Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2017, 10:48   #1

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Small genset advice?

I need to replace my Onan 5 KW genset and am looking for a non-Onan between 4.5 and 5.5 kw. I have looked at Nextgen and Phasor. Other genset makers seem to have dropped their under 6KW units from their offerings (Norpro and Kohler). I really don't have the ability to load up a 6KW+ properly and all of them weigh substantially more than the genset I'm trying to replace. I don't need the extra weight and size of a 6KW+ genset. I do on occasion need to supply about 30 amps for several hours so a smaller genset and inverter won't cut it. I do plan to add an inverter/charger to improve my bulk charging rate. I have been advised by Nextgen that their unit has significant issues passing the genset power through the built in transfer switches in the inverter/chargers while the the charger function is operating. It seems that feedback from the charger is causing issues with the simple capacitor based voltage regulating system.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone with personal experience with the Phasor 4.5kw generator. I have done searches for other threads and found substantial reference to the Nextgen, but not much in the way of actual feedback on the Phasor. I have ruled out whisper and Fisher-Panda based on feedback from this and other web sites.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 11:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Small genset advice?

I can tell you that Nexgen has changed generator heads now and uses a different manufacturer.
I believe the new one is a Syncro
My 3.5 KW plays perfectly fine with everything including my 2.8 KW, 125 amp Magnum inverter \ charger.

If you get a Nexgen, remove the mechanical water pump and stow it for a spare, then plumb in a March pump, that does a couple of things, first you can crank it all day long and not get any water in the exhaust cause there won't be any water flow until the generator makes 110VAC, and to me more importantly the pump can't wear it's seals out and spray salt water all around inside of the generator enclosure until one day it finally seizes and of course the generator overheats and safety shuts down.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 12:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I can tell you that Nexgen has changed generator heads now and uses a different manufacturer.
I believe the new one is a Syncro
My 3.5 KW plays perfectly fine with everything including my 2.8 KW, 125 amp Magnum inverter \ charger.

If you get a Nexgen, remove the mechanical water pump and stow it for a spare, then plumb in a March pump, that does a couple of things, first you can crank it all day long and not get any water in the exhaust cause there won't be any water flow until the generator makes 110VAC, and to me more importantly the pump can't wear it's seals out and spray salt water all around inside of the generator enclosure until one day it finally seizes and of course the generator overheats and safety shuts down.
That's interesting feedback because I just talked to Nextgen last Friday and they told me they still had the problem. I understand what you are saying about the pump as I've had problems along those lines with my Onan. That is not the reason I am getting rid of it however as it has other issues.
Old 18-07-2017, 12:38   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I've got no personal experience with it, but am quite interested in the phasor K2-4.5pmg

It's a small 1800 rpm unit.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 15:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I've got no personal experience with it, but am quite interested in the phasor K2-4.5pmg

It's a small 1800 rpm unit.

If I understand it correctly this unit uses a capacitor type voltage regulator as well. They use a "pancake generator" from marathon electric. If you look at Marathon's info they off either a capacitor type of voltage regulator or an AVR. Phasor advertises that it does not use expensive difficult to repair electronic regulators, which is usually called an AVR. There are number of things that an AVR does that a capacitor based system does not do such as power factor correction. I'm trying to get feedback on real world experiences with them to see if it really matters.
Old 18-07-2017, 16:32   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Small genset advice?

Nexgen used to offer an AVR equipped unit I believe, and I was going to buy one and was told that I didn't need it, and I don't.

Place is in or close to Jacksonville, wonder why we got such differing advice?
Now mine was running lower voltage than I liked, and I found out by trying that you can vary voltage by changing the capacitor value, Hz rate is of course RPM. Now mine is running at 62 Hz and real close to 130 VAC unloaded, and 58 Hz and close to 110 VAC loaded hard, with it at 120 VAC at 60 Hz at an average 20 amp load.

What made them change to the Syncro generator had nothing to do with the generator, Kubota had made a change to the little one cylinder and it no longer had what drove the water pump, but the Syncro generator head can apparently drive the belt for the water pump.
They used to have issues with the exhaust riser, but have fixed that, and mine has a real difficult to seal heat exchanger, but the newer ones have that fixed also, if I have more issue with my heat ex sealing, I'll buy one of the new ones.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 18:55   #7

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I'am looking at the NextGen 5.5 to replace a Westerbeke 8.0. I like the lighter weight and the 5.5 will supply power for anything I need it for with a little management to not overload it.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 19:19   #8

We're happy with our little Westerbeke 5kw generator.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 06:10   #9

I had not considered the Westerbeke as there have been numerous posts about the cost of Westerbeke parts on the forum. So for River Cruiser, is there any particular reason other than weight that you are replacing yours? For Joli, have you had any problem getting parts and were they expensive? The argument I have heard for Phasor and NextGen is that they use easily obtained parts that don't have to come from the manufacturer and this is not so for Westerbeke.
Old 19-07-2017, 08:52   #10

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

My Westerbeke was running fine during a cruise to Lake Michigan, we anchored out most nights. After we got back it sat unused for 6-8 weeks and when I tried to start to winterize it would spin but not fire. I went through all the steps to analyze the problem - fuel filters, clean all battery connections, check glow plugs, rebuild injectors and pump. It had 2 bad injectors and I thought that should surely fix it but it didn't. I then bought a kit to check compression and had low compression on cylinders 2&3. The NextGen weight and footprint make it a good fit, I also like the idea of off the counter parts, Westerbeke is very very proud of the red paint they put on the Mitsubishi parts. I have found a much cheaper source for the engine parts other than the parts to marinize the Mitsubishi.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 19:12   #11

Does anyone have a preference on the Phasor versus NextGen 3.5kw units? I am trying to decide between the two. I am in the Pacific NW. I would be replacing an old 3.5 kw unit (unsure of the manufacturer but looks very similar to the NextGen) that was left to rot with sewater in it many years ago.
imus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I have been advised by Nextgen that their unit has significant issues passing the genset power through the built in transfer switches in the inverter/chargers while the the charger function is operating. It seems that feedback from the charger is causing issues with the simple capacitor based voltage regulating system.

Unless you are using the house bank to start the gen I don’t see how that is possible. Gen should have own battery. And would not be charging from the inverter / charger. Therefore gen would see no feedback.

Opps 5 year old thread….
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote