Originally Posted by evm1024
The primary risk of fire etc (in LiFePO4) is associated with over charging
. Over Drawing the battery
down too many times more likely will be a wallet event. Some will argue the safety
but that is moot in my mind (plenty of LA explosions with the resulting acid mess) if you stay in the safe operating envelope of the device.
I was thinking about this a bit, and started to wonder: if you have a slow sort of charger
setup (example: 100W solar
panel), and you try to overcharge a LiFePO4
with that, does it just act like a 100W resistor, and so long as the battery
can dissipate that much input heat load without reaching the venting temperature/pressure combination, it just sits relatively quiescent albeit warmer? The charts
like this (http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2...sp_08_roth.pdf
) seem to imply that LiFePO4
starts turning excessive charging
energy to heat instantaneously vs. storing it as energy or stripping lithium metal out. The EV guys with their kilowatt rated chargers have issues still as it's a lot harder to dump that much heat out without raising the cell temperatures but that's not the use case for small marine
Does this sound completely out of left field?