Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 19:47   #1

Single Point Charging Issues

This came up in a different thread, but I thought it best to start a new thread.

I had redesigned my system to use the Blue Sea Dual Circuit Switch and a Balmar Digital Duo. After seeing the below post, I grabbed the schematic and yes the Nanni is like that also. Doesn't seem to be any place to break out the B+ from the Alternator.

If there is only one point for starter and alternator, how do you start with one bank and charge the other using dual circuits and an ACR with the start battery receiving the echo charge?

Do I have to go back to a traditional Bat 1, Bat 2, Bat 1+2 switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir
With the 3ym30 engine, there is one location for both charging current output and starter power input. This as you are probably aware is a terminal on the starter.
Keith

Is this the case with other marine engines? My boatyard is finishing the install of my Nanni and there is only one wire from the starter area to the battery switch. There seems to be no connection from the alternator itself other than the external regulator. I have separate house and starting circuits using a Blue Sea Dual Circuit Battery switch and had planned for the starting battery to feed the starter and the alternator to feed the house with an echoe charge to the start battery.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 18:15   #2
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
redcobra-Treat the two systems, house and start, like, well, two systems. Heaviest demand will be to charge the house bank. Route the output of the alternator (using conductors that yield < 3% voltage drop) through an appropriately sized fuse at the alternator end to the house bank B+ bus, again through an appropriately sized fuse. That's right, ABYC Standard E-11 requires a fuse at each end of this imortant conductor. Install the Balmar Duo Charge between the house bank B+ bus and the starting battery B+ bus. The Duo Charge will allow up to 30 amps of charging to the starting bank. If you use your starting bank to run a thruster or an anchor windlass, this charging rate may be too low for you and your better bet would be to install a battery combiner (Blue Sea Systems Automatic Charge Relay (ACR); model 7610 or latching model 7620 or 7622) between the two busses.

The Dual circuit switch also is "between" the starting bank and the house bank. When the switch is ON, both banks are supply power to their respective loads. When the switch is in "COMBINE BATTERIES" the batteries are combined.

A starting system and a house system with charging controlled either by the Duo Charge or an ACR. Isolated by the required battery switch but able to combine the two systems if need be.

Hope this helps.
Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 18:28   #3

That's the way i wanted to do it, but I can't break out the alternator output. The B+ from the alternator goes back through the solenoid point. Nanni says if I change the wiring I will void the warranty.
Page 16 of the manual here shows the schematic
http://www.nannidiesel.com/images/st...%20English.pdf
Old 12-06-2009, 18:53   #4
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
redcobra-
"...void the warranty.", obviously an illogical restriction by "someone" in the Nanni food chain. Its your boat; my only suggestion would be to kick the decision up the food chain with a sketch to show how you want to wire your boat. If "they" won't bend on such a minor, minor point, then ...its your boat and do what you think you must do to have a functioning, safe, ABYC compliant system.

On the other hand, I would question the validity of their interpretation of the warranty...does it specifically state that you cannot change the configuration of the alternator output? If this would "void the warranty" then methinks they protesteth too much!!!

Need I point out that, after all, you spent the $ to put their product in your boat so you should be treated intelligently. What you want to do is technically and operationally correct. To be quite frank about it, wiring the alternator to the starter solenoid without any over current protection is not in accordance with ABYC E-11.

Then again, its your boat.

(A bit of apology: I am a technical guy...I don't usually rail like this but..."void the warranty"...on your boat...YEESHHHH!)

Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 12:41   #5

CharlieJ;
Thanks for all your help. They fired up the engine today and the alternator started smoking. They have diagnosed it as a defective alternator and are sending a new one. Of course, the first question they asked was, "Did you change the wiring?" The marina certified that they/I didn't. And a new alternator is enroute NC. Glad I waited. I will be using the Bluesea 7610ACR with the alternator charging the start battery and the ACR taking care of the house. If this isnot sufficient, after the warranty period I will break out the alternator and feed the house first.

Another interesting note is that the engine appears to have never been run. The Marina said all the filters were dry etc. We both wondered why this engine had not been test run prior to shipment. The Marina said that the other engines they have installed come pre-run. Looks like Nanni (Waterway Power Center in Annapolis, the US distributor) did not test run the engine at all. They would have found the alt problem if they had.

More than a little P*ssed,
Alan