:

This is what the receptacle looked like Post fire!

Here are the X-ray images of the burned receptacle:

This is the receptacle from another boat that almost caught fire!!

You can clearly see that the X-rays show that there is a direct connection between the inside wires and the lugs on the Smartplug that go directly through the housing.

The last picture is that of another Smartplug (also about 6 years in service) from another boat where the owner happened to be on board when he smelt electrical smoke and disconnected the shore power before an inferno started. You can clearly see where the problem started.

Why, after about 6+ years did this happen?

Well - first of all it is clear that the thermal protection advertised for this receptacle failed to do its job.

But why the melted wire - as shown in the last picture? Because the Smartplug receptacle has nickel plated steel lugs/pins, unlike the typical Marinco (round 30/50A) receptacles that use copper lugs/pins. The AC wire inside the boat is copper. Need I say more? In a marine environment, the dissimilar metals between the nickel plated steel and the copper wire setup galvanic corrosion whereas this won't happen with the typical copper lug/pin Marinco receptacles.

Unlike the Marinco which shows evidence of failure/overheating in the form of externally visible discoloration of the plastic in the receptacle - giving warning of failure, the Smartplug conceals such failure from view - behind it and out of sight! For some reason the materials used on the backside of the receptacle are nowhere near as fireproof as the middle of it!

For the last year+ I have been so angry. I have blamed myself for not being able to put out the fire - I was nearby when it started but it was already too far along by the time I got to the boat. My attempt to put it out by fighting it down below landed me in the ER. Thankfully the fireboat arrived quickly and prevented the boat from burning to the waterline which also preserved the evidence of how the fire started. Total time of the fire was about 10-15 minutes and the boat was totalled - burned inside from stern to bow!

I never in a million years thought that I would need to remove the 4 screws that secured the receptacle to the boat to look behind it to check for any potential issues!!

4 f***ing screws and I would still have my boat... :-(

But I am seriously pissed off at SmartPlug because they set me up for a total false sense of security - the very reason that I installed their f***ing receptacle in the first place - to protect against the possibility of exactly what happened - a shore fire induced electrical fire!!

Everyone one of these receptacles are ticking timebombs - they are ALL suffering galvanic corrosion and likely most, if not all of them have no internal thermal protection as advertised. Who knows how many boats have been lost already!

I hope one day to find another boat and I will no longer take any chances - I plan to install a stainless steel junction box behind the AC receptacle into which I will also install a real thermal breaker with visible external status/reset. If it ever goes - it will not reset automatically. I will carry the internal main copper AC wires inside a stainless flex conduit to the main AC breaker which I will also enclose in a stainless steel junction box with its own thermal breaker. Exposed AC wire and connections are not allowed in any building. Commercial buildings require steel junction boxes and conduit for all AC wires! Why is this same standard not applied to boats???

And I will make a point of inspecting the back side of the shore power receptacle annually for any signs of failure.

Tags
plug