Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2013, 07:58   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
Silentwind wind generator thoughts

I'm zeroing in on a replacement wind generator for our old Air-X, and have come up with the Spreco Silentwind as a top contender. I've read all that has been said here on CF regarding the Silentwind, as well as the other threads about windgens. But since the Silentwind is fairly new on the scene, I'd love to hear from those who've got some experience with them.

Factors I'm balancing are:

- Quality and durability; it's gotta last.
- Output; especially across the 10 to 20 knot range
- Noise level; quieter the better.
- Ease of installation; I would like to use our existing 2" mast.
- Expandability; potential to add solar to the controller system.
- Cost; I have some money now, but won't when we leave in 1 1/2 years.

BTW, others I'm still considering are: KISS, Superwind 350, D400 and Airmaax.
Old 13-01-2013, 08:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Silentwind wind generator thoughts

Mike... I cannot add anything besides noise at the moment, but the D400 on our boat is the quietest thing I have ever heard.... Not loaded in 30kts... I couldn't hear it... Others will need to fill in for the rest...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 12:06   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Silentwind is just another copy of the excellent and noisy Air-X. It is less noisy though! I do not like the external regulation idea but it may make sense (or not - look up the regulator's specs for that) when additional solar input is expected now or later down the road.

D400 is an excellent toy too, but way heavier than Air-X. D-400 is very quiet indeed.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 12:15   #4

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Another contender is the Air Breeze. I have had it a year and am satisfied. I will get the Blue blades that will make it much quieter, 75US I think. I don't think it is noisy, but my wife is pushing for the new blades. It also has an internal regulator and fits the 2" pipe.
I was going to get the D400, great wind gen. 2 things stopped me, the price and also it needs an external regulator or manual if you are always on the boat. I decided for my needs that the AirBreeze fits the best.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 14:27   #5

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I am purchasing an AIRMAAX, made by a Canadian Company, ElectroMaax. I am already using their High Output Alternator (160 amp) and like the company.

The Airmaax is a little pricey, but it is Military Specs and used by the USCG on Sea Buoys... These are designed for High Output at low wind speeds.

The six carbonfiber blades make the unit one of the quietest on the market.

You can also pair the Airmaax with two solar panels, up to 180 watts through its controller.

The company claims in 15 knots of constant wind, you can average 200 amp days.

The unit comes assembled, except the blades.

Hope that helps

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 14:41   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

We have installed a Silentwind on our boat - she is on the hard and will hopefully be splashed this week. We previously had the Spraeco blades on an older Air-403, they are SO MUCH QUIETER then the stock blades, very much night and day.

I was on the fence about the external regulator, but I do like that you can see and set the parameters such as brake voltage, etc, digitally. It also totals AM produced, which is nice.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 14:47   #7
Marine Service Provider

We looked at the lot of them at the Annapolis boatshow last year. I really liked the Elecromaxx, but it did not allow us to change some of the charging parameters, so they would be compatible with LIFEPO4.

Chris
Old 13-01-2013, 14:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Another contender is the Air Breeze. I have had it a year and am satisfied. I will get the Blue blades that will make it much quieter, 75US I think. I don't think it is noisy, but my wife is pushing for the new blades. It also has an internal regulator and fits the 2" pipe.
I was going to get the D400, great wind gen. 2 things stopped me, the price and also it needs an external regulator or manual if you are always on the boat. I decided for my needs that the AirBreeze fits the best.
Thanks for the suggestion landonshaw, although I must admit I am leery of the Air Breeze give that it appears to be the successor to the Air-X. I know noise is subjective, but ours screamed like a banshee when the wind piped up. Reviews I've read also suggest the Breeze is on the louder side of things, although the blue blades do appear to make a big difference.

Thanks to for the D400 suggestions (both from you and barnakiel). I've sat right beside one of these babies and hardly heard a whisper. Power profile looks great too. The only problem for us is the weight. It's probably too heavy for our set up.

Keem the comments coming!
Old 13-01-2013, 15:15   #9
Marine Service Provider

The blue blades are about $300, not $75.00

Chris
Old 13-01-2013, 15:59   #10

ouch!
Old 13-01-2013, 16:41   #11

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

No, worse. From the factory €246 plus VAT if purchased in EU: Wind Generator Turbine

In the U.S., $349 (plus sales tax if applicable): SilentWind Silent Power Blades - eMarine Systems

Considering the extra power output at usual wind speeds, not to mention improved survival rates among fellow cruisers, perhaps not a bad deal.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 17:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
I am purchasing an AIRMAAX, made by a Canadian Company, ElectroMaax. I am already using their High Output Alternator (160 amp) and like the company.

The Airmaax is a little pricey, but it is Military Specs and used by the USCG on Sea Buoys... These are designed for High Output at low wind speeds.

The six carbonfiber blades make the unit one of the quietest on the market.

You can also pair the Airmaax with two solar panels, up to 180 watts through its controller.

The company claims in 15 knots of constant wind, you can average 200 amp days.

The unit comes assembled, except the blades.
Thanks jeremiason, I really like the Airmaax, and am still considering it. The fact that it is Canadian is a nice plus for this ol' Canuck. But according to the specs that is on their website, their controller accepts an additional 100 watt of solar ... or did I miss something?
Old 13-01-2013, 17:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
We have installed a Silentwind on our boat - she is on the hard and will hopefully be splashed this week. We previously had the Spraeco blades on an older Air-403, they are SO MUCH QUIETER then the stock blades, very much night and day.

I was on the fence about the external regulator, but I do like that you can see and set the parameters such as brake voltage, etc, digitally. It also totals AM produced, which is nice.

Chris
Thanks Chris, what made you decide on the Silentwind or the other options? I'd love to hear your feedback once she starts whirring.

The external regulator/switch is no real problem for me. Just another small wiring job. And the fact that the Silentwind controller comes pre-speced to accept 180 watts of solar is a real bonus.
Old 13-01-2013, 17:58   #14

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

I know that you said that weight may be an issue for you but my vote goes to the D400 which are very quiet units. Several charter boats run them here on Sydney Harbour. One skipper has 2 of them on a Seawind 1160 catamaran which speaks for itself - you would not want wind gens driving your customers crazy with noise which is why he went for the D400's and is very happy with them.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 05:09   #15

To install the Blue Blades on the Air Breeze, it looks like you need to also purchase a replacement Hub - WGP20350 for 60US. Is this true?

I have heard the Blue Blades are good, are they really. Has anyone out there replaced their blades with this style and did it live up to its' claims? Thanks Aloisius

Tags
generator, wind