Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-03-2013, 09:08   #31

Boat: Hans Christian 33
I have a 914i and its all right. Yes very quiet, but needs a lot of wind to get +amps. I will be going Kiss on the next boat.

Old 13-03-2013, 09:16   #32

Re: Silentwind wind generator thoughts

In regards to Silentwind, it’s basically an Air-Breeze clone. So all the associate problems (electrical braking which causes the stator to overheat). In the UK, Practical boat owner did test on 14 different machines at our facility. The ‘spreco’ – Silentwind. Burnt itself out.

So basically it’s a Chinese import branded up,

Old 21-06-2013, 18:10   #33

Boat: Hughes/Perry custom CF 63' tri; Hughes 46 custom tri, Hobie 20 Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewiz View Post
In regards to Silentwind, it’s basically an Air-Breeze clone. So all the associate problems (electrical braking which causes the stator to overheat). In the UK, Practical boat owner did test on 14 different machines at our facility. The ‘spreco’ – Silentwind. Burnt itself out.

So basically it’s a Chinese import branded up,
Has enough time elapsed where you might share the results of the 14 wind turbines? Thx in advance.
Old 22-06-2013, 08:26   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I too can chuck in a piece of first hand experience with Silentwind.

We motored from the berth to the boatyard, wind not more than 15kts.

Man, the thing IS too noisy. What a disappointment. Typical Air-Thing hisssssssss.

b.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:53   #35

Boat: Rafiki 37

Well, I've finally got my Silentwind up and running. I was onboard all yesterday, and winds were sustained 12-15 all day, with the occasional gusty periods up around 17/18. I am very noise-sensitive, so I approached this first day fully expecting to be disappointed.

First impressions:
  1. Power output is as advertised. 2-4 amps in around 12 knots. 6+ with wind up around 17knts.
  2. It is not silent, but it is waaaaay quieter than our previous Air-X. It is very quiet up to about 15knts. After that it starts to develop a high pitch whine. It is very slight at first, but does seem to increase with wind speed.
At five boat lengths I could hear nothing at all.

I polled my fellow slip-mates. On the one side (a powerboater who seemed to dislike all windmills) had nothing negative to say about the sound, even when invited to do so. On my port side the fellow sailor expressed amazement at how quiet it was.

There is still lots of testing to do. I've very curious about how the sounds will increase as winds move through 20knts. So far, I'm quite pleased.
Old 30-07-2013, 05:50   #36

Just back from two weeks on L. Superior. Our new 12v SilentWind performed very well. It is not silent, but is leaps and bounds quieter than our old Air-X. Noise is subjective, but I found it to be very inoffensive, even when seated right below while running in 20 knots of wind. Conversations could easily be carried out without having to raise your voice. Boats anchored nearby report hearing nothing, and it appeared (to my ears) to be completely silent from three boat lengths away.

I am pleased with the power output, although it is a little less than advertised. It would start up at around 8 knots, but it takes about 12 knots before any real power starts generating. We would start seeing 1 amp at about 12 knots, and ~3-4 amps around 15 knots. After that it really take off. In 20 knots we were getting over 8-10 amps, and I'm sure I saw 17 amps at 25 knots.

The controller comes with a handy brake button, which we used in a gale. It has safety cut offs when the batteries hit high voltage/amperage (programmable). On a few windy days we were generating more power than we could use. Of course, on non-windy days the opposite was true ... I guess I need a bigger battery bank...

Anyway, just wanted to give more real-world feedback.
Old 30-07-2013, 07:20   #37

Thanks for the feed back.

Can you advise what the programmable cut-off and limits are for both the Volts and amps?
Old 30-07-2013, 07:27   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleprop View Post
Thanks for the feed back.

Can you advise what the programmable cut-off and limits are for both the Volts and amps?
I think the default voltage cut off is 14.3. Not sure about the amperage level, but can dig it out when I get back to the boat in a few days. Both are programmable, and can be set to whatever works for your batteries.
Old 30-07-2013, 07:37   #39

Thanks, will appreciate that.

I am interested due to a possible Lithium bank......so it would be nice to know the exact limits.
Old 30-07-2013, 07:57   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Mike, how were you measuring the wind speed in your report? If it was via a masthead anemometer, do remember that the wind aloft is normally stronger than at typical wind-gen mounting heights. I suspect that this anomaly causes many of the reports of low outputs compared to mfg's claims.

Anyhow, glad to hear that it is quieter... next time I replace a blade on my Air-X I'll likely go with the "blue blades".

Cheers,

Jim
Old 30-07-2013, 08:25   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Mike, how were you measuring the wind speed in your report? If it was via a masthead anemometer, do remember that the wind aloft is normally stronger than at typical wind-gen mounting heights. I suspect that this anomaly causes many of the reports of low outputs compared to mfg's claims.
Good point Jim. I was using my masthead meter ~50ft up. My windmill is perhaps 15ft up, so there will be a difference, especially at lower speeds. So you're probably correct; this could account for some of the difference. The manufacturer also did their tests in wind tunnels under ideal conditions, so I would never expect to achieve their numbers. And finally, I must admit I did not approach my test with any sense of scientific rigour. My observations were made ad-hoc.

All these things considered, I'm quite happy with the output. It's close enough to the stated specs, and is a lot quieter than our old windmill (air-x).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Anyhow, glad to hear that it is quieter... next time I replace a blade on my Air-X I'll likely go with the "blue blades".
I don't know if the quietness is due to the "blue blades," or to the windmill itself, or to some combination of the two. I know people report big improvements with Spreco's blue blades. I'd certainly give them a try.
Old 25-08-2013, 01:45   #42

Mike, did you have time to find the upper and lower settings of the Silentwind controller?
Old 25-08-2013, 05:13   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleprop View Post
Mike, did you have time to find the upper and lower settings of the Silentwind controller?
Sorry Singleprop, I've looked at the manual, and played with the controller. It seems to be infinitely programmable. I could find no limits. You can set it to anything you want.

The controller manual is online here..
Old 29-08-2013, 21:35   #44

Thanks Mike.

I contacted the factory and they reply is inline with your observations, their reply is copied below:

""For our charge controller, the charge voltage range is not fixed. Because the controller's​ parameter​ can be​ adjustable by users.

​For example, in 12V system:

If the overdischarge voltage protection is 10.5V; and the overcharge voltage protection is 14.4V. The charging voltage range is 10.5V to 14.4V.

So the charging voltage range will be changed if​ either of the two protection voltage is changed.""

So it seems like this controller is a very good match for LiFEPO4 batteries.
Old 29-08-2013, 21:40   #45

this is the manual they send me - its different from the Silentwind controller manual.
Silentwind manual.pdf

Tags
generator, wind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: