Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2006, 08:15   #1

Small Diesel Generators

Is anyone using these small diesel generators?

http://www.auroragenerators.com/Dies...rs-p-1-c-2.htm

I am aware of all the concerns about noise, fumes, etc but these seem to be a real alternative to the overpriced "marine" generators that are sold out there. Of course all the advantages of diesel come with these, use of one fuel, not having to store more Gasoline, durability and economy.

Does anyone have one of these? What has been your experience?

I know there is a thread here about Gas generators but why buy gas when the diesel is available for just a bit more?

I'd like to hear any comments on sizing. for my electrical system - I would use this primarily to charge my two 8D house Batts and my smaller start Batt. through my AC Batt charger. Also to power some smaller hand tools.

My first take on this is to perm install with an overboard exhaust just like my main engine in a soundproof area.

All ideas, comments and criticisms are welcome.

Alan Perry
S/V Oceanus
Seattle WA
Old 27-07-2006, 14:54   #2
cruiser

Althought I couldn't open your link, I assume you are buying a regular generator on your boat instead of a "marine" generator. I did the same thing and couldn't be happier with the extra $7000 I still have in my pocket.

Not a sinlge anchoring neighbor has had a problem with my 1 hour genset run each day, and I've been at anchor since May or so. (ok... one guy didn't like it, but he is on this forum (wink))

If you buy a very powerful one, you can get all of your daily energy requirements taken care of in an hour. It might be loud, but it's only loud for an hour, as opposed to the smaller "quiet" ones that are humming away all afternoon on many boats around here.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 15:17   #3

Yes, sorry about the link, I will change it. I didn't realize it didnt' work until it was too late.

I agree with you I would rather have the extra money to buy...gee lets see...a new car! Jeez the cost of those "marine" generators is outrageous. the one in the link runs at about 65-70 db well that is actually pretty quiet.

I am sensitive to the "being a good neihbor" thing too and dont appreciate unwanted noise at inappropriate times anymore than the next guy. But 1 hour is a reasonable duration if it is at a reasonable time.

thanks
Alan
Old 27-07-2006, 15:19   #4

Bad Link...Good Link

Here is that Link corrected. Sorry for any frustration it may have caused.

[URL="http://www.auroragenerators.com"]http://www.auroragenerators.com[/URL
Old 27-07-2006, 15:19   #5

It still doesnt work...back to the drawing board
Old 27-07-2006, 15:25   #6

www.auroragenerators.com
Old 28-07-2006, 07:27   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanperry
Yes, sorry about the link, I will change it. I didn't realize it didnt' work until it was too late.

I agree with you I would rather have the extra money to buy...gee lets see...a new car! Jeez the cost of those "marine" generators is outrageous. the one in the link runs at about 65-70 db well that is actually pretty quiet.

I am sensitive to the "being a good neihbor" thing too and dont appreciate unwanted noise at inappropriate times anymore than the next guy. But 1 hour is a reasonable duration if it is at a reasonable time.

thanks
Alan
Alan, I have found (with Kai Nui's help) that noon is about the right time to do your hour genset run. People are either a) underway, or b) working on something or ashore. You will have far less people around than in early morning or evening. You can even run underway, provided you are motoring. (They advise against running the genset at a great angle of heel because the oil pump isn't designed for it). However, it seem to work fine if the seas are relatively calm and you are motoring.

Of course, most people wouldn't have to run it at all motoring, but in my setup, I have a 120VAC fridge I have to run during my hour run time. So... even when there is plenty of DC power, I still have to run to make things cold.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2006, 08:30   #8

I would agree on noon as a good time to run the Genset. for all the reasons you state.

Of course I am a guy that can sleep like a baby as long as there is a diesel engine running nearby. Comes from many hours of sleeping next to one on a fishing boat in Alaska and running my big trucks. I realize I am in a minority here
Old 13-02-2013, 05:30   #9

Re: Small Diesel Generators

Now I have to wonder if I was annoying my anchorage neighbors in the Bahamas last year. I was running the genset through sundown so I could use the extra power to run my electric skillet etc while cooking dinner. Sound shields are important.
H Romberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 05:40   #10

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Althought I couldn't open your link, I assume you are buying a regular generator on your boat instead of a "marine" generator. I did the same thing and couldn't be happier with the extra $7000 I still have in my pocket.

Not a sinlge anchoring neighbor has had a problem with my 1 hour genset run each day, and I've been at anchor since May or so. (ok... one guy didn't like it, but he is on this forum (wink))

If you buy a very powerful one, you can get all of your daily energy requirements taken care of in an hour. It might be loud, but it's only loud for an hour, as opposed to the smaller "quiet" ones that are humming away all afternoon on many boats around here.
I think you may be doing a bit of rationalizing about being a bad neighbor. What type of battery/charger are you running that can top off in an hour?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 05:43   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
To get a meaningful charge into your batteries usually takes more than an hour, even if you have a huge charger. That is because of the acceptance rate of the batts.

Although I have a 2kW+ battery charger, it nevertheless takes a good 3 hours to get my batts from 50% charge to 80% charge, and much longer to get beyond 80%.

A quiet, lower-powered generator run for several hours is much more useful than a noisy, higher-powered one run for one hour.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 06:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
To get a meaningful charge into your batteries usually takes more than an hour, even if you have a huge charger. That is because of the acceptance rate of the batts.

Although I have a 2kW+ battery charger, it nevertheless takes a good 3 hours to get my batts from 50% charge to 80% charge, and much longer to get beyond 80%.

A quiet, lower-powered generator run for several hours is much more useful than a noisy, higher-powered one run for one hour.
That's why a lot of bigger power boats wind up with a small battery charging genset, and a larger run everything on the boat genset that doesn't get run very often.
H Romberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 07:07   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Romberg View Post
That's why a lot of bigger power boats wind up with a small battery charging genset, and a larger run everything on the boat genset that doesn't get run very often.
Indeed, and what a lot of equipment to maintain

This is a huge argument in favor of solar power -- slow, steady, silent charging to keep your batts topped off and happy.

It's also an argument in favor of a small but super-silent diesel generator you could leave running most of the time. With the new technology of Master Volt and Victron which lets you blend inverter power with your generator (or shore) power to shave peaks off your AC demand, you don't need genset capacity equal to your biggest loads. Something closer to your average loads is enough. My genset produces 6.5kW; I reckon I would be fine with 3kW or even 2kW (I don't have air conditioning), IF the generator were super silent.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 11:01   #14

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Get yourself a Honda 2000i, about $900, it will run all day on a gallon of gas.
No set up costs. Forget your inverter, just run your generator for power and trickle charge your batts.
A good marine generator installed with a charger/inverter and a good set of batts will run you 15 to 20 k and last maybe 5 years.
Do the math. How much do you use your boat? How long are you going to live?
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 14:25   #15

Too heavy.... 363 lbs !!
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel