Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-03-2015, 13:12   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Simplified & Practical Lithium Charging?

Dave-
I think you'll find on Page 17, paragraph 3, line 19, of our arbitration settlement, we're not allowed to express agreement on any technical points or issues in public. (VBG)

" ( there are ways to protect the alternator ) " And, while protection is good, I'm told that there are in fact alternator designs by quirky little companies like Delco, that have that protection actually built into the alternator! So when some shadetree thief unplugs it and tries to say "See mister? Your alternator ain't putting out!" it will in fact spit in his face and continue to work afterwards.(G)
Not common, but they do exist. Unsafe, of course, to presume one has one, without checking first.

But I hear that Amazon and Tesla have cut a deal, they'll deliver and swap out fully charged battery banks, by drone, up to 500 miles from any major port. And if you subscribe with a credit card, you'll get automatic notification and email messaging to let you know whenever a swap has been scheduled for you!

To think, folks used to CHARGE their own batteries? What, is that like washing and re-using dirty dishes and what did they call it, laundry? ROFL!

Old 14-03-2015, 14:17   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Grow up kids.

Old 14-03-2015, 14:33   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
warrior-
fwiw "cheap" is a relative term. It takes more than two cheap wires for a BMS to cut off charging to each cell. You will need a fairly robust and expensive relay to handle 400A without any chance of arcing and with a good working life, as it will routinely control the start/stop of charging. And you need one per cell, so you'll need at least four of them. And, you might want four "safety" devices for when the relays do or will eventually fail. Putting 400A across relay contacts on four cells will call for some robust parts selection. Not impossible--but it won't be a $100 project.
And then too, you will also need three more high power relays to bring the cells back together into series configuration, to let them operate as a 12V battery when you're done.
No, wait, you may also need to do all of this twice, because you'll need an auxiliary battery to use for your 12v needs while the main battery is broken down to 3.5 volt cells that are individually charging. And some more switching and protective and control circuitry.

Wait a minute, what happened to "simplicity" ?!
Takes a monitor with 2 wires to control voltage of each cell by set point
Takes a monitor like that one to trigger the relays to control charging and cut off points
Xantrex LinkPro Battery Monitor, EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits

Be constructive. You are up grading the boat and this is a one time installation
or
Keep on carrying 1/2 ton of lead acid batteries

Do the numbers on the same energy storage,
add space and weight savings
Old 14-03-2015, 17:09   #34
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Dave-
I think you'll find on Page 17, paragraph 3, line 19, of our arbitration settlement, we're not allowed to express agreement on any technical points or issues in public. (VBG)

" ( there are ways to protect the alternator ) " And, while protection is good, I'm told that there are in fact alternator designs by quirky little companies like Delco, that have that protection actually built into the alternator! So when some shadetree thief unplugs it and tries to say "See mister? Your alternator ain't putting out!" it will in fact spit in his face and continue to work afterwards.(G)
Not common, but they do exist. Unsafe, of course, to presume one has one, without checking first.

But I hear that Amazon and Tesla have cut a deal, they'll deliver and swap out fully charged battery banks, by drone, up to 500 miles from any major port. And if you subscribe with a credit card, you'll get automatic notification and email messaging to let you know whenever a swap has been scheduled for you!

To think, folks used to CHARGE their own batteries? What, is that like washing and re-using dirty dishes and what did they call it, laundry? ROFL!

My people need to contact your people over that agreement.

Indeed my modern alternators can actually survive a load dump. Equally you could switch on a big power resistors and cut the charge feed to the bank etc. of course there is the proper way too.

I think people looking to use Li without accepting what it is, are sonewhat strange.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-03-2015, 19:29   #35

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Here is the simple and practical lithium charge system
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chargee.png
Views:	77
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	98876  

Tags
cal, charging

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: